The UK went Mega...

"We need you !" was the annoucement we made seven months ago...

Today you came and I can announce that the official number of attendees that signed the event log was 928 !

Well done to you all... The UK Went Mega today.

On behalf of the committee we hope you have all enjoyed your day(s) up in Yorkshire and have found some amazing caches.

Personally I have made so many new friends over the last week and I look forward to seeing you all again hoepfully soon !

Robin

Harrogate Hunters

Mega Event Committee

I have to say I TOTALLY ENJOYED MYSELF! :o I had a rough week of working overtime and I was sooooooo looking forward to this precious 3 days off and I'm so glad I used them on the mega event and camping in ripon. I got to meet people I've been wanting to meet for ages and met up with people I met at the last event. As always everyone was super friendly and really helpful. Walking around caching and seeing so many people with pdas and yellow looking things was a real change. I didn't have to keep explaining what I was doing. I also did my first earth cache and Wherigo too.

This was my first visit to Yorkshire and I will def go again in the future and drag my family along to cache and sight see.

Again thank you for a super 3 days :D

Now home again and I'm super exhausted and trying to log everything :D

Kirstin

Edited by Geo.Kitten

On behalf of myself, let me say that the event was superbly organised and very enjoyable. It was a pleasant indulgence to chat to so many friendly and charming people - especially the Scots contingent.

The area is excellent for caching, and we were lucky that the weather was so good despite the dodgy forecasts. In the two days I managed 28 caches (only a handful actually in Harrogate: the countryside nearby is too good to miss). These were probably the most varied I've come across in a small area, from 4.5 difficulty down to the simplest of quick finds. Many thanks to all the cache setters.

I only had chance to grab four waymarks, but they were good ones as well and I could have logged a load more: but the focus was on geocaching this time so I kept mostly to the caches.

The UK's 1st MEGA Event was a credit to all the Committee and volunteers. It was SUPERB - Thank you.

Despite the early problems when the location, venue (Harrogate), and date was a hot topic of debate and received much criticism and sometimes derision from some quarters, you listened to the pleas of cachers and responded sympathetically, yet stoically continuing with your desire to host the MEGA event here in Yorkshire.

You did YORKSHIRE proud by presenting an excellent venue for the event in what is arguably the finest County in the UK... but I would say that being born and bred in God's Own County of Yorkshire... :)

Our visitors from near and far obviously enjoyed what they saw and will hopefully visit Yorkshire again in the future. They will always receive a friendly welcome.

OVERANOUT

Edited by overanout

:)

Now I know why they are called MEGA events. We had a great few days camping, caching and chatting to lots of new and old geo-friends. :)

The kids haven't stopped talking about it either, and they also made a few good friends that we hopefully will meet up with again sometime in the future.

A massive thanks to all the committee and other anonymous helpers for making the whole experience, one we shall remember for a very long time. ;):)

It was great to meet so many from near and (very) far. I was so pleased that the weather cheered up for the proper weekend so that you all saw Harrogate at its best.

I had a great time and learned lots of new things to help me be a better geocacher. Big thanks to the organising team and thanks to eveyone who was so helpful.

Now aiming to get my 100 award and use less paper for cache info.

Chris

Edited by Claroman

We have just got in and may I say we had a FANTASTIC time and really enjoyed ourselves.

Thank you to all who worked so hard to make this a mega event!!! Whoever takes on our second mega will have a challenge!! :):);)

We met a lot of cachers who we have emailed, phoned, read their posts on the forum or met before at events and it was great to group cache for a change - the crowds standing around an area was a bit of a give away. LOL

All I need to do now is log our finds but think I'll leave that until tomorrow - we set our 20 finds in a day - not a lot for many cachers out there but our new record!!! :D:)

I understand it cost you quite a bit not just in terms of time is there anything more we can buy / do to help out ?

Whilst a lot of the committee did have to dig into their pockets prior to the event, we have now covered our costs.

Robin is now taking his annual holiday, upon his return we will make available the full accounts.

There is a surplus, which we did announce what was going to happen to at the events, but for obvious reasons we cannot discuss on this forum.

Jamie.

Arrived home safely today after 5 days away, 1000 miles driving, 2 tanks of diesel , 130 caches, 5 new counties, one new profile icon and a ton of great new friends as well as meeting lots of old ones!

What a brilliant weekend! Thanks to all involved in organising and also to all those that went to the Mega event.

We had a brilliant weekend in Harrogate, the event was just amazing, arrived home today and still buzzing from it all , great to meet so many cachers from further afield that we'd never normally bump into..... there were so many people we didn't get round to seeing - maybe next time !! :(:(

I understand it cost you quite a bit not just in terms of time is there anything more we can buy / do to help out ?

Whilst a lot of the committee did have to dig into their pockets prior to the event, we have now covered our costs.

Jamie.

That's fantastic news as if the committee had not been able to have covered their costs then the possibility of any other future megas would have been unlikely. That though now seems something that we don't have to worry about.

Others have already said it but thanks for the hard work everything to all committee members and for everyone attending to make it a success. It 'twas a graand weekend!

Arrived home safely today after 5 days away, 1000 miles driving, 2 tanks of diesel , 130 caches, 5 new counties, one new profile icon and a ton of great new friends as well as meeting lots of old ones!

Anything else you'd like to mention Stuey?

We walked from the hotel down to Pizza Hut on Sunday evening and passed a couple of traffic wardens showing interest in your car :lol::)

M

We walked from the hotel down to Pizza Hut on Sunday evening and passed a couple of traffic wardens showing interest in your car :):huh:

M

errr, yeah..... a confusing sign by the side of the road and a £35 fine issued at 18:30 on a Sunday B) .... but I was just picking out the highlights, lol :):lol:

errr, yeah..... a confusing sign by the side of the road and a £35 fine issued at 18:30 on a Sunday :) .... but I was just picking out the highlights, lol :huh::lol:

Jaysus!! :)

£35 is a bit harsh! We noticed that the sign made little or no sense...

The free-for-all parking turns into taxis only or something like that B)

We walked from the hotel down to Pizza Hut on Sunday evening and passed a couple of traffic wardens showing interest in your car :):huh:

M

errr, yeah..... a confusing sign by the side of the road and a £35 fine issued at 18:30 on a Sunday :) .... but I was just picking out the highlights, lol B):lol:

Oops .... you should have stayed on at the campsite on Sunday night and not 'upgraded' to the travelodge. You don't get parking tickets there ... only a telling off from the campsite owner if you make too much noise after curfew time B)

Did you get a pic of the sign Stuey?

I did, yes. I'll upload it some time later today, but I suspect I'd not have any case of appeal as at the top it says no waiting between 6pm and 8am, then another sign underneath says something like "mon-sat 8am to 6pm pay at meter" (not that I could see a meter anyway).

Never mind, Keith and Terry split the fine with me so it wasn't too bad really. Worse things happen.

Oops .... you should have stayed on at the campsite on Sunday night and not 'upgraded' to the travelodge. You don't get parking tickets there ... only a telling off from the campsite owner if you make too much noise after curfew time :lol:

You are so right :) The lift was broken in there too, and we were on the third floor, lol.

What more can we add. An utterely BRILLIANT weekend was had by all.

We recently rescued a dog which we have named Millie and therefore changed plans to camp rather than hotel it. Excellent idea. Over the weekend we found 59 caches, finding a record 19 in one day on Saturday and breaking that with 23 on Sunday.

We also met many new cachers and some of which are now good friends.

Thanks again.

That's all folks!!!

Fantastic weekend, met geocachers from this country and the continent. Good to see our hobby/sport is thriving and increasing in popularity. We picked up quite a few helpful tips, especially as we are planning putting out our own caches later this year.

Many thanks to the organisors and we hope this will be an yearly event, if so count us in.

Maurice & Matt

(Bedford UK)