Converting a GPS file into a JPEG

deej

I tried the search feature but it just hung for 5 minutes, so here I am. :D I was wonder if there is a way, and easy way, to convert my gps file into a format like a JPEG so I can share the map in photobucket for my motorcycle trip reports? Anyone? Thanks in advance. :o

Hopefully I understand it correctly, but yes you can do it with Everytrail: just upload your track to that site and it will be converted to a google map with your track. Than you just have to make a screen shot of your map and use it in photobucket...

I have writen a blog item some time ago related to this: http://geocachingwithweedboer.blogspot.com...abel/everytrail

Regards,

Hans

I had never thought about it, but your question was interesting so i tried doing it using my Delorme mapping software.

Transfer the tracklog from your gpsr into the software (i am using Street Atlas 07), then go to the print tab and align everything up (center, zoom in, out, etc,,,) to fit on the page. Once you have it set the way you like, click on the save button that's over towards the bottom right of the screen and save it as either a bmp or jpg.

Here is another way of doing what you want (that is if I understand your question correctly):

Download the track files from your GPSr to some map software. I used Garmin's MapSource using their Topo 2008 maps. Zoom in/out to get the view you want. Then simply press the "Print Screen" key (upper right). This puts the screen image on the clipboard. Open a graphics program, I use Paint Shop Pro. Then use "paste" to get the image. The map should then display, and you can play around with the image as desired. Of course, it can be saved as JPEG, BMP, or any other format your graphics software supports.

I also tried successfully pasting the image to Microsoft Word.

Here is an example (our hike from Bear Lake to Emerald Lake in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park):

bearlake.jpg