Unpleasant muggling :(

I went to check on my first cache hide today, The Bad Borderlands Cache (GC14DA5), and discovered it had been muggled in a rather horrible way. No contents had been taken, but some human waste of both liquid and solid nature had been left behind, ruining everything inside, before the lid was replaced.

Really gross. I'm a little saddened, but not particularly surprised. It was in an exposed location in a built-up area, and it's led a remarkably charmed life in the year it's been out there - but its luck seems to have run out.

I managed to recover and clean the Geocoin that was in there, but everything else has had to be binned. Thankfully there was nothing valuable in there, but the log book has been ruined and that saddens me, especially because it was signed by the bulk of a local scout troop.

It's no major loss, but it does seem very sad that this is what some people do for kicks. But I guess it's the risk we all take, leaving things unattended for long periods of time. I shan't be replacing this one as it's obviously now a compromised location.

Lee

We had quite a good one up here a while back. Someone had stuck a boiled egg in a cache and it had been sitting in there for a while, then a newbie came along and found the cache.

Here's part of their log,

"To be honest I was very dissapointed about the contents of the cache.Most of it was complete utter rubbish.Especially there was an egg and a 2 week lollipop.

Loved the location though.

Dissapointing cache,yours"

Later I got to know the cacher (lovely family), but you gotta laugh :D

Sorry to hear about that, not the first time its happened, and sadly probably not the last.

I've been extremely lucky...so far.

Don't let it put you off placing more caches, that would be letting the b%^^&&**&s win!

I've been very lucky as well. I'm not going to be put off - as I said, it was a fairly risky location and to be honest I'm lucky something like this hasn't happened before. I've decided to abandon this location, as the culprits are bound to look out for it again, but it won't stop me getting a lot of pleasure out of being a cache owner. I have six other active ones and I'm always on the lookout for new places.

Lee

I managed to recover and clean the Geocoin that was in there, but everything else has had to be binned.

Ewwwwww - can I have the tracking number of the coin so I can put it on my "requires gloves" list...... :D:D

I can assure you that I washed it very thoroughly indeed! In fact, it's now probably the cleanest Geocoin in the world. :o

It was in a plastic wallet and has avoided the brunt of the horror. I nearly got rid of it with the rest of the cache contents but thought that would be unfair to the owner, so I salvaged it.

Lee

I've decided to abandon this location, as the culprits are bound to look out for it again, but it won't stop me getting a lot of pleasure out of being a cache owner.

Ideally, it would be really good if you could hook a new cache up in the same location to main electrics. Then when they relieve themselves.............. :o

Yes, I know it's irresponsible and I'm not intending anyone do it, but just once in a while it would be nice to take revenge! :D

I managed to recover and clean the Geocoin that was in there, but everything else has had to be binned.

Ewwwwww - can I have the tracking number of the coin so I can put it on my "requires gloves" list...... :o:D

I can assure you that I washed it very thoroughly indeed! In fact, it's now probably the cleanest Geocoin in the world. :D

It was in a plastic wallet and has avoided the brunt of the horror. I nearly got rid of it with the rest of the cache contents but thought that would be unfair to the owner, so I salvaged it.

Lee

That was super nice of you. :D

That is terrible someone would do that to your cache. :D

Ideally, it would be really good if you could hook a new cache up in the same location to main electrics. Then when they relieve themselves.............. :D

LOL sadly that doesnt work, unless the electricity is very close to the person peeing I.e. 10cm or less.I havent tried though, I saw it on mythbusters haha.

Ideally, it would be really good if you could hook a new cache up in the same location to main electrics. Then when they relieve themselves.............. :D

LOL sadly that doesnt work, unless the electricity is very close to the person peeing I.e. 10cm or less.I havent tried though, I saw it on mythbusters haha.

You need to watch out for it if you're near 3rd-rail-electrified railway lines...this has killed at least a few people in the past, apparently!

Lee

Sadly this isn't the first cache this has happened to. A similar thing happened to a cache near me last year. It makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with some people. :)

I'm not going to worry too much about it. Sad though it is, and nasty as it was to find, I'm absolutely sure this was not a cacher. The cache itself could easily be found by a muggle, and I think it just fell into the hands of someone very unpleasant.

Thankfully there's not that many people like this around, and I'm not going to let this bug me too much.

Lee

I'm sorry to find that cache go, I thought it was a quite well hidden and a good hide on the albeit very busy A3.

I'm glad I was one of the last finders before it was horribly muggled!

Thanks - I'm glad people appreciated it. I'm thinking of hiding a new cache in a more secure location nearby - probably a smaller container hidden somewhere less likely to be stumbled across by muggles.

Lee

What a shame i really dont like to hear things like this,but these days if the geocaching police caught them nothing would happen as it would be against their human rights i suppose.please dont let it put you off,go out and set a few more new caches then you will feel good.at least you saved the geocoin.patandjeff=bones1.

It's discusting that someone could sink that low, Thankfully yours is the only case like this I've come across.

I have 2 questions.

1. Why would someone do this, Have you made enemies? By this I mean are you possibly 'cross-caching' on someone elses patch. Or inadvertantly stolen someone elses ideas. I sugest you cross referance all your other caches to see if someone is 'bad mouthing' you.

2. How did they know it was there? - Is your cache sitting there exposed for all to see?

Most of my finds have been so discrete that most muggles wouldn't be aware of them.

I think some thinking about the posibility of a geocacher with a grudge against yourself, rather than a muggle. Course it would be difficult to prove without great expense.

Theories of fellow geocachers having a grudge just make me laugh! It will be the smarter anti-social yobs who are doing this. A normal anti-social yob will just pickup the geocache and rip it shreds and ensure that its contents are strewn everywhere.

A clever anti-social yob, one who can read and understand what is being read, will realise that it is a game piece and will realise that future people are going to visit it. So they do that. Bored, irritated, yobs will nearly always be the muggles. Sometimes well intentioned litter pickers or council staff or indeed bomb disposal teams. But most of the time - just kids not having fun, so they have fun by ruining someone elses.

How to stop muggles

Hide the cache well

Place it in area where muggles are unlikely to find it

When hunting for geocaches, and say if you don't need the clue, perhaps check the clue to ensure the cache is re-hidden as the cache hider intended.

It's discusting that someone could sink that low, Thankfully yours is the only case like this I've come across.

I have 2 questions.

1. Why would someone do this, Have you made enemies? By this I mean are you possibly 'cross-caching' on someone elses patch. Or inadvertantly stolen someone elses ideas. I sugest you cross referance all your other caches to see if someone is 'bad mouthing' you.

2. How did they know it was there? - Is your cache sitting there exposed for all to see?

Most of my finds have been so discrete that most muggles wouldn't be aware of them.

I think some thinking about the posibility of a geocacher with a grudge against yourself, rather than a muggle. Course it would be difficult to prove without great expense.

I can tell you for a fact that it's absolutely not another cacher. The cache itself was reasonably popular - but fairly exposed and therefore likely to be noticed by a non-cacher.

The issue is closed, as far as I'm concerned. It was a good site that became a bad one, due to some anti-social non-caching knob-end. End of story.

Lee

Theories of fellow geocachers having a grudge just make me laugh! It will be the smarter anti-social yobs who are doing this. A normal anti-social yob will just pickup the geocache and rip it shreds and ensure that its contents are strewn everywhere.

A clever anti-social yob, one who can read and understand what is being read, will realise that it is a game piece and will realise that future people are going to visit it. So they do that. Bored, irritated, yobs will nearly always be the muggles. Sometimes well intentioned litter pickers or council staff or indeed bomb disposal teams. But most of the time - just kids not having fun, so they have fun by ruining someone elses.

Fully agreed. They clearly looked at the contents and saw what it was for, and ruined it in the hope that someone would come along and find a ruined cache. Absolutely not a cacher, just an antisocial ****-head.

Lee

I recently had to disable one of my caches due to it having been replaced and covered "inappropriately" by the last finder, the result being the lid cracked and let water in. :) He also left some stuff which I deemed not a fit swap and not suitable for a cache aimed at children. I had a pretty snotty email from him when I logged the owner maintenance note. Since I removed the cache the hide site seems to be used as a human toilet. :) Needless to say its not going to be replaced!! I am still trying to find a decent site for the new cache as it was part of a popular series.

I recently had to disable one of my caches due to it having been replaced and covered "inappropriately" by the last finder, the result being the lid cracked and let water in. :) He also left some stuff which I deemed not a fit swap and not suitable for a cache aimed at children. I had a pretty snotty email from him when I logged the owner maintenance note. Since I removed the cache the hide site seems to be used as a human toilet. :) Needless to say its not going to be replaced!! I am still trying to find a decent site for the new cache as it was part of a popular series.

As I made my point earlier with the originator of this thread, It's not always muggles to blame here. There are a few unscruperlous cachers out there who would think nothing of ruining it for all.

There should be a way of shaming such cachers so they think twice about doing it.

No contents had been taken, but some human waste of solid nature had been left behind,

The same thing happened right next to our one of our caches recently.......another cacher let us know and we went and cleaned it up.

At first I admit that I did blame muggle campers......but now I'm hoping that it wasn't another cacher leaving us a "crappy cache award" LOL.......never thought of that until this morning!!

Ali :)