Would you travel to Canada for a Mega event?

Lemon Fresh Dog

Hello all,

I am in the very preliminary stages of considering the submission of a bid for Calgary to host the next geocoinfest event.

My biggest concern is around attendance. So my question is simple:

Would you travel to Canada (Calgary, Alberta near the Rocky Mountains) for a geocoin event? I'm particularly interested in knowing whether US cachers would attend as they comprise the bulk of the "audience" for such an event.

Thanks. Depending on the response here and locally I will decide whether to put the work into a bid or not.

I think one thing that people would need to consider is that if US citizens are flying into Canada, you'll need your passport. Since it takes up to 8 weeks to get it after you apply, people would need to plan ahead :D I think maybe by the time this happens next year, you may need it to drive there too.

I think maybe by the time this happens next year, you may need it to drive there too.

I thought you already did. Since I don't have a current passport (and the fact that I won't be going across the rockies to this year's geocoinfest), I would say no, I probably wouldn't attend.

--Marky

I would consider it. Its not really much different to for me to fly to Canada than me flying to California for this years geowoodstock :D

The biggest difference would be the added cost of passports. For a family like mine, I am looking at an additional $400. This makes a huge difference for us.

Another family and ourselves were just talking about how cool it would be to go to Toronto for an event since we love the city and all. With the added costs of passports for a one time trip, it just makes you reconsider and find a new place to visit.

No passport (yet). I didn't think one needed one if one drove across the border, tho.

It would totally depend upon if I could afford it or not. Unfortunately probably not. Didn't go to GW6 and probably - most likely - won't be going to this years in PA. Too expensive for my budget to fly, hotel & rent car (not to mention gas...) Also we have a dog and no dogsitter any more. She has to go with us when we travel (she is coming with us to MWGB and will be with us at GW7 next year) so we drive. We could kennel her I suppose but again - $$$. And she would hate it.

I have not made it to a Coinfest yet. :o I hope to some day. :D

CF30

I would consider it. Its not really much different to for me to fly to Canada than me flying to California for this years geowoodstock :D

The biggest difference would be the added cost of passports. For a family like mine, I am looking at an additional $400. This makes a huge difference for us.

Another family and ourselves were just talking about how cool it would be to go to Toronto for an event since we love the city and all. With the added costs of passports for a one time trip, it just makes you reconsider and find a new place to visit.

If your not flying, but driving, you could look into a passport card

If your not flying, but driving, you could look into a passport card

That is cool. Thanks for the link.

Our family is preparing to order Passport Cards, so yeah we would come. The cards are half the cost of Passport Books, only $45 for adults and $35 for children. Books would have cost us $455! The cards were only $195. The processing time is 4 weeks from application to delivery.

Of course we would have to drive to use the cards, but that is probably the more cost efficient way to all of there anyways. :)

So yes, I would travel to Canada for a Geocoin Fest. :)

We have our passports, so we'd have no problem attending a mega event in Canada. The thing that would prevent us from making it would be the distance (airfare for a family of 4 can be pricey, and driving means using more vacation time than we might have available). But...that could be our issue for us whether travelling to Canada or the US. In regards to the bid, I say...go for it.

The drive up through Montana is beyond beautiful.

You come through Glacier National Park on the US side and into Waterton National Park on the Canadian side. It's very, very pretty.

At this point, I need to figure out if I can get local assistance, and if it makes sense during the time-frame. We certainly have the facilities, the accommodation, the attractions (natural and man-made), infrastructure, and pretty friendly people.

At this point, my stumbling block may be getting enough local assistance if the event comes to pass. Stay tuned.

Had I the money to fly the four of us there my answer would be simple....

IN A HEARTBEAT!!

I'd love to go back to Calgary, last time I was there I was 18 and it was forever ago, but I loved Canada!

Unfortunately, our finances wouldn't allow this type of trip, but we would love to if we could!

Naomi :mad:

I think one thing that people would need to consider is that if US citizens are flying into Canada, you'll need your passport. Since it takes up to 8 weeks to get it after you apply, people would need to plan ahead ;) I think maybe by the time this happens next year, you may need it to drive there too.

I'm pretty sure you've needed a passport since '01 to cross the border. I know for certain I've been asked for my passport everytime I've crossed in the last 10 years going into Ontario.

I'd definitely attend in Canada, but don't know if I could swing Alberta with the rising airfare. Hopefully that will come back out of the stratosphere after this fall. :anitongue:

I think one thing that people would need to consider is that if US citizens are flying into Canada, you'll need your passport. Since it takes up to 8 weeks to get it after you apply, people would need to plan ahead ;) I think maybe by the time this happens next year, you may need it to drive there too.

I'm pretty sure you've needed a passport since '01 to cross the border. I know for certain I've been asked for my passport everytime I've crossed in the last 10 years going into Ontario.

I'd definitely attend in Canada, but don't know if I could swing Alberta with the rising airfare. Hopefully that will come back out of the stratosphere after this fall. :anitongue:

Actually you don't need a passport to got to Canada currently, by land and water. The new rules for that take effect in June 2009.

You have needed a full passport book to fly by air and have needed one only since January 2008 (I think).

We are getting Passport Cards for a cruise, so we will be set to go to Canada by car for a road trip, but it is a loooong road trip from Georgia to Calgary!

I think one thing that people would need to consider is that if US citizens are flying into Canada, you'll need your passport. Since it takes up to 8 weeks to get it after you apply, people would need to plan ahead :anitongue: I think maybe by the time this happens next year, you may need it to drive there too.

I'd definitely attend in Canada, but don't know if I could swing Alberta with the rising airfare. Hopefully that will come back out of the stratosphere after this fall. ;)

Actually you don't need a passport to got to Canada currently, by land and water. The new rules for that take effect in June 2009.

You have needed a full passport book to fly by air and have needed one only since January 2008 (I think).

We are getting Passport Cards for a cruise, so we will be set to go to Canada by car for a road trip, but it is a loooong road trip from Georgia to Calgary!

Hey, you're right ;) I didn't realize you can get through with a photo id and your birth certificate. I used to live right near the border and constantly went back and forth without any id at all, but here are the current regs...

"LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

CURRENTLY:

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (:D a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document." - U.S. Dept. of State

That is a long way off and we are having trouble figuring what to do to get to PA this year. But hoping things will be easier by that time. We would love to go for an event like that. We had planned on doing a few weeks "up there" this summer, but plans changed.

Would have to wonder what the customs issues for us vendors would be to make final judgement.

Hope you can get the help togethter.