Need Quick-Dry Adhesive suggestions

I've had a remote small cache go missing several times. I've tried different containers and I'm not sure, but I think they are falling to the ground and being discarded by maintenance people because my adhesive methods are not good.

Picture a large concrete diamond shaped planter - approximately 12 feet on all sides. It sits about 4 feet off the ground and has about a 18" concrete ledge in which people can sit. On the underside of the ledge is a small space of about 3-4" where one can cram a small container in. The whole planter is on top of a concrete base. I've tried using industrial velcro and two-part epoxy glue to attach the velcro to the concrete under-ledge. Didn't stay.

I think what I would like to do is permanently glue the container upside down (say, for instance, a waterproof match container or bison) so that the bottom of the container is glued to the concrete and the finder can just screw off the top to retrieve the log.

Are there any adhesives out there - (and please don't say Gorilla Glue - it just doesn't work for this application) that I can apply the cache to it's hiding location and not have to hold it there for 30 minutes? It's a remote area, but still a public place. It needs to be very strong to take the abuse of pulling which will naturally happen when the finder removes the top.

If you have any ideas other than the above for attaching the cache, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

I've had a remote small cache go missing several times. I've tried different containers and I'm not sure, but I think they are falling to the ground and being discarded by maintenance people because my adhesive methods are not good.

Picture a large concrete diamond shaped planter - approximately 12 feet on all sides. It sits about 4 feet off the ground and has about a 18" concrete ledge in which people can sit. On the underside of the ledge is a small space of about 3-4" where one can cram a small container in. The whole planter is on top of a concrete base. I've tried using industrial velcro and two-part epoxy glue to attach the velcro to the concrete under-ledge. Didn't stay.

I think what I would like to do is permanently glue the container upside down (say, for instance, a waterproof match container or bison) so that the bottom of the container is glued to the concrete and the finder can just screw off the top to retrieve the log.

Are there any adhesives out there - (and please don't say Gorilla Glue - it just doesn't work for this application) that I can apply the cache to it's hiding location and not have to hold it there for 30 minutes? It's a remote area, but still a public place. It needs to be very strong to take the abuse of pulling which will naturally happen when the finder removes the top.

If you have any ideas other than the above for attaching the cache, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Before you do this you need to get permission from the owners of the land. Gluing a container without permission is considered vandalism and would result in an archived cache.

Not sure it'd be strong enough, but maybe a big spring with a bison tube hanging? A finder would squeeze the spring to remove the cache, then replace it and let it expand back into the space to hold the cache....think a toilet paper holder type set up...but stronger spring.

Just a thought of something that wouldn't leave a permanent reminder.

Not sure it'd be strong enough, but maybe a big spring with a bison tube hanging? A finder would squeeze the spring to remove the cache, then replace it and let it expand back into the space to hold the cache....think a toilet paper holder type set up...but stronger spring.

Just a thought of something that wouldn't leave a permanent reminder.

GREAT idea! My "wheels" are turning now. Thanks!

There are 5 minute epoxies out there, but you would need to mix it on-site in a screw bottle cap or something. You can epoxy the metal strip there and use a magnet to attach your container to the metal strip. I use popsicle/craft sticks to apply the epoxy.

Epoxies are water-proof, weather-proof, freeze-proof, and simply will not come off when cured properly. They need about 8 hours of dry weather to cure. And I know of no solvent that will remove them once cured.

I just glued the leather upper of my hiking boots back to the boot; the stitching had failed. I used Amazing Goop, it's great stuff! I expected it to fail because of constant movement of my feet and shoes but it is still there after 2 weeks. It is a one part glue, no mixing required.

Edited by chuckr30

Sometimes it can take several years for concrete to finish curing, depending on the mixture and thickness of the pour.

Let me add, it can take YEARS on a solid pour, and I mean YEARS.

Try this, its called LocTite Powergrab. It bonds to almost anything and I used it over epoxy due to its ability to lock into materials with pours in it (like concrete). It will grab within seconds and holds good.

You might want to make sure the maintenance guys don't know the cache is there. I have a friend that is on the maintenance staff of a local university and they have been told when they find a geocache, just to throw it away! I would make sure they don't know it exists, because they may know it and keep looking and just trashing it when they find it.!

As already stated, this is considered vandalism unless you get owner permission.

Assuming you have that:

Go to your local hardware store (mom-n-pop preferred, but ACE or big box will also work) and buy some waterproof exterior-grade Liquid Nail. You can even get a formula specifically designed to adhere to concrete and stone (landscaping adhesive).

It's sold in "caulk" tubes that you need a caulk-gun to use, or you can sometimes find them in smaller tubes.

If you can't find a smaller tube, buy a 3" screw at the same time you buy the adhesive. Use the screw to puncture the foil seal on the tube. After attaching the container to the concrete, put some soap or light oil on the screw and insert into the tip of the tube. The glue in the tip will eventually harden but you can simply unscrew the screw when you need more adhesive.

You might want to make sure the maintenance guys don't know the cache is there. I have a friend that is on the maintenance staff of a local university and they have been told when they find a geocache, just to throw it away! I would make sure they don't know it exists, because they may know it and keep looking and just trashing it when they find it.!

Hmmm... I have observed that they have several different maintenance companies working there, but it is interesting to note that even though it says "Do Not Remove" on the cache and on the log clearly states the name of the person who gave me permission to hide it, it still disappears. The predominance of maintenance companies in my region employ persons who speak little to no English and they may not be able to read English as well. I might have to make a dual language sticker. LOL! :)

Hmmm... I have observed that they have several different maintenance companies working there, but it is interesting to note that even though it says "Do Not Remove" on the cache and on the log clearly states the name of the person who gave me permission to hide it, it still disappears. The predominance of maintenance companies in my region employ persons who speak little to no English and they may not be able to read English as well. I might have to make a dual language sticker. LOL! :)

Try printing "No Basura" on the container as large as you can. Maybe that'll help.

There are 5 minute epoxies out there, but you would need to mix it on-site in a screw bottle cap or something. You can epoxy the metal strip there and use a magnet to attach your container to the metal strip. I use popsicle/craft sticks to apply the epoxy.

Epoxies are water-proof, weather-proof, freeze-proof, and simply will not come off when cured properly. They need about 8 hours of dry weather to cure. And I know of no solvent that will remove them once cured.

I just glued the leather upper of my hiking boots back to the boot; the stitching had failed. I used Amazing Goop, it's great stuff! I expected it to fail because of constant movement of my feet and shoes but it is still there after 2 weeks. It is a one part glue, no mixing required.

Physically, any glue that cures into a solid, as in epoxies, will fail due to movement between the 2 things that are meant to be bonded. This is usually caused by expansion/contraction as a result of them being dissimilar objects.

Your Goop, on the other hand remains flexible for almost forever. That is it's redeeming feature. It has the ability to bond just about anything to anything and hold very well.

Not that I am advocating gluing something to a monument, or anything like that. :):)

Hmmmm.... If we're following our own rules...

If permission has been granted by the University, then there's no need for deception.

If there's no permission granted, then they should toss that litter.

DCC

Sometimes it can take several years for concrete to finish curing, depending on the mixture and thickness of the pour.

Let me add, it can take YEARS on a solid pour, and I mean YEARS.

<snip>

So true. Grand Coulee Dam (world's largest concrete structure) is over 50 years old and is just now finishing curing.

I might have to make a dual language sticker.

Do not assume that maintenance personnel will read, even in their native language. Whether they can read is not relevant, only whether they will. Those of us who do so much reading that we cannot avoid reading words in front of our eyes, tend to forget that many others, even in our own society, only read by special effort. They have to explicitly turn on what we are unable to turn off.

Edward