G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. Bids

avroair

The two finalists are:

Denver and Salt Lake City

Winner will be announced this year at GCF. :D

I'd like to congratulate both the Salt Lake City and Denver teams on being finalists and ensuring the Rocky Mountains will host a mega event! Regardless of which side of the continental divide it's on, it is going to be one heck of an event.

Team GPSaxophone

President, Geocaching Colorado

ok, for those of us that didn't make it to Geocoinfest, we are dying to know the outcome and where next years event is going to be hosted. So it's time for someone that knows to spill the beans....

I read a log from this years event that mentioned Miami,Ohio, but I don't think they were finalists... rumor control please! :blink:

Yes, the votes came in and I tabulated them this morning and Salt Lake City eeked by Denver, both had fantastic bids and I urged Denver to run some sort of event anyway! :lol:

The final voting was based on a 10 question list with each committee member voting their preference on each question. :(

GCF this year had over 600 people, from over 33 states, and well over a cool $1 million dollars worth of geocoins in the room! :)

Special thanks to Dressel Dragons and TMOCM and PGH for putting on a show! And thanks to all the venders who came out for the event. It was an outstanding success...

Do we have a date? Aug/Sept would be quite a bit warmer. Plus Oct is rifle hunting season for elk/deer for those wanting to wander about the mountains.

It will be Columbus Day weekend (Columbus Day falls on the second Monday of October).

I just suggest that everybody bring a winter coat. On Columbus Day weekend this year, SLC had snow. Only for 2 hours, and then it melted, but we did have snow (and usually do.)

Do we have a date? Aug/Sept would be quite a bit warmer. Plus Oct is rifle hunting season for elk/deer for those wanting to wander about the mountains.

It will be Columbus Day weekend (Columbus Day falls on the second Monday of October).

I will keep people updated asap. The 5 inches of snow in both Denver and SLC gives one a moment of pause, wouldn't want to be snowed out again!

I will keep people updated asap. The 5 inches of snow in both Denver and SLC gives one a moment of pause, wouldn't want to be snowed out again!

SNOW?? .... Orlando Florida looks like a great place for a winter event! I'm not one for 'caching in the snow'! ugh :D Maybe global warming will hit SLC by this time next year! :)

Congratulations, Salt Lake City! :) We're looking forward to Geocoinfest 09. We were at an event in Ogden in September, and the weather was beautiful! Can a change of date be considered, Avorair? :)

Yes, we are discussing dates, Labor Day looks like a good bet since it's a three day weekend and Columbus weekend looks to be dicey weather. Will let folks know asap.

I thought this was a Columbus day weekend thing? Summers seems to full. Worse case a little dry snow caching never hurt anyone!

In fact many of us never left the hotel in Pa, once we got there.

Just some food for thought.

Labor Day is summer? :rolleyes:

Technically, it IS summer until Sept 21st. Labor day weekend Would be great for the folks who works when school is in ;) . Also, it really isn't fun having to worry about snow on the interstate.

I thought this was a Columbus day weekend thing? Summers seems to full. Worse case a little dry snow caching never hurt anyone!

In fact many of us never left the hotel in Pa, once we got there.

Just some food for thought.

Labor Day is summer? :rolleyes:

Technically, it IS summer until Sept 21st. Labor day weekend Would be great for the folks who works when school is in ;) . Also, it really isn't fun having to worry about snow on the interstate.

Snow really isn't a *huge* concern in October, this year we had some flurries in the middle of the month but they melted off in hours in most places and within a day or so everywhere else. Two days later it was back up in the mid 60's. It is definately possible, but it's not like its a given!

As a generality fall in Utah is beautiful. Warm days, cool nights and lots of sunshine- perfect caching weather!

Snow really isn't a *huge* concern in October, this year we had some flurries in the middle of the month but they melted off in hours in most places and within a day or so everywhere else. Two days later it was back up in the mid 60's. It is definately possible, but it's not like its a given!

As a generality fall in Utah is beautiful. Warm days, cool nights and lots of sunshine- perfect caching weather!

I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it because my caching buddy is a teacher :) and over here, our school starts AFTER Labor Day :rolleyes:

Hmm. Gonna have to get passports for the younger ones, and save my pennies for gas money. But a cross-Canada trip with a stop down south on the way back sounds like a fine Fall vacation next year! Got some relatives in Victoria I haven't seen in a couple of years, and I've never been west of Syracuse in the USA.

Hmm.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it because my caching buddy is a teacher ;) and over here, our school starts AFTER Labor Day :rolleyes:

Typically, Brenda and Heather head back to school before Labor Day. My students start back after, but I go back to work before Labor Day (to get stuff ready). There is a lot of variations about when kids go back to school around here. Columbus Day weekend was chosen last year because some folks have Columbus Day off (I am not one of them, and neither are my kids). Either way, I am sure it will work out.