G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. Bids

avroair

Denver/Metro Area, Colorado would be the best choice We see at this point. We have spoken with the Ivy Dog Parents and Joe Friday and we will support and help this event in any way possible, to ensure that Colorado hosts the best GeocoinFest of all time. :ph34r:

Starnsun

A Proud Member of Geocaching Colorado

The MILE HIGH CITY (That is Denver, CO-USA) is rockymtn8iv's city of choice. :ph34r: Not only would we LOVE to see it here, we are willin' to pitch in and do whatever it takes to make it an event to remember.

Let's see, we have caches, the Pepsi Center (Where this years Demoncratic convention was held), caches, DIA (Denver International Airport, not Denver's Imaginary Airport), caches, a gr8 public transit complete with light rail, caches, hotels, caches, dining, caches, and the Gr8 Rocky Mountains (the leaves turning colors for the season should be fantastic!), caches, and some of the gr8est cachers in the world.

Did I mention caches.

Come play in our back yard!!!!

Edited by rockymtn8iv

I vote for both Calgary and Denver.

Calgary because I'm from Alberta and would love to see the additional development of the geocaching scene in the area.

Denver because almost every single [cheapest] flight I've taken out of Alberta or BC to cities in USA seems to transit at Denver, making it the most accessible city in USA to me.

I vote for both Calgary and Denver.

Calgary because I'm from Alberta and would love to see the additional development of the geocaching scene in the area.

Denver because almost every single [cheapest] flight I've taken out of Alberta or BC to cities in USA seems to transit at Denver, making it the most accessible city in USA to me.

Okay, SLC's bid is done. Archive.org is just being weird and uploading an old version of the file. (One of them that I deleted...) I'm trying again, and will post the link here and e-mail it to you, avroair. <_< It turned out a LOT better than I was expecting.

EDIT: Okay archive.org is messing up the video still. I've uploaded it to vimeo, and I'm just waiting for them to convert it. It should be about 85 minutes. x_x

Edited by imfrog2002

Ohhhhh a choice between the Texas cowboys or the Colorado cowboys. May I see pictures please? While I'm not on the GCF committee, I do believe my attendance will be based on pictures provided. I know I went OT, sorry couldn't help myself <_<

Edited by tsunrisebey

Denver, Colorado

Dallas, Texas

Huntsville, Alabama

Salt Lake City, Utah

What's the weather like in each of these areas in October? :D

There were 7 other cities who decided to wait until next year.

Are you considering other mega events that have been or will be in some of these areas? I mean, Huntsville is only a couple of hours from next year's GeoWoodstock. Should that area "get" two mega events in the same year? Also, GeoWoodstock was in Texas last year, so you have a similar issue with the Dallas bid. Why not "share the wealth" and put this mega event somewhere else to give more people the chance to attend one?

I did like the video approach to Salt Lake's bid, but of course I have to be partial to Denver's overall bid - there is a lot to do here! <_<

Denver, Colorado

Dallas, Texas

Huntsville, Alabama

Salt Lake City, Utah

Are you considering other mega events that have been or will be in some of these areas? I mean, Huntsville is only a couple of hours from next year's GeoWoodstock. Should that area "get" two mega events in the same year? Also, GeoWoodstock was in Texas last year, so you have a similar issue with the Dallas bid. Why not "share the wealth" and put this mega event somewhere else to give more people the chance to attend one?

I did like the video approach to Salt Lake's bid, but of course I have to be partial to Denver's overall bid - there is a lot to do here! <_<

This is a great point.

I would love to see the larger events spread around more.

Denver, Colorado

Dallas, Texas

Huntsville, Alabama

Salt Lake City, Utah

This is a great point.

I would love to see the larger events spread around more.

Geowoodstock hasn't been in Texas since GW4. This year is was in California and last year it was in North Carolina and next year it will be in Tennessee.

I hope we are not shut out because of an event 3 years previous.

Any chance to see the bids from Huntsville and Dallas?

I am afraid not, I should have stated that they are supposed to be private. The bids will be sent out this weekend to the committee members who will then vote.

Just for people who are not familiar with the process:

There are 7 commitee members, each from different parts of the country, they were all involved with Geocoinfest in some shape or form, either in Temecula or Pittsburgh. They vote on the bids for a variety of reasons things such as: leadership teams, proximity to other current mega events, proximity to previous geocoinfests and such are all taken into consideration. :P

Last years vote was so varied.

Edited by avroair

The bids will be sent out this weekend to the committee members who will then vote.

Just for people who are not familiar with the process:

There are 7 commitee members, each from different parts of the country, they were all involved with Geocoinfest in some shape or form, either in Temecula or Pittsburgh. They vote on the bids for a variety of reasons things such as: leadership teams, proximity to other current mega events, proximity to previous geocoinfests and such are all taken into consideration. :P

Last years vote was so varied.

I'm looking forward to seeing the bids! :D

I have a question,

WHY aren't there any MEGA events during the summer months when More people maybe could attend?

There were at least two that were in the summer this year. Midwest Geobash and Rendezvous Quebec. Both in August. And Memorial day weekend every year is Geowoodstock, which is when you could make a case summer starts. How many more do we need in the summer?

Oh, and I can assure you MWGB 09 will be in the summer :)

TMA

I have a question,

WHY aren't there any MEGA events during the summer months when More people maybe could attend?

There were at least two that were in the summer this year. Midwest Geobash and Rendezvous Quebec. Both in August. And Memorial day weekend every year is Geowoodstock, which is when you could make a case summer starts. How many more do we need in the summer?

Oh, and I can assure you MWGB 09 will be in the summer :)

TMA

Thank you for the info :huh:

I would be open to moving to another weekend rather than October, it was originally conceived in last August so October was the earliest it could ride.

With the English mega, Quebec mega, Midwest Geobash and Geowoodstock all being during the summer then it made sense to move it to another time of year. Would attendance be any higher in the summer? Probably not. It would have to be in July (when it's sweltering most parts of the country) and it is currently on a three day weekend so people can drive or fly-in on Saturday and leave Monday... some people (such as myself) take off the couple of days leading to the event too.

This year I hope to attend. :)

I was thinking of my caching partner, my son, whom is a teacher. We were just plain lucky to have been able to go to Geowoodstock VI :huh: I just never realized that there were So many. I obviously would only be able to attend ones in the USA. - Sorry but those are the facts :) .

Edited by fairyhoney

I love having one NOT in the Summer personally. There is really only one other fallish weekend, Labor Day. Most people have family plans for that holiday. Columbus Day weekend made perfect sense whe you factor in all the other MEGA events. I don't think attendance would be any different based on time of year. Location is the factor that effects attendance the greatest.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I would be open to moving to another weekend rather than October, it was originally conceived in last August so October was the earliest it could ride.

With the English mega, Quebec mega, Midwest Geobash and Geowoodstock all being during the summer then it made sense to move it to another time of year. Would attendance be any higher in the summer? Probably not. It would have to be in July (when it's sweltering most parts of the country) and it is currently on a three day weekend so people can drive or fly-in on Saturday and leave Monday... some people (such as myself) take off the couple of days leading to the event too.

This year I hope to attend. :)

Spring would be a perfect time of year!

I feel having it in the Fall is a huge inconvienence. I have football games to attend and geocoins are not a priority during football season. Spring doesn't work for me either cause it's still flippin' cold here and I need to be around to make sure my pipes don't freeze (even heat wrapped). Summer is too hot everywhere but maybe Alaska. Oh wait, GCF doesn't center around me :) hahahaha.

Weather update for Pittsburgh:

Friday Partly Cloudy 69/49

Saturday Mostly Sunny 72/50

Sunday Mostly Sunny 70/51

While getting ready for work, and the news as background noise, something caught my ear. They said Denver was expecting snow, so I had to look online for their weather report since I know they put a bid in for next year.

Denver forecast:

Saturday Rain/Snow Showers 46/34

Sunday Rain/Snow Showers 45/32

Dallas forecast:

Scattered Thunderstorms 82/61

Scattered Thunderstorms 78/53

Salt Lake City forecast:

Rain/Snow Showers 47/30

Rain/Snow Showers 46/34

Weather update for Pittsburgh:

Friday Partly Cloudy 69/49

Saturday Mostly Sunny 72/50

Sunday Mostly Sunny 70/51

While getting ready for work, and the news as background noise, something caught my ear. They said Denver was expecting snow, so I had to look online for their weather report since I know they put a bid in for next year.

Denver forecast:

Saturday Rain/Snow Showers 46/34

Sunday Rain/Snow Showers 45/32

Dallas forecast:

Scattered Thunderstorms 82/61

Scattered Thunderstorms 78/53

Salt Lake City forecast:

Rain/Snow Showers 47/30

Rain/Snow Showers 46/34

And this week the weather in Denver is

Tuesday Sunny 70/45

Wednesday Sunny 76/44

Thursday Mostly Sunny 73/41

Friday Few Showers 68/35

This is what it is like here. Very nice most days and a few days of clouds. 300+ days of sun each year. I don't think you should eliminate a city just based on temp. Of course I live in Denver.

Edited by Atwell Family

This is what it is like here. Very nice most days and a few days of clouds. 300+ days of sun each year. I don't think you should eliminate a city just based on temp. Of course I live in Denver.

Relax Mike. It was an observation. Don't read too much into it.

It sparked my interest when a weather reporter was talking and said something about using the "S" word. Then he said Denver was going to experience it. Had it been one of the other cities, I would have posted the same, excet with that city.

I don't recall saying anything about eliminating anyone because of anything. I posted all the cities just as an observation. Nothing more, nothing less.