Any body up for a last minute hike tommorrow? 8/3

MarcusArelius

I'm thinking of a loop starting at the Talapus trail head perhaps around 8AM then hititng Talapus, Ollalie, Pratt, Lower Tuscohatchie, and Melakwa then out Denny creek. I need someone with a trail pass to park at the other end.

Shoot me an e-mail or call 425-213-4883.

If tommorrow doesn't pan out maybe I'll try next weekend

Edited by MarcusArelius

Well it almost came off for tomorrow but not quite. It seems a lot of folks are at the campout or heading to SeaFair.

So here's your chance to do Mark's guided Alpine lake tour next weekend instead.

I will throw this out for a straw horse but the day and time are flexible.

Let's meet at Saturday 8/9? 8:00AM at a cache near the Denny Creek trail head - GCVYZK N47 24.703 W121 26.366. Then we can park one or two vehicles at the Denny trailhead and head back to the Talapus trailhead at N47 24.078 W121 31.084.

Late comers could meet us there.

It's a pretty long hike and should take all day. I've done the trails from both ends before but not the through hike.

I've started a list I'm not really sure of the route. I'm thinking we'll start at trail 1036 then pick up 1014. Hopefully we can get to Melakwa Heaven? Then out on trail 1011 and 1007. I don't have all the caches on my list yet. I'll probably just put all the caches in the area in my gps, but it would be nice to know exactly what route we'd be taking.

Does the rouute sound right, MA?

If you're going to do that and take a dog, make sure to give it plenty of rest at the upper lake before continuing up.

I see that previous cachers at Melakwa's Heaven recommend against taking a dog to this cache because of the really rough boulder field. :lol: We always take our dogs with us hiking. We'll probably pass on this one.

Edited by GrnXnham

If you're going to do that and take a dog, make sure to give it plenty of rest at the upper lake before continuing up.

I see that previous cachers at Melakwa's Heaven recommend against taking a dog to this cache because of the really rough boulder field. :mad: We always take our dogs with us hiking. We'll probably pass on this one.

:yikes: I didn't see that in the logs or here. My recommendation was merely to let them rest. I didn't take my dog up because we ended up being the last in the group to arrive to Melakwa Lake and my dog was not rested enough to make the additional hike up when the group struck out to Melakwa's Heaven. I chose to stay at the lake with Snickers and Criminal's Patch and allow them to rest for the hike down.

My post was by no means a recommendation against taking your hiking buddies.

I see that previous cachers at Melakwa's Heaven recommend against taking a dog to this cache because of the really rough boulder field. :yikes: We always take our dogs with us hiking. We'll probably pass on this one.

:mad: I didn't see that in the logs or here. My recommendation was merely to let them rest. I didn't take my dog up because we ended up being the last in the group to arrive to Melakwa Lake and my dog was not rested enough to make the additional hike up when the group struck out to Melakwa's Heaven. I chose to stay at the lake with Snickers and Criminal's Patch and allow them to rest for the hike down.

My post was by no means a recommendation against taking your hiking buddies.

I read all the logs for Melakwa's Heaven. Criminal recommended against bringing dogs to that cache and he is probably right. Boulder fields are tough on dogs and one of our dogs has enough joint problems. The weather for Saturday isn't looking too good right now either. It looks like the view from the top might be nothing but clouds and drizzle but of course that might change by Saturday.

Do you know the approximate distance and elevation change for this hike?

Thanks

Appoximately 12 miles and 3000 feet.

I was tracing the NW Trails route with the distance tool in Mapsource and came up with quite a bit higher than 12 miles... I'm looking to rack up some miles for the WTA Hike-a-thon so more is good, but was wondering if it really is just around 12?

I was tracing the NW Trails route with the distance tool in Mapsource and came up with quite a bit higher than 12 miles... I'm looking to rack up some miles for the WTA Hike-a-thon so more is good, but was wondering if it really is just around 12?

I combined the tracks for this route in Northwest Trails and came up with 12.1 miles (and a total of 2836 feet of elevation gain).

Here's an elevation profile:

hikejg0.th.jpg

I combined the tracks for this route in Northwest Trails and came up with 12.1 miles (and a total of 2836 feet of elevation gain).

Here's an elevation profile:

hikejg0.th.jpg

Excellent, thanks much for that!

I did this hike today as other hiking plans fell through and was busy tomorrow. I started at Denny Creek as I wanted to make sure I got Melakwa's Heaven in and also had hoped to summit Kaleetan and decided I'd rather skip a cache at the end rather than that.

A great hike. Trail is a little overgrown in places, especially beyond Pratt Lake, which made for a wet walk through that part and a bit tricky with hidden slippery rocks. Otherwise can't really think of anything that wasn't right on... maybe could have done without all that rain :rolleyes:

Appreciate the route! Thanks!

Thanks for the report! Sorry to miss you.

I was at the ranger station at the pass yesterday and was getting really worried as I read the trail reports of snow and ice. Then I went inside to ask the ranger and she said "Oh those reports posted outside? They're 3 weeks old" Whew!

I also went by the Denny trailhead and it was packed in the afternoon with cars parked up and down the road. I don't think we'll have any problem at 8AM though.

We were eating dinner when the gully washer blew through. It made me glad I had switched the hike to today. Those bushes are going to be wet though.

Looks like we will possibly have 6-7 folks.