Downloaded GC's Show Up as Waypoints

GigiKay

Hi!

We went out yesterday for our first day of geocaching and had a marvelous time! Going again tomorrow to move a TB we found. Yay! On our first day we found a cute bug to move. We logged everything on my husband's account.

We have a Garmin 60csx. Downloaded some GC's in our area in the GPX format using EasyGPS and loaded them onto the GPS. They loaded fine, but they showed up as Waypoints instead of Geocaches and in the Found Geocaches even though we didn't mark them found.

I don't know if that's just how downloaded GC's will show up. When putting in Geocaches by hand, they had to be moved to Waypoints. Any advice about what you think I might have done wrong would be welcome.

Thanks!

Gigi

I can't say anything about easy gps, but Im sure there is a thing on the tool bar, that sais SET UP GPS. Under that, just lie and tell the program that all you have is ONE icon on your gps. and that will be the geocaching icon. You can put a few other icons on it too, like a skull and crossboness for a multi or whatever. But I just log them all as geocaches.

I have yet to use the geocache treasure boxes on my gpsr. For one thing, i had noticed that they show up so big on my friend's 60csx screen that they get in the way of other things. Although i can see that it could be adventagious for some, i really don't care about being able to close the lid on the icon after i find a cache.

What does work well for me is to have different icons for different types of caches. For instance, a blue flag is what shows for traditionals, bowling ball and pin for puzzles, and a circle with an x inside for multis. It's nice to just be able to glance and see what type of cache it is when i'm on map screen or the waypoint list screen.

Go to EasyGPS and open the cache file.

Select Edit, then Select All

Put the mouse pointer in the box with the caches, then right click

A pop up box appears, select Edit Waypoints

A Bulk Waypoint Editor box shows up. Select the symbol drop down box.

Select the cache icon, hit OK and save the file.

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

I'll give the answers a try.

I really like the idea of putting in different icons for different types of caches. So far we've only put in 5 one day and 3 another so it wasn't an issue, but it would be a great help if we decided to import a lot.

Thanks again!

Gigi

I am not sure how easy GPS works I utilize GSAK but I do have a 60csx. The basic screen pictures for a geocache are a closed treasure box=not found and an open treasure box=found. If you open the waypoints feature it will show all of your "waypoints" ie, found and unfound geocaches, any point of interest you have made like your home, kids school, local market etc. It lists everything.

If you open the "Geocache" feature, it's default setting is to show you unfound geocaches. Because your software is importing them as "found" you must press the menu button and select "show found" geocaches. Once you have done this it will show all of your found geocaches. Select the menu button again and select "Change to not found" or something like that (I am at work at the firehouse and do not have my GPSr with me). This will change them to the closed treasure box. Now select the menu button again and choose show not found geocaches and you will have the normal view again.

Knowing how to do this is a good feature because you will, as I have, accidentally hit your found button when you didn't mean to and will want to change the image of the cache back to not found.

Another neat feature of the 60csx is that at the end of your day when you are ready to log your finds select the menu button and open up the calendar feature. Once you are viewing the calendar scroll down to the day you were geocaching and select that day. It will open a window that lists all of your finds in order so you don't have to try and remember which one you found first or possibly forget to log one in.

Hope this helps you out.

Edited by ao318

A bit new here (2 weeks to be exact) so could you tell me (I have a 60cx...same menus, etc as 60csx):

- how to mark a cache as found?

- I use GSAK & PQs so have, like, 300+ download - how do I change the icons (diff color flags) without doing each one individually?

I'm amazed at how much isn't told in the Garmin user's manual so really appreciate it when people like you post these things. thanks!!!!

Brian & AO318 - Thank you, both of your suggestions worked!

GVJ - After AO318's suggestion, I have been changing the symbol from the closed chest to the open chest. Doing that moves the chest in and out of the Geocaches icon. Also, Brian's advice helped me change the symbols, so maybe GSAK has a similar feature. It didn't change them all at once though in EasyGPS - they popped up one at a time for me to select the symbol and save. GSAK may be different, though.

Gigi

AO318, Thank you too for the tip about the calendar - we don't have a handheld, so I've been numbering the printed cache pages. No problem since we've just been doing a few and loading only the ones we intend to do that day, but if we decide to load a bunch that would be very helpful!

Gigi

Brian & AO318 - Thank you, both of your suggestions worked!

GVJ - After AO318's suggestion, I have been changing the symbol from the closed chest to the open chest. Doing that moves the chest in and out of the Geocaches icon. Also, Brian's advice helped me change the symbols, so maybe GSAK has a similar feature. It didn't change them all at once though in EasyGPS - they popped up one at a time for me to select the symbol and save. GSAK may be different, though.

Gigi

Thanks, Gigi - I used it today while out caching..just changed the chest icon!! Thanks, again.