What is the best GPS for geocaching and for autos?

1phoenix

well if you want a GPS for both car navigation and geocaching I'm going to recommend the Garmin GPSMap 76CSx. Once you install the City Navigator NT maps the unit is nearly flawless for both uses. You wont get spoken turn by turn directions but the unit will beep at you to let you know of an upcoming turn or direction change. The GPSMap 76CSx is a very rugged handheld unit, its waterproof, floats, has expandable memory. I've had mine since last November and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Welcome to the Forums! :huh:

The Legend HCx, Vista HCx, GPS Map60 Cx/CSx, and 76 Cx/CSx will all give auto-routing directions with the City Navigator maps installed. Some people prefer the 76 or 60 for driving, other people prefer the smaller size of the Legend HCx or Vista HCx for biking or hiking. The best thing to do would be to go to a store, like R.E.I., that carries all the models so you can handle them and see which one you prefer. The Legend HCx is the least expensive, selling for around $185.00.

The ones that comes closest to doing both well are the Garmin Quest and Quest II. They have voice prompts for driving directions and also do a nice job as a handheld. Thenegative with the Quest line is the internal rechargeable battery, but with the battery life rated at 20 hours it should be sufficient unless you're doing overnighters.

Just behind the Quest units are the Map 76CSX and 60CSX. They are chiefly designed as handhelds but do a good job in the car. No voice prompts, small screen and selecting a destination isn't as easy as it is with a Nuvi, but I've used my 60CSX (and 60CS previously) for several years for driving directions and it has performed quite well.

If driving is going to be a main use I'd stay away from the eTrex units because the buttons are on the side and it's not easy to operate the unit while driving, esp. if it's in its dashboard mount.