How do you set up cachemate using windows mobile 6

gomaui

I have a hp windows mobile 6 and am trying to get cachemate to work on it...i had it setup one time and battery went dead and lost info....the cachemate software is great but no support ...pls help would like to find a very knowledge person that i could call and have them walk me through how to set this program up on my pocket pc....thanks

GoMaui;

If Cachemate support sucks then I suggest you abandon and go to a program that is more supportive. I have no affiliatiation, but strongly recommend backcountry navigator from crittersoft. It is low cost does everything you need in a single program and has excellent support and user community.

Why continue to use Smittysoft if they won't support you?

check it out - http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/

(from their website)

BackCountry Navigator is software that turns your Pocket PC into a capable outdoor navigation device. With very little effort on your part, it will download freely available US topo maps and aerial photos surrounding the location of your next adventure. Attach a Pocket PC GPS to see your location on a moving map. Download and import waypoints, or add your own to get realtime guidance to an outdoor destination.

BackCountry Navigator has a number of benefits to the outdoor enthusiast:

Navigate with color Topographic Maps describing terrain of land and waterways.

Use Aerial Photography for a rich, overhead image of your area of interest.

Download USGS Geographic Places for Points of Interest from over two million geographic features within the United States at the touch of a button.

Download maps directly to your Pocket PC whenever connected to the internet without the need for desktop software, subscriptions, or CD Roms.

Use public domain maps from TerraServer-USA with no additional cost or subscription needed. In other words, use *Free Maps* for any region of the United States.

Create tiled maps that define the area of your adventure, without being limited by the boundaries of quads, counties, or states.

Use multiple maps resolutions automatically to load the appropriate image as you zoom into or out of a map.

Define unlimited Custom Waypoints for navigation with a tap of the screen.

Use the elevation estimator to approximate the altitude of places you will go.

Use a Pocket PC GPS Receiver to show your location on a moving, multiresolution map of the wilderness.

Track your progress toward a Goto Waypoint using the loaded maps and the compass image.

Import GPX files (GPS Exchange format) to use waypoints defined by friends or other internet users, plus trails previously recorded by others.

Display geocache locations on your map and see formatted descriptions and hints.

Import LOC files for cache waypoints.

See waypoints and places at a glance on a Point List.

Use the full display capabilities of your VGA Pocket PC with 2003SE for crisp and sharp images.

Support for Square Screen devices

Automatic GPS Detection or manual port and speed settings.

Smart bluetooth behavior in power off situations.

Mark your path using Tracking (breadcrumbing) functionality.

Export your waypoints and tracks in GPX format for sharing or use in desktop software.

Use the Quick Zoom Control for switching to various resolutions of map data.

Easily mark lines and rectangles on the screen for distance measurements.

I've used BCN for several years now on my Dell Axim running WM and it has gotten better and better with inline upgrades (no charge) and periodic major upgrades (for a cost) but you can choose to run older versions w/ no issues if you don't want to upgrade.

The best thing I like about it is the ability to see topo and satellite maps and have all the gc log data right there with a couple clicks of the screen. Now if my Dell battery would last longer I'd be happy as a clam in sand! Enjoy!

I'm really fond of Cachemate and for the price it is pretty good. As for support, I have always had excellent response time when I submitted a ticket.

Now for installation, you got the instructions straight from the developer.

If you are not sure how to load the EXE to the WM6 device, use ActiveSync and the Tools | Explore Smartphone option and copy the EXE from the PC to the device. After that, use the File Explorer application on the device to browse to where you saved the EXE and execute it.

BCN does look nice and I am going to try it, but the post asked about how to install Cachemate, not which software was better.

Hope that helps.

Shane aka ChromeBeast

ok let me explain myself a little better..i bought the 8 buck program...which is great and am not complaining about that but once i got it installed onto my pocket pc i tried to register it could not get it to work...emailed smittyware...to be frank the guy was a jerk in the way he responded to me...yes i was stupid and was not that tech savy using all these new toys...but i just needed some help...did not get much...but somehow i got it working...for about a month then the battery went dead on the pocket pc and when i went back into cache mate it said it needed to be registered again...have tried everything got new codes and still cant get it to work....when i go to the register it has a number in the top box and will not let me change it...again would someone that uses cachemate be willing to let me call them for help since smittyware does not provide phone support....i really like the program and would like to keep using it pls help

hey thanks for all of your advise..I got it to working agian and this time we made some step by step how to do it........again thanks for all of your info and for you time and caring....we love geocaching and have been really impressed with the quality people that is involved with geocaching....

I just installed Cachemate 1.3.4 on my Windows Mobile 6.1 device. Program installed fine, but after downloading the .gpx file from GSAK it appears Cachemate can't find it. It will only open the "Default" database, which has no records in it. I relocated the my file to the DB directory, even renamed it Default (renamed the original), but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just installed Cachemate 1.3.4 on my Windows Mobile 6.1 device. Program installed fine, but after downloading the .gpx file from GSAK it appears Cachemate can't find it. It will only open the "Default" database, which has no records in it. I relocated the my file to the DB directory, even renamed it Default (renamed the original), but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.smittyware.com/ppc/cachemate/faq.php#importing

I am running a HP iPaq with windows mobile 6 classic. I downloaded cachemate and installed it on my PDA. I transferred a .gpx file to my documents folder and opened cachemate. It will not open ANY files.

There is no IMPORT button under the LIST option.

I am running a HP iPaq with windows mobile 6 classic. I downloaded cachemate and installed it on my PDA. I transferred a .gpx file to my documents folder and opened cachemate. It will not open ANY files.

There is no IMPORT button under the LIST option.

Thank you...this is now the same issue I'm dealing with now that I finally got the program to actually register!

I have used Cachemate for a long time and love it.I don't use it as much now that I have an Oregon but it is always one of the first programs loaded on any new PPC phone I get for those impromptu caching sessions.I saw this post and was doing nothing better so maybe this will help some people out.Copy the GPX file anywhere on your PPC.I usually put mine on a storage card as that is the easiest for me.

Open Cachemate and follow along.

The main screen where it all begins

cachemate1.jpg

That brings us here where we can select what database to import to and Start the process.

cachemate2.jpg

Now click on the GPX file you want to import.

cachemate3.jpg

This is what you will see for a little while (or maybe a long while if you are trying to import a ton of caches)

cachemate4.jpg

If all has went as above you will be rewarded with this.

cachemate5.jpg

You're ready to go now. Happy Caching

CrazyOn2Wheels

If you have a high speed connection and want to follow along.Right click and save link as

Cachemate PPC GPX load tutorial

Edited by CrazyOn2Wheels