Geocaching with an iPhone 3G

I couldn't find a topic that discusses using the Apple iPhone 3G for geocaching, so I thought I'd start one. I don't have an iPhone yet, but I might be convinced to buy one if it would be economical enough. Some of the questions I have are:

1. What would it cost per month?

2. What applications are available to support geocaching on the iPhone 3G?

3. Can the iPhone 3g be used for geocaching when there is no cellphone or wi-fi coverage?

I'm sure there are other questions, but those should get the ball rolling.

CeltsFans

I couldn't find a topic that discusses using the Apple iPhone 3G for geocaching, so I thought I'd start one. I don't have an iPhone yet, but I might be convinced to buy one if it would be economical enough. Some of the questions I have are:

3. Can the iPhone 3g be used for geocaching when there is no cellphone or wi-fi coverage?

CeltsFans

While the cost per month varies based on your rate plan, it's pretty in line with other smart phone offerings that include an unlimited data plan. I am currently in the process of programming a full featured geocaching application for the iPhone, and it does have features that'll enable use when out of range of cell service. We've got a site up with a list of features and some screenshots, so take a look and let me know what you think. www.geodeapp.com

I checked out your website. Geode looks like it has most of the features necessary to be a useful geocaching tool. The only additional feature that would be desirable, in my opinion, is the ability to give turn-by-turn directions for driving to the cache area. This would likely require loading something like Garmin's MapSource.

My goal would be to have all the functionality I have with my current GPSr/PDA combination PLUS the ability to access the geocaching.com website and download cache info while I'm away from home. Unless I can have all that, I'm not willing to take on the extra expense.

CeltsFans

While the cost per month varies based on your rate plan, it's pretty in line with other smart phone offerings that include an unlimited data plan. I am currently in the process of programming a full featured geocaching application for the iPhone, and it does have features that'll enable use when out of range of cell service. We've got a site up with a list of features and some screenshots, so take a look and let me know what you think. www.geodeapp.com

I couldn't find a topic that discusses using the Apple iPhone 3G for geocaching, so I thought I'd start one.

That's odd. The search function on the Groundspeak forums is usually very good. What search terms did you use?

There have been two extensive discussions of it recently:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=199559

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=198252

Lots of good info in both of them.

Patty

sirmalloc: I like what you have planned.. you should check out the blog for "Geopher Lite". He has had a few issues with Groundspeak and getting his program to be accepted by Apple as well.

Celtsfans: Check that app out in the app store.. Geopher lite

CeltsFans

I checked out your website. Geode looks like it has most of the features necessary to be a useful geocaching tool. The only additional feature that would be desirable, in my opinion, is the ability to give turn-by-turn directions for driving to the cache area. This would likely require loading something like Garmin's MapSource.

My goal would be to have all the functionality I have with my current GPSr/PDA combination PLUS the ability to access the geocaching.com website and download cache info while I'm away from home. Unless I can have all that, I'm not willing to take on the extra expense.

CeltsFans

We'd love to have turn-by-turn as well, too bad Apple's TOS doesn't allow for that. Hopefully they'll be able to change that rule, because if they do, it's a feature I know a lot of application writers would want.

What type of GPSr do you have? I've got an eXplorist 600, and have found the iPhone's GPS capability's on par with it. In fact, day after launch of the 3G, we took the phone out to find a geocache nearby and it was dead on.

Come to think about it, that was the event that made us realize we could make a decent geocaching app :-)

What type of GPSr do you have? I've got an eXplorist 600, and have found the iPhone's GPS capability's on par with it. In fact, day after launch of the 3G, we took the phone out to find a geocache nearby and it was dead on.

I use a Garmin eTrex Venture Cx. I assume you're referring to my comment about the precision of navigating to the cache with the dots. I'm not concerned about accuracy, just the ability to precisely superimpose the blue and red dots on the map display. That's why I think the compass display is needed.

CeltsFans

CeltsFans

Any idea as to when this might be available ?