Religious material in caches

...If you can admit to yourself that there is a possibility that we may not yet know everything there is to know about everything...

Do you know how hard it is to convince some folks that even with all the time in the world we may never know everthing, or that we may actually hit a limit in that there is more to know but nobody lives long enough to learn what we do know so they can build from there? Not to mention getting them to admit that we don't know everthing now?

Some can't see that Science has limits, it has bounds, that there is more to learn and that what is yet to be learned can change what we thought we knew.

That aside, what the sailers thought they knew was actually limited to the two conditions. It just happens that it was don't fall off. I think it would help to know what the underlying assumption is on the God or Not God. There is one. Ready or not may not fully realize what it is though. I think tt's closer to "There is a God who matters" or "There isn't a God who matters"

The options are:

1) NO GOD(s)

2) GOD(s)

There are NO other options.. Its either ON or OFF.. If you believe we were put here by aliens, the aliens are not GOD, therefore they fall into category 1. There may be more categories within either 1 or 2, but there are not any more base categories besides those 2.

What would you suggest adding for options 3? 4,5,6?

Seriously? You wanna go there? Your own dictionary can't even decide on a single meaning for the word much less the 270+ religions out there:

Main Entry: 1god

Pronunciation: \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god

Date: before 12th century

1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a: the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe bChristian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind

2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality

3: a person or thing of supreme value

4: a powerful ruler

So lacking a clear definition of the word altogether, how can we even start to put it in a position of absolutes? To take that position you would first have to assume you have a irrefutable understanding of God and his position in the universe and beyond. Supposing you're talking about the "Christian" God, direct translation of His words don't even use that word. The closest we can come is the translation "I am" that has been replaced with LORD or God by transcribers. So we have the supreme entity (or at least a possibly all powerful entity) who deigns to describe himself at all and YOU are going to do it for Him with absolutes? Go on with your bad self, just watch out for the lightning! :(

That aside, what the sailers thought they knew was actually limited to the two conditions. It just happens that it was don't fall off.

When I posted those two options I was running out the door from work to go home, and on my way home I thought about it and realized I didn't post what I'd been thinking in my head.

I went back just now and edited the two choices a little to more accurately reflect the two choices the sailors thought they were limited to, and it's easier to see that there were indeed at least two other options available that they couldn't even comprehend. Namely, 3) keep sailing and find a different shore, or 4) keep sailing and by taking the right path go all the way around and come back to where they started.

The fact that their limited intelligence couldn't comprehend them didn't mean they didn't, or couldn't, exist.

KBI why do you think that nobody can understand what was possibly offensive about asking you a question as to why you keep bringing things that I asked you to stop bringing up?

I dunno. You tell me.

I've done my best to explain myself, and I think my posts have been crystal clear.

Communication is very important to getting along. Why don't you just spit it out and quit being ambiguous? I can't help you if I don't understand what the problem is.

:(;):D

Thanks for the laugh. I enjoyed that.

(Let me know if you ever decide to go back and actually read all those unambiguous words of mine you just quoted.)

I've already read them and they make absolutely no sense to me. So stop bugging me to answer something that makes no sense. Edited by TrailGators

...If you can admit to yourself that there is a possibility that we may not yet know everything there is to know about everything...

Do you know how hard it is to convince some folks that even with all the time in the world we may never know everthing, or that we may actually hit a limit in that there is more to know but nobody lives long enough to learn what we do know so they can build from there? Not to mention getting them to admit that we don't know everthing now?

Some can't see that Science has limits, it has bounds, that there is more to learn and that what is yet to be learned can change what we thought we knew.

If the time the universe has been around was a day, then man has been only around for about 1 second. So how much do you think that man really knows?
2+2=4, Carson City is the capital of Nevada, George Washington was our first president.

Shall I continue?

:(

I case you didn't catch it, I stole that bit from Bugs Bunny.

Rocky: Cut it! This guy knows too much, Mugsy. Let's take him for a ride.

I'm a big Bugs fan. ;)

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive. -Bugs Bunny

On the subject of "dude" being disrespectful or not, the "head dude" (president) of our company held a meeting with all of engineering yesterday and while he was trying to make a very serious point his cell phone rang LOUD and his ring tone was Led Zepplin's "Kashmir" off of "Physical Grafitti" and we all looked around waiting for someone to say "d-u-d-e" to him.... hehehehe Cool dude!

Duck Season!

On the subject of "dude" being disrespectful or not, the "head dude" (president) of our company held a meeting with all of engineering yesterday and while he was trying to make a very serious point his cell phone rang LOUD and his ring tone was Led Zepplin's "Kashmir" off of "Physical Grafitti" and we all looked around waiting for someone to say "d-u-d-e" to him.... hehehehe Cool dude!

Duck Season!

Great song! :ph34r:

I've already read them and they make absolutely no sense to me.

That's too bad. If you don't get it by now, I doubt you ever will.

Whatever... It obviously wasn't that important....

Incorrect.

As I have already explained, it is VERY important to me. You have merely decided that it is unimportant to you.

Just because you are unable to understand why you have offended me does not mean I am not offended.

I've already read them and they make absolutely no sense to me.

That's too bad. If you don't get it by now, I doubt you ever will.

Whatever... It obviously wasn't that important....

Incorrect.

As I have already explained, it is VERY important to me. You have merely decided that it is unimportant to you.

Just because you are unable to understand why you have offended me does not mean I am not offended.

This is what you sound like: I am offended because you did blah blah blah. Just because you don't know what blah blah blah is doesn't mean that it doesn't offend me! I think I've explained blah blah blah very clearly. Blah blah is VERY important to me. So stop doing blah blah blah!

I told you that I have no clue what you are talking about. So do me a favor and quit hen pecking me to death...

Edited by TrailGators
This is what you sound like: I am offended because you did blah blah blah. Just because you don't know what blah blah blah is doesn't mean that it doesn't offend me! I think I've explained blah blah blah very clearly. Blah blah is VERY important to me. So stop doing blah blah blah!
Oh let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream

I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen

They talk of days for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

:ph34r:

I told you that I have no clue what you are talking about. So do me a favor and quit hen pecking me to death...

funnnny, glad someone isnt taking this all that seriously

Edited by BRETTIOP

Nice poem. Now that is something I can understand. :) Edited by TrailGators

funnnny, glad someone isnt taking this all that seriously

I think some people forget that these threads are supposed to be fun.
That aside, what the sailers thought they knew was actually limited to the two conditions. It just happens that it was don't fall off.

When I posted those two options I was running out the door from work to go home, and on my way home I thought about it and realized I didn't post what I'd been thinking in my head.

I went back just now and edited the two choices a little to more accurately reflect the two choices the sailors thought they were limited to, and it's easier to see that there were indeed at least two other options available that they couldn't even comprehend. Namely, 3) keep sailing and find a different shore, or 4) keep sailing and by taking the right path go all the way around and come back to where they started.

The fact that their limited intelligence couldn't comprehend them didn't mean they didn't, or couldn't, exist.

A lot of things can be made into "yes, or no"

Even with your expanded premis we just came to know why they didn't fall of the edge of the world.

That said it's all about how you make the divisions. I understand your divsions we could both make a list of gradations from no god to god with all kinds of shades of grey in the middle. I also understand the other division and it's no less valid. It's just how they view it. Since I can see both I know that both views are valid and maybe just as important, why.

B)

Nice poem. Now that is something I can understand. B)

That's not a "nice poem". Those are the opening lyrics to Led Zepplin's song Kashmir.

I believe just a few post previous you even claimed to be familiar with that song. :huh::ph34r::D:)B):)

I wonder if the people that leave religious tracts in caches would care if they find out they're offending some people? I wonder if they'd be offended to find a book of Pope jokes in a cache?

Edited by Mushtang

Nice poem. Now that is something I can understand. :)

That's not a "nice poem". Those are the opening lyrics to Led Zepplin's song Kashmir.

I suppose now you want to argue about how lyrics and poems are not the same thing? No thanks.

B)

I believe just a few post previous you even claimed to be familiar with that song. :ph34r:B):):huh::D:)

Someone once told me that "Kashmir" is evidence that Led Zep is satanic. The reasoning went: Kashmir sounds like "cashmere", which comes from goats, and of course goats = devil. I'm not making this up. So, is it wrong to leave copies of "Houses of the Holy" in a cache knowing that some people might see it as pushing a religious view (never mind the naked bums all over the cover)?

B)

I believe just a few post previous you even claimed to be familiar with that song. :ph34r:B):):huh::D:)

Someone once told me that "Kashmir" is evidence that Led Zep is satanic. The reasoning went: Kashmir sounds like "cashmere", which comes from goats, and of course goats = devil. I'm not making this up. So, is it wrong to leave copies of "Houses of the Holy" in a cache knowing that some people might see it as pushing a religious view (never mind the naked bums all over the cover)?

Oh they got the satanic rep for a lot of reasons. I haven't heard that one before, Just because something sounds like something that comes from something that sometimes look like the devil, that isn't enough of a reason to equate it with the devil to me. I guess some people have to really stretch in order to prove a point that they otherwise couldn't prove.

I wonder if these folks would mind if I left a copy of AC/DC's album Hell's Bells in a cache? They have a bad rep too. B)

Not a poem.... "Kashmir" lyrics :ph34r:

And if you play the album backwards you can hear them say "If you hide it, they will come".... and I still stand by that the Groundspeak logo looks like a cross being blown by the wind.... HOW OFFENSIVE!!! (PUH-lease) Hell's Bells, another gewd album!

Edited by infiniteMPG

B)

Oh they got the satanic rep for a lot of reasons. I haven't heard that one before, Just because something sounds like something that comes from something that sometimes look like the devil, that isn't enough of a reason to equate it with the devil to me. I guess some people have to really stretch in order to prove a point that they otherwise couldn't prove.

I wonder if these folks would mind if I left a copy of AC/DC's album Hell's Bells in a cache? They have a bad rep too. B)

Hey now, that's something I'd like to find!

I'm glad you wrote that – because that is exactly what the explanations of some of the religious offendees in this thread sound like to me.

Like your crankiness over the pope joke reference, for example.

If you want me to stop responding to your insulting posts, then stop posting insulting posts.

If you want to stop reading my posts, then stop reading my posts. You have an 'ignore' function available, you know.

I only responded because you offended me when you told me that the thing that is bothering me is unimportant.

Look at it the other way around: If I made a pope reference you didn’t like, and then casually dismissed your complaint and tried to tell you that your being offended by the pope reference was unimportant simply because I didn't understand why you took offense, how would you have reacted?

Would you ask me to give you the benefit of the doubt, to respect your beliefs, and to stop the offensive comments? Isn’t that precisely what you demanded of Mushtang?

May I remind you again of the Golden Rule? Do you agree with the Golden Rule, TG? Do you understand the Golden Rule, TG?

Being religious does not grant you special protection from jokes. Being religious does not grant you special protection from ever being offended. Being religious does not grant you special immunity from people challenging your double standards.

Either (1) take responsibility for your own comments, show a little of the respect you demand from everyone else, and stop acting like you're the victim when people tell you you have offended them, or (2) try to have a little confidence and not be so thin-skinned in the first place.

Not a poem.... "Kashmir" lyrics :ph34r:

And if you play the album backwards you can hear them say "If you hide it, they will come".... and I still stand by that the Groundspeak logo looks like a cross being blown by the wind.... HOW OFFENSIVE!!! (PUH-lease) Hell's Bells, another gewd album!

OK. Shoot me because I didn't recognize the lyrics but I know the music very well. To be honest I don't know the words to a lot of songs. We get to enjoy Hell's Bell's everytime Trevor Hoffman comes out on the field! :huh:
I only responded because you offended me when you told me that the thing that is bothering me is unimportant.

Don't twist what I said. I said is must not be important if you won't even take the time to for us to understand what is bothering you so darn much. Anyhow, thanks again for clarifying what "the thing" is. :ph34r:
Wow! Just a quick scan, I may have missed something, but it looks like it's been 75 posts since the topic of this thread was even tangentially referred to back in post 404... are we going for a record?

You think the subject of being offended by vocally religious cachers who don’t respect other cacher’s sensibilities is off topic?

I think it’s square-ON-topic. I think it’s at the heart of the issue. I think it’s critical.

As usual, you are free to disagree.

Wow! Just a quick scan, I may have missed something, but it looks like it's been 75 posts since the topic of this thread was even tangentially referred to back in post 404... are we going for a record?

You also need to look closer at 471 and 474 I think.

And to stay on topic... again...

I'm finding that a lot of people who want to share their religion and make sure you know they're living right with Jesus aren't all that interested if you want to share your non-religion and suggest it's possible to live right without him. Tracts in caches aren't the only irritating way to spread that message.

Edited by Mushtang

You think the subject of being offended by vocally religious cachers who don’t respect other cacher’s sensibilities is off topic?...

It's the counterpoint of the thread topic. A lot of folks get annoyed when they see a tract in a cache. You could call that vocally anti tract cachers who don't respect other cachers sensablites.

Goose & Gander argument. It's on topic. The issue in general is deeper than a tract. Thus the discussion is germain.

I'm finding that a lot of people who want to share their religion and make sure you know they're living right with Jesus aren't all that interested if you want to share your non-religion and suggest it's possible to live right without him. Tracts in caches aren't the only irritating way to spread that message.

Nobody cares if you choose to live without Him (except for the people leaving tracts). I'm from Missouri, show me a post in this thread where someone in this thread said that they cared.... Edited by TrailGators

Nobody cares if you choose to live without Him. I'm from Missouri, show me a post in this thread where someone said this....

I can never have a good discussion about science with the non religiouse types who substitute science for faith. Too much dogma gets in the way. It's actually worse than talking to the hellbent for leather saved and all the rest of you are going to hell scream it at the top of their lungs until they lather up, types. At least you don't expect them to be rational.

Nobody cares if you choose to live without Him. I'm from Missouri, show me a post in this thread where someone said this....

I can never have a good discussion about science with the non religiouse types who substitute science for faith. Too much dogma gets in the way. It's actually worse than talking to the hellbent for leather saved and all the rest of you are going to hell scream it at the top of their lungs until they lather up, types. At least you don't expect them to be rational.

I didn't say they cared that I lived without him, I said they weren't interested in hearing about it if I wanted to share.

And your post proved my point nicely. Thanks.

Don't twist what I said. I said is must not be important if you won't even take the time to for us to understand what is bothering you so darn much. Anyhow, thanks again for clarifying what "the thing" is. :ph34r:

I DID clarify it. Repeatedly, in fact.

Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean I didn't explain it carefully and in full detail, in small words, and in your native language.

To be honest, I suspect you understand me more than you let on. I suspect you are hiding behind a weak, desperate and transparently lame defense. If that is the case, and if I were you, I would simply stop responding at this point. I remind you once again that you are free to stop posting anytime you choose.

If you truly do NOT understand why your response to me constitutes a double standard, on the other hand, then maybe you should at least keep that much in mind the next time you find yourself about to demand sensitivity and respect from someone else, remember how you dismissed me in this thread, and reconsider.

And as I said: I’m not the one doing the “hen-pecking.” I’m only responding to you every time you choose to post another insulting post.

Edited by KBI

Nobody cares if you choose to live without Him.

Ouch. You just offended me again. Please delete that offensive post.

I can never have a good discussion about science with the non religious types who substitute science for faith. Too much dogma gets in the way. It's actually worse than talking to the hellbent for leather saved and all the rest of you are going to hell scream it at the top of their lungs until they lather up, types. At least you don't expect them to be rational.
Good point. To me science is means to an end, but it is not an end.
I didn't say they cared that I lived without him, I said they weren't interested in hearing about it if I wanted to share.

And your post proved my point nicely. Thanks.

I think there is another misunderstanding going on. It seems like lots of people are getting offended by these tracts telling them what to do. These tracts are aimed at people who don't believe what the person issuing the tract believes. The reason that nobody in this thread leaves tracts is because they don't really care if people want to go their own way. I think you guys are confusing the way I used the word care. If you got run over by a truck I'm sure that most of us would care. I am also very interested in hearing what everyone believes. I find that it can be interesting. So don't lump me into a category. Edited by TrailGators
So don't lump me into a category.

Dude, you lumped yourself into the category with this post:

Nobody cares if you choose to live without Him

I made a valid point that the people who feel like they deserve to be heard, that it's their right to tell everyone else how they feel, are very often the same people that don't want to hear my view and my feeling. They'll proudly exclaim how they're a life long Catholic and how important the pope is to them, and they'll act offended whenever anyone mentions a pope joke. But when I even mention that I'm not a follower while making a point, they say things like, "Nobody cares if you choose to live without him".

I made a valid point that the people who feel like they deserve to be heard, that it's their right to tell everyone else how they feel, are very often the same people that don't want to hear my view and my feeling. They'll proudly exclaim how they're a life long Catholic and how important the pope is to them, and they'll act offended whenever anyone mentions a pope joke. But when I even mention that I'm not a follower while making a point, they say things like, "Nobody cares if you choose to live without him".

I already explained exactly what I meant. If you keep cracking jokes like that then you are just making yourself look like a heal. Finally, I also said that I am interested in others beliefs. By the way, you have no idea what mine are because I've only shown you a couple of cards in the deck.

I already explained exactly what I meant. If you keep cracking jokes like that then you are just making yourself look like a heal. Finally, I also said that I am interested in others beliefs. By the way, you have no idea what mine are because I've only shown you a couple of cards in the deck.

Let me get this straight: Trail Gators has, until now, been engaging in baiting, blaming, finger-pointing, and engaging rather extreme and unreasonable defensive postures, but now he (or she, whatever) seems to be suddenly changing horses in mid-stream and suggesting that Mushtang may be a healer of some kind. So, he (or she) is switching from accusing Mushtang of being an unwashed heathen, or at least a defender of unwashed heathenism, to suggesting that Mushtang may, in fact, be some kind of a religious or spiritual healer. Very odd! Am I the only one who is confused by this sudden change in posture?

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I figured if they stay here arguing about arguing they won't start over in some other thread. They seem to enjoy doing it, so better here than anywhere else. We'll know to avoid this one.

:D

Nice poem. Now that is something I can understand. :D

I believe just a few post previous you even claimed to be familiar with that song. :anibad::D:):D:D:D

WHOA! Not ten minutes after I posted this, I got in the car, and the first song to come on the radio -- after "Stinkfist" ended -- was "Kashmir"!

God's trying to tell me something.

I already explained exactly what I meant. If you keep cracking jokes like that then you are just making yourself look like a heel. Finally, I also said that I am interested in others beliefs. By the way, you have no idea what mine are because I've only shown you a couple of cards in the deck.

Let me get this straight: Trail Gators has, until now, been engaging in baiting, blaming, finger-pointing, and engaging rather extreme and unreasonable defensive postures, but now he (or she, whatever) seems to be suddenly changing horses in mid-stream and suggesting that Mushtang may be a healer of some kind. So, he (or she) is switching from accusing Mushtang of being an unwashed heathen, or at least a defender of unwashed heathenism, to suggesting that Mushtang may, in fact, be some kind of a religious or spiritual healer. Very odd! Am I the only one who is confused by this sudden change in posture?

I had a typo there. I meant heel. :anibad: Edited by TrailGators

Nice poem. Now that is something I can understand. :D

I believe just a few post previous you even claimed to be familiar with that song. :anibad::D:):D:D:D

WHOA! Not ten minutes after I posted this, I got in the car, and the first song to come on the radio -- after "Stinkfist" ended -- was "Kashmir"!

God's trying to tell me something.

All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground

And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land

Trying to find, trying to find where Ive been.