DNF - To Log or Not To Log?

This has become quite the interesting debate.

I look at it this way -- and this is the personal way I do it.

If I go to search for the cache and actually physically spend time looking and everything else at GZ, I post a DNF or found log. Easy enough.

If I start to hike toward a cache and was still 500 feet or more from it or something and had to turn around because of something else? I wouldn't DNF it because I didn't search for it. That's no different than driving 5 miles toward a cache 6 miles away and getting a call and having to turn around and then DNFng it. However, I might post a note if it merits (ie: the other day I went for a cache we had DNFd before and it was filled with muggles, I posted a note saying we were going for it again and we couldn't go there because of the overflow of people).

This, of course, is my personal preference. I would rather people DNF when they actually look for it, not just because they got close and something else came up or things like that. That's a note in my eyes.

However, if someone does search and doesn't find, I wish they would ALWAYS post some sort of a DNF. It really does help people. I have friends who I have been trying to encourage to post DNFs. They feel bad about it, which I can't understand. It helps people and owners.

If I go to search for the cache and actually physically spend time looking and everything else at GZ, I post a DNF or found log. Easy enough.

If I start to hike toward a cache and was still 500 feet or more from it or something and had to turn around because of something else? I wouldn't DNF it because I didn't search for it. That's no different than driving 5 miles toward a cache 6 miles away and getting a call and having to turn around and then DNFng it. However, I might post a note if it merits (ie: the other day I went for a cache we had DNFd before and it was filled with muggles, I posted a note saying we were going for it again and we couldn't go there because of the overflow of people).

This matches my line of thinking. I did this just the other day at a cache where there were too many muggles around to do a serious search. Went back the next day and found it. I have also posted notes instead of DNF's when I saw or knew where a cache was located and could not retrieve it. In reality, I did find it, I just couldn't put my hands on the container. Conversly, I would never log a cache as found unless I was able to open it up and sign the log or mark the contianer in such a way that shows that I was there.

Edited by FobesMan

This has become quite the interesting debate.

I look at it this way -- and this is the personal way I do it.

This, of course, is my personal preference. I would rather people DNF when they actually look for it, not just because they got close and something else came up or things like that. That's a note in my eyes.

However, if someone does search and doesn't find, I wish they would ALWAYS post some sort of a DNF. It really does help people. I have friends who I have been trying to encourage to post DNFs. They feel bad about it, which I can't understand. It helps people and owners.

That's your preference and that's fine. Nothing wrong with the way you do it. However, the way I look at it the hunt begins the moment I hit Go To on my GPS. I believe that determining the best approach and overcoming obstacles enroute are as much a part of the hunt as peeking inside hollow tree stumps, and feeling under park benches.

That's why I use hitting Go To on my GPS as the point where I will log a DNF if I come up empty. I started the cache hunt and didn't find it. DNF in my book.

If I log anything--I don't even log all of my finds--the criteria I use for a DNF is if during the hunt something prevents me from completing the find that has something to do with the hunt, it's a DNF.

For instance, DNFs might be for:

• Couldn't open the container.
  • Couldn't find the container.
  • The trail was washed away and I couldn't find a way around it.
  • I couldn't complete a field puzzle.
  • I forgot a special tool.

I'd probably do a note for:

• I ran out of time and was late for dinner.
  • I punched the coords in wrong.
  • It's started to rain, I was miserable, and I aborted the hunt.

I use a DNF if the hunt was aborted due to something about the hunt, a note if the hunt was aborted due to something else.

For those who think I should always log something, if I'm holding the cache log in my hand and decide to not sign, is it a DNF?

That's your preference and that's fine. Nothing wrong with the way you do it. However, the way I look at it the hunt begins the moment I hit Go To on my GPS. I believe that determining the best approach and overcoming obstacles enroute are as much a part of the hunt as peeking inside hollow tree stumps, and feeling under park benches.

That's why I use hitting Go To on my GPS as the point where I will log a DNF if I come up empty. I started the cache hunt and didn't find it. DNF in my book.

Nothing wrong with that either really, in the grand scheme of things geocaching. I'm hardly jumping up and down with rage. :)

I just happen to think that it's slightly misleading. You never looked for the cache, and yet you claim that you Did Not Find it. Rather odd! Of course you didn't find it. You know that you never went within reach.

Let me summarise: if you never looked for the cache, post a note instead of a DNF. Or if there's nothing interesting to note, just keep quiet.

Conversely, if you actually were in a position where you feel that a "find" should have been possible (even for an instant) then post a DNF if you didn't get the cache.

It's not a rule, nor am I presuming to instruct anyone. And I'm sure that there are exceptions: so do what you like! But I thought that it was worth pointing out a way of easily deciding the best course of action for the average cache, at least from my point of view... :)

Edited by Happy Humphrey
I just happen to think that it's slightly misleading. You never looked for the cache, and yet you claim that you Did Not Find it. Rather odd! Of course you didn't find it. You know that you never went within reach.

I started the hunt the moment I hit go to. I don't see how that is misleading. No, I didn't actually reach ground zero and start poking around, but is that all there is to a geocache hunt? I started the hunt and came up empty, so to me that's a DNF.

I personally don't see what the big deal is, as I find most that I seek :) But I went back and looked at all of my DNFs and there were some fun ones in there. DNF is part of the game, and gives me some memories, sometimes better than a FTF. But if you go for it and don't log it put it down as a DNF.

"Well I really did not that close. Got up pretty early, took the bike, took a long time to find the entry way that was referred to, if that is it then 4 wheel is a definite need, started riding--encountered bear-- continued on, dropped chain off sprocket, fixed chain, continued on encountered bear-- encountered hiker with two dogs who said there was another bear ahead that wouldn't leave the trail--that was enough for me.Left area, quickly"

Both of the bears were on a fire road within 100 feet of where I was riding my bicycle. The guy with the dogs was beating feet to get out of the woods, so that was enough for me. I did not want to meet #3. I lead a group hike back a few weeks later and found the cache, of course that group had a few slower people.

If I log anything--I don't even log all of my finds--the criteria I use for a DNF is if during the hunt something prevents me from completing the find that has something to do with the hunt, it's a DNF.

For instance, DNFs might be for:

• Couldn't open the container.
  • Couldn't find the container.
  • The trail was washed away and I couldn't find a way around it.
  • I couldn't complete a field puzzle.
  • I forgot a special tool.

I'd probably do a note for:

• I ran out of time and was late for dinner.
  • I punched the coords in wrong.
  • It's started to rain, I was miserable, and I aborted the hunt.

I use a DNF if the hunt was aborted due to something about the hunt, a note if the hunt was aborted due to something else.

For those who think I should always log something, if I'm holding the cache log in my hand and decide to not sign, is it a DNF?

Informational - it doesn't apply as a DNF and it doesn't technically apply as a Find. It's a note. At least that's the way I play it. I have 2 caches found but logs intentionally not signed due to a game being played now long done. I never went back to sign the logs. Notes were entered for the cache and my personal historical purposes.

Edited by TotemLake

I'll log a DNF ona cache if I am pretty convinced that either it's not where it should be or if I've given it a good search. When I'm out on a numbers run though, I will often not take the time to give a full search that would warrant a DNF post. I think I really need to be thorough before posting a DNF.

I do post them though! and there is no shame in that but only when I'm convinced that it's not as described.

There are exceptions to this though. I posted one on Saturday only to find it on Sunday after a coord update.

I log a DNF if I start hunting for a cache and can't find it, with a couple of exceptions. If I am working on a cache that has several stages, and it just ends up taking longer than I anticipated so that I have to break off partway through, I won't DNF it provided that I can make it back to continue hunting in the next couple of days. Also, if in the course of hunting a cache I realize I need something that I don't have with me-- money for parking, a flashlight, more water than I packed, a pen for the logbook-- I won't DNF until I give it another shot with the proper supplies.

Please Please Please Log ALL your DNF's and do not delete them!

THERE IS NO SHAME IN LOGGING A DNF!

A DNF LOG IS NOT AN ADMITION OF FAILURE!

In fact, the logging of a DNF is quite contrary to that notion. Logging a DNF is a very important and productive tool that benefits cache owners and other cache seekers. Unfortunately, logging a DNF currently carries very negative connotations, such as failure. This is highly unfortunate and the geocaching ommunity pays the price because of it. Here's why:

I like to think I am responsible cache owner for I check on my caches regularly. However, when no logs are posted on my cache I am left to assume that the cache has not been saught and I feel no need to check on it. When a DNF is logged, immediately, the possibility that it is gone is apparent and I take my next oppurtunity to check on my cache. Let's say for example that my cache for whatever reason disappears. The next day, a cacher visits the location and does not find the cache, but does not log a DNF. The second day, another cacher visits the location, doesn't find it, and also does not log a DNF. The third day, you visit the cache and can't find the cache as well. You log a DNF. When I recieve that DNF notice, I will take my next oppurtunity to visit the cache site to check on the cache. If it is indeed gone, I will disable, replace, and enable the cache as soon as I possibly can. Now, the point being, that if the cacher on the first day had logged their DNF, I would have checked on the cache that first day thus saving the cacher on the second day and you on the third day from wasting you time and money searching for a cache that was not present. Does that make sense? You will have paid the price for other cachers not logging their DNF's. In truth, the last thing I want is for someone to be looking for one of my caches when it is gone. I think a lot of cache owners will agree with this paragraph and also will assume that no activity suggests that the cache is not being visited, while checking the cache after a DNF.

This is not the only reason. There are others. For example, DNF's being logged regularly on a cache can help the cache owner determine a suitable difficulty level for the cache. If DNF's are being logged on a cache, the cache owner may raise the difficulty level of the cache, thus helping you more accurately decide the difficulty of a cache. Aside from leading to more accurate difficulty ratings, the cache owner may decide to add a hint if they want it to be more easily found.

These are just a couple of the reasons why logging a DNF is a very important practice. The next time you are out caching please be courteous to other cachers, including the cache owner, and log your DNF's. Logging DNF's is not a shameful experience. Take pride in the fact that you are informing other cachers that the find could not be made.

Thank you for the explanation. I personally feel no shame on logging a DNF. I have 26 caches under my belt and 2 DNF. I logged those after doing a thorough search. At the one place I searched for approximately an hour because I want that one BAD! The other I spent 40 minutes searching. The first one was about 3 weeks ago and the other was this weekend. I have been watching the first but have seen no activity on it since mine. I plan on going back to that one soon in case the owner has checked it. Either way, if I put in the effort to search and legitimately can't find it, I will log a DNF.