New to this

MattBW

Well I am new to this, the whole thing was triggered by the purchase of my iphone. I discovered it could be used for it and curious, I checked what it was.

Next I found there were lots near my home, and lastly i discovered my Forerunner 305 could be used too.

I figured I would give it a go, and it would give many good excuses for a day out on the motorbike. In a couple weeks Im down in Devon (croyde) and I see there are lots there too, so I look forward to finding out what all the fuss is about.

I have also bought a travel bug which I hope to release once it arrives ;)

Hello MattBW - Welcome to this Forum ;)

It's exceptionally quiet around here at the moment because the UK's First Mega Event is taking place this weekend in Harrogate and hundreds of geocachers are converging on the town as we type! ;)

I hope you'll enjoy your first attempt to find a geocache. Please hang around for a while - Next week the Forum crowd will be back to full strength :laughing:

MrsB

Hey, welcome.

ohh and iPhone. There have been a few people here asking if it any good for geocaching. As far as we can see there is no specific software available for the iPhone.

Tell us how well it works for geocaching - I'm still torn between the iPhone and the N95

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome ;)

kbootb the iphone has google maps, very good web browser and an app called Geopher. Geopher is actually worse than using geocache.com and the website but is underdevelopment so may get better with time.

I haven't tried it yet but you can click the map link on the webpage and it will automatically add the coordinates to google maps and open them up. You can then use directions and even look at the satellite view. As I have never done geocaching before, I dont know how "in the spirit" that is.

Bizarrely I am up in Harrogate tomorrow for a wedding.

Edited by MattBW

Matt

Dave (Purple Pineapples) and I are doing a 'session' on paperless caching at the Harrogate Event on Sunday for people who have not got into the PC/GPS/PockePC/phone way of getting caching information. If you are likely to be at the event it would be useful for others to see the application on the iPhone. So if you are there, come and find us!

Chris (MrB)

It is indeed the iphone 3g, the new one.

I am in summerbridge at present recovering from a great wedding.

Sadly I don't have my own transport here so I won't make it today, sorry.

You not far from me :D If you ever in the area and want to go caching I'm sure we can organise something. Just msg me through my profile :o

Hi MattBW and welcome to the addiction.

We strongly recommend that you look out for the next CacheWalker Event which is most likely going to be at the end of September and is usually in the Evesham area. It's a great way to meet some local cachers, it starts with a caching walk together and usually involves a big meet at a pub where even more cachers turn up. We've attended 3 so far and haven't been disappointed.

Maybe we'll see you there.