Do you erase found caches from your GPSr?

jeepcacher

I leave them on my GPSr until after I get home and download the Tracks and Waypoints to my Mapsource maps. Having that reference helps me log the caches in order on the days when I get a chance to find more than a few caches.

Before I load fresh data into the GPSr, I Delete all the Found and Unfound caches.

I have a Vista HCx, so I have all the caches I have Found on my GPSr as POIs. You never know when you might need that reference . . . ;)

Thanks just wanted to make sure it is ok to erase them. Is there a place to keep track of what you have found, size, difficulty, terrain?

If you are using GSAK you can keep track of them there or if you have a premium account you can load them on your profile page with several different programs such as Cachestats to mention a couple.

Thanks just wanted to make sure it is ok to erase them. Is there a place to keep track of what you have found, size, difficulty, terrain?

If you are a premium member, once a week you can have a pocket query of all your finds sent to you. It will have all that info. You can then run it through an app like Watcher or GSAK.

I delete ALL the caches from my GPS, and load fresh data from my PQs, which are set to filter out caches I've already found. No point in keeping around stale data. That just gets you into trouble.
I do the same just before I head out caching. When I get home form caching I upload my tracks and found caches to Mapsource to help me log them.

When I was using an old Garmin 12XL I'd delete them right away, they got in the way for finding the next closest cache. I'm using a Garmin 60CSx now and it allows you to tag a cache as found so it doesn't get in the way of finding the next closest cache. Some time later on, not necessarily the same day, with a couple of button pushes the 60CSx will delete all found caches at once. I frequently blow them all away, found and not found, and load it up again from GSAK, same with the PocketPC and CacheMate. This is because the caches in my area undergo rapid changes, new ones added, old ones archived, disabled, etc.

I keep all found caches on my GPSr as POIs, that makes it easier when I want to place a cache.

that'll change.

How so ?

I'm almost positive that that is a reference to your potential for running out of space and thereby having nothing but finds on your GPSr.

There are other hardware related issues that only deleting POIs would solve but that is the most common one.

I keep all found caches on my GPSr as POIs, that makes it easier when I want to place a cache.

that'll change.

How so ?

I'm almost positive that that is a reference to your potential for running out of space and thereby having nothing but finds on your GPSr.

There are other hardware related issues that only deleting POIs would solve but that is the most common one.

You can put unlimited Garmin POIs on a 60CSx

I delete ALL the caches from my GPS, and load fresh data from my PQs, which are set to filter out caches I've already found. No point in keeping around stale data. That just gets you into trouble.

I just got my first gps (60cx) and am starting to use GSAK (and Cachemate as soon as I get a Palm). How do I delete all of the caches before loading new ones - I thought I had to do that one at a time which would take forever. Also, doesn't GSAK update the ones that are already on the gps (I'm asking because I'm not sure)?

What exactly are PQs and what are the benefits of having them? Also what are the benefits of a premium membership? I am likely going to get one, it's fairly cheap.

PQ = Pocket Query. You can download a GPX file for up to 500 caches at a time, as many as 5 a day. I use them to keep a semi-updated list of local caches, plus I download lots of caches when I go on trips for business. Also, the GPX format contains all cache information, including short and long descriptions, hint, cache type, cache size, plus the last 5 logs. The LOC format (available for free members) doesn't include nearly that much info. Once a week you can download a PQ with your entire find history, which is useful for stat-crunching programs and web sites (I use www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com, check out my profile for some of the generated stats and charts). PQ's and the GPX format alone are worth the $30/year for me.

There's a page somewhere listing all the premium benefits, but it's after midnight and I'm too tired to look for it now. It should be easy for you to find, though, because TPTB wants you to find it and send them money. Start at the main page www.geocaching.com.

What exactly are PQs and what are the benefits of having them? Also what are the benefits of a premium membership? I am likely going to get one, it's fairly cheap.

PQ = Pocket Query. You can download a GPX file for up to 500 caches at a time, as many as 5 a day. I use them to keep a semi-updated list of local caches, plus I download lots of caches when I go on trips for business. Also, the GPX format contains all cache information, including short and long descriptions, hint, cache type, cache size, plus the last 5 logs. The LOC format (available for free members) doesn't include nearly that much info. Once a week you can download a PQ with your entire find history, which is useful for stat-crunching programs and web sites (I use www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com, check out my profile for some of the generated stats and charts). PQ's and the GPX format alone are worth the $30/year for me.

There's a page somewhere listing all the premium benefits, but it's after midnight and I'm too tired to look for it now. It should be easy for you to find, though, because TPTB wants you to find it and send them money. Start at the main page www.geocaching.com.

Thanks for the info. I really like the stats on your page. I will definitely be going with the premium membership. It is only $30, everyone really should do it if they can afford it. I have noticed that this "free" activity gets quit expensive. But hey it get me out of the house on days I do not work, I get to make it a family activity, and I get to see places I either never heard of or never bothered to visit. I have only been doing it for two weekends and am up to 34 finds. I am thinking about placing some near me as there are very few in a high tourist area.

Newby here - if you d/l 2 times but they are different PQs (diff criteria) are they all listed together on the GPS or in separate groups? Also, can you "mass" erase tons of them at a time off the GPS? Thanks!!

Newby here - if you d/l 2 times but they are different PQs (diff criteria) are they all listed together on the GPS or in separate groups? Also, can you "mass" erase tons of them at a time off the GPS? Thanks!!

I'm not sure if duplicates will show or not but i do believe that all the caches will be grouped together. As far as deleting, yes. Punch the find button, highlight waypoints (if that's where your caches are), hit the enter button, then hit the menu button and scroll down to delete. You'll find what you want in the window that comes up..

I am just curious if people keep their found caches in their GPSr or if they remove them after logged. AND why you leave them or remove them.

I remove mine periodically. Which honestly, probably isn't the best way because it's time consuming. But, if I were smarter, I'd delete them right after finding.

I delete because I always keep my GPSr loaded with caches to find, just in case I happen to be in the area so I'd rather not have to weed through all the finds, too.

Happy Caching!

I am just curious if people keep their found caches in their GPSr or if they remove them after logged. AND why you leave them or remove them.

I delete them when I'm done with the pocket query I'm working on - or - when a new pocket query comes in.

You can keep up with your finds by running your "my finds" pocket query

I delete them when I find them. Then when I hit "goto" the nearest cache is unfound. This is on a GPS V. On others that have a caching mode you can mark them as found and goto the nearest unfound. Even then I'd delete all of them when I get a new pocket querie. I don't want stale cache info on my GPS.

We are using a Legend eTrex. I got in the habit of renaming caches right away when I find them.... change the GC**** to a FC*** (found cache). thay way there are there to remind we found it and still has the rest of the identifiying characters before we log it. Also it is there if you need it again, but it is easy to ignore when you go to seek for the next nearest unfound cache. Sometimes helps with remembering which caches you found or didn't when you go to log a few you visited. This is also sometimes usefull in helping you find and judge your distances or remembering trail branches on your way back to your car more easily than following the breadcrumbs. I have trouble seeing some breadcrumbs, especially if they are overlayed on a Mapsource topo in a city/state/fed park and the screen is too dark. I clean up the FC's later after I've logged and am sure I'm done with them.

We just started recently but I find it easier to just delete the found ones once we get home leaving only unfound ones in the GPS. I like to keep it loaded up with a bunch to find just in case we have time to stop and take a look for 1 or 2 (not that we've had a huge amount of time lately).

If I'm caching solo, I don' put the found caches into my GPS. If I'm caching with any other cachers, I put the found caches in my GPS in case they want to find some I've already found, which I don' mind going along with them on. Tis fun for me to stand off to the side, and give little hints or laugh when they're close but, still not finding it.

After a cache run, I remove (delete) all caches from my Garmin 60CSx and then clean any pertinent data bases in GSAK and then "send" all gpx waypoints to GPS...cuts down any confusion and I know that all GPX waypoints are up to date. Same with my Garmin Smart Phone PDA. I'm now ready for my next Cache Run. Happy Trails.

that'll change.

How so ?

You can put unlimited Garmin POIs on a 60CSx

i took it to mean caches geting archived and being able to put a cache in the spot the archived cache was.

If I'm caching solo, I don' put the found caches into my GPS. If I'm caching with any other cachers, I put the found caches in my GPS in case they want to find some I've already found, which I don' mind going along with them on. Tis fun for me to stand off to the side, and give little hints or laugh when they're close but, still not finding it.

i love doing that too. especially when they are so close.

Hi There,

this is new to me also, I've had to visit a site 3 times before I found the cache I was looking for. I used my Garmin Ique M3 which is my mobile GPS. It has selectable icons for the map locations. So for the cache I download I use a Closed Treasure Chest and when found I change it to an Open Treasure Chest. This way I can always keep track of my "conquest's" in any given area at a glance...

Bill :unsure: