The website no longer displays on my smartphone

Run&Hike

Sometime last week I tried to open the website on my Motorola Q Smartphone with Windows 5.0 Mobile and Internet Explorer. Most of the features seem to be missing now. It used to work fine, and we could search and log caches anywhere I had cellphone signal. Suddenly it doesn't work! Is this known, and will a fix be made soon?

How is it not working?

The pages do not display correctly. The "menu" normally at the top left (Getting Started, etc.) is now somewhere at the bottom of a VERY LONG screen, and each "Menu" choice is in black text overlayed by an HTML duplicate of that, slightly offset from the text.

I honestly don't know if it's been reformatted and exceeds my screen width, or if it contains Flash, which my Motorola Q browser won't support.

My daughter, who has a newer "Q", is experiencing the same problems.

Other websites are OK, only Geocaching.com is not working right.

I know I can use the "Lite" site, (WAB.geocaching.com), but that limits cache pages to 5 logs and no maps.

I guess I've gotten spoiled, being able to pull up a cache page while out "on the trail".

It worked fine until sometime last week. I noticed it for the first time on Friday the 25th when I started logging in for a week's caching.

I'm not sure this makes sense -- you just have to see it on a "Q".

It makes perfect sense to me. :huh:

What you describe is exactly what I now get on my Treo 680 running Blazer 4.5.

Blazer has two display modes, Optimized (for the smaller screen) and Wide-Page.

Since the site changes, Optimized, isn't. The site displays in a single (really) long vertical column.

Wide-Page looks fine, but involves much side-scrolling...like looking at your desktop monitor through a section of pipe. Annoying, but usable.

Considering the (probably) much lower number of site visitors who are using mobile browsers, I'm sure the developers have been working on much more urgent issues affecting more site users at the moment (like the folks who have to print everything they see :) ).

I expect this issue will be resolved eventually; but for now, rest assured you are not alone!

On my way to an event several caches popped up and I tried to get info on them with my Motorola Q smartphone, and discovered that the website not only displays incorrectly, I can't use a search for a Zipcode OR a Waypoint from either the Homepage or the.Hide and Seek page. I ended up using the WAP site, but it limits to five logs.

On my way to an event several caches popped up and I tried to get info on them with my Motorola Q smartphone, and discovered that the website not only displays incorrectly, I can't use a search for a Zipcode OR a Waypoint from either the Homepage or the.Hide and Seek page. I ended up using the WAP site, but it limits to five logs.

Try going in through the Google Mobile portal. Depending on the User Agent your browser is sending, it will reformat the pages on the fly, for a mobile device. Enter "geocaching.com" as the search term, and the site should be the first link. Just bookmark it in your browser.

Unfortunately, the one thing that won't work is list paging, since those don't contain real URLs. Sure would be nice if that were fixed. But for looking up individual caches, it's great.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Try going in through the Google Mobile portal. Depending on the User Agent your browser is sending, it will reformat the pages on the fly, for a mobile device. Enter "geocaching.com" as the search term, and the site should be the first link. Just bookmark it in your browser.

Unfortunately, the one thing that won't work is list paging, since those don't contain real URLs. Sure would be nice if that were fixed. But for looking up individual caches, it's great.

Thanks Prime!

The workaround festival continues... :lol:

My Palm 750 with Win Moble 6 will not work properly either. When entering a zip code and clicking on "seek", geocaching.com returns to the same page where I just entered the zip code and my seach zip is still in the field. It will report caches if the search is done from the ADVANCED search page.

On several pages, clicks on hyperlinks are simply ignored. After doing a search on a zip code, for example, the first page of caches comes up normally. If I try to navigate to the next page of listed caches, clicks on the hyperlinks do not register. I use my treo a lot for logging finds or doing searches for caches if I find myself in a new area and decide I want to do some hunting. At this point, that can't be done very well.

I have tried using Google mobile portal and the issues still exist, and if you enter the portal with a laptop/desktop the simple search by zip code fails as well.

I'm hoping that eventually the site will be "device aware", and reformat based on the device that is visiting it. Quite a few sites that I visit on a regular basis now do this, and even allow access to everything that I can do form a regular browser (for the most part at least).

The WAP site is only good to a point, and that's if you already know the gcid you want to lookup, since a search will show all caches, including found caches.

My Treo 750 has Windows Mobile 6 Professional and the browser is Internet Explorer. I have no problems with other websites I visiit with the phone. On no other site I visit do I find action buttons that refuse to perform the action they are supposed to. I really don't need to use the google mobile site because the mobile Internet Explorer will format the pages as needed to make the pages work on the screen. I tried goodgle mobile to see if it would help with the inactive action keys and it did not.

The fact that the site admins are not fixing this is why I have not purchased a premium membership for the past 3 months. In fact, the entire effort of obfuscating this site is exactly the kind of thing I do not want to fund. This is something that is VERY easy to fix. But the admin's appear to have 'preventing access for a few' a greater priority than fixing access for the paying subscribers. Why subscribe?

All these pejorative comments are not getting our problem solved. I emailed Ground Speak about the new, improved website and the reply I got was simply, "At this time, we do not support mobile devices." Strange that everything worked just fine until the "improvements" to the site were made--for me and others, it was a giant step backward. The ability to use my Treo to log finds and do searches in the field was one reason I became a premium member. My issues with the new site are stated in an earlier post, so there is no need to repeat those here. My hope that my annual contribution would help fund advancement, in fact, did not come to be. The problems the new site has with mobile browsers is important enough to warrant attention. The move toward paperless caching naturally suggests that the site be repaired so that mobile browsers will once again work properly.

I had a few minutes to kill just now, so I decieded to check out the newest caches in my state (Arizina, of course!) using my TREO, but I couldn't advance past the first page. Tapping the 'Next' link produces NO results. I have javascript enabled.

At least I can post about the lack of functionality here.

Just curious...which TREO do you have and what OS and browser are being used? I am using a 750 with win mobil 6 and IE to post this. My other TREO is a 755p Palm OS and Blazer browser. The GC web site does the same thing you described with both devices.
I had a few minutes to kill just now, so I decieded to check out the newest caches in my state (Arizina, of course!) using my TREO, but I couldn't advance past the first page. Tapping the 'Next' link produces NO results. I have javascript enabled.

At least I can post about the lack of functionality here.

Just curious...which TREO do you have and what OS and browser are being used? I am using a 750 with win mobil 6 and IE to post this. My other TREO is a 755p Palm OS and Blazer browser. The GC web site does the same thing you described with both devices.

Treo 680 and Blazer 4.5. I see the spell check on it isn't working either! :)

Interestingly, the URL in the address bar briefly flashes some reference to javascript when I tap on the 'Next' link, for whatever diagnostic value can be derived

I have the problem with a Treo 650 and Palm software. Used to work fine until a couple weeks ago.

A couple weeks ago? Really?

Mine started choking after the last big site 'upgrade' back in June.

_________________________________________________________________________________

One can only hope that the new Geocaching V2.0 will take care of this by being browser/platform aware.

Three months ago I read it will be coming out on Tuesday...no mention of WHICH Tuesday though...