etrex vista hcx bike mount suggestions

bubnme

the mount they list doesn't fit. the micro sd card slot is in the way and it is too narrow for my unit. this bracket works for the older etrex units. i went to REI the other day and tried it out already so i was bummed and lucky i didn't buy it online before seeing it in person. i like the flush mount that they offer but it doesn't work. any suggestions for my bike mount?

the mount they list doesn't fit. the micro sd card slot is in the way and it is too narrow for my unit. this bracket works for the older etrex units. i went to REI the other day and tried it out already so i was bummed and lucky i didn't buy it online before seeing it in person. i like the flush mount that they offer but it doesn't work. any suggestions for my bike mount?

You have to remove the bracket itself from the supplied back cover and screw it into the threaded portion on the back of the Vista. The back cover supplied is for older etrex units that don't have the screw threaded part the newer ones have. In your case you can just throw that bit away.

Edited by AlunS

I'm not sure what the micoSD card slot has to do with anything. It's behind the units back cover. Not in the way at all.

I believe they sell a replacement battery cover as part of the bike mount package. Unfortunately, it's for a different model in the e-trex series and does not have a "relief" for the SD card - so does not fit properly.

The OP needs to look at this thread and this thread

The bracket that came with my Vista HCx is the one shown in that thread. Surprisingly, it snaps right into the bike handlebar mount I had bought for my old Magellan Merigold.

edit: added 2nd link

Edited by cliff_hanger

The newer etrex should have come with the lug n catch part of the mount, loose in the box. This screws onto the threaded boss on the back of the etrex, and makes it look like the back supplied in the original kit.

Pity Garmin only supply the large mount by itself, as modern units obviously cant use the replacement back with the standard mount. Luckily I also have a geko, so I bought the geko kit, and at least the cradle fits something.

The etrex adapter just snaps into the bar ring from the geko kit.

If you don't have the adaptor, you will have to contact Garmin.

Made my own.

-A piece of metal stripping (the type with holes used to hang water piping etc. )

-An old belt or small piec of leather

- 2 hose clamps

- a Garmin universal black clip-(available thru GpsCity)

Bend the piece of metal in the shape of a top hat, Attach the small piece of belt(to give it some thickness) and attach the two flanges to your handle bars using the hose clamps.

The Garmin clip hooks on the the holder in the same manner it would hook on to your belt.

Made 2 one for the wife and one for myself - they work great. and cheap$$$

I did not realize that all I needed was the part for the handle bars. I found the piece that came with the unit and I now know what to order. I just have to figure out what size adaptor I need... regular or large.

I'm not sure what the micoSD card slot has to do with anything. It's behind the units back cover. Not in the way at all.

I believe they sell a replacement battery cover as part of the bike mount package. Unfortunately, it's for a different model in the e-trex series and does not have a "relief" for the SD card - so does not fit properly.

The OP needs to look at this thread and this thread

The bracket that came with my Vista HCx is the one shown in that thread. Surprisingly, it snaps right into the bike handlebar mount I had bought for my old Magellan Merigold.

edit: added 2nd link

Thanks for the links... This clears up alot except for which mount to buy... large or regular.

The newer etrex should have come with the lug n catch part of the mount, loose in the box. This screws onto the threaded boss on the back of the etrex, and makes it look like the back supplied in the original kit.

Pity Garmin only supply the large mount by itself, as modern units obviously cant use the replacement back with the standard mount. Luckily I also have a geko, so I bought the geko kit, and at least the cradle fits something.

What do you mean by Garmin only supplying the large mount by itself?

Yeah, I'm unclear on that, too.

Seem like this is the large one and this is the standard one

Or cheaper large one and cheaper standard one

As far as which one you need? I'm assuming large one (1" to 1-1/4" diameter) for mountain bike handlebars and the "standard" for road bike handle bars. Or get the large one and add another layer of sheet rubber for more shock absorption if necessary?

Edited by cliff_hanger

As far as which one you need? I'm assuming large one (1" to 1-1/4" diameter) for mountain bike handlebars and the "standard" for road bike handle bars. Or get the large one and add another layer of sheet rubber for more shock absorption if necessary?

Okay... what is the difference between a mountain bike and a road bike? I think I own a mountain bike but now I'm not so sure... lol.

Okay... what is the difference between a mountain bike and a road bike? I think I own a mountain bike but now I'm not so sure... lol.

A mountain bike will have a flat handle bar and wider, knobby tires. Most road bikes have the curved bars with skinny tires. If you have a mountain bike, I am almost certain you would need the large mount. If you found it was a little too large, you could always add another strip of rubber to the supplied one to make up the difference. Or wrap electrical tape multiple times around the bar to enlarge it as well.

"As far as which one you need? I'm assuming large one (1" to 1-1/4" diameter) for mountain bike handlebars and the "standard" for road bike handle bars. Or get the large one and add another layer of sheet rubber for more shock absorption if necessary?"

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that most road bikes and mountain bikes alike have the same diameter handlebars. Check with a bike shop to be sure. I bought the eTrex bike mount kit that has both the rail mount adapter (I think it's the smaller one) and the replacement back cover. I don't use the old blue Legend anymore, but the rail mount bracket that came with the kit has worked on my old road bike, my mountain bike, and my new hybrid.

I have a eTrex Vista HCx that I use on several different bikes. By far the best bike mounts are the RAM brand available from gpscity.com, http://www.gpscity.com/gps-mount/garmin/etrex-vista-hcx. I've tried the Garmin mounts and didn't find them secure enough.

These are the two mounts that I use:

1) Handlebar mount http://www.gpscity.com/rap274ga16

2) Stem or handlebar mount with adjustable arm http://www.gpscity.com/ramb108ga16

You won't be dssappointed with either (or both) of these. Very high quality, very secure, and quick shipping from gpscity. If you every change gps receivers, you only have to replace the cradle not the entire mount.

"As far as which one you need? I'm assuming large one (1" to 1-1/4" diameter) for mountain bike handlebars and the "standard" for road bike handle bars. Or get the large one and add another layer of sheet rubber for more shock absorption if necessary?"

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that most road bikes and mountain bikes alike have the same diameter handlebars. Check with a bike shop to be sure. I bought the eTrex bike mount kit that has both the rail mount adapter (I think it's the smaller one) and the replacement back cover. I don't use the old blue Legend anymore, but the rail mount bracket that came with the kit has worked on my old road bike, my mountain bike, and my new hybrid.

This answers my question about the mount. The regular mount seems to be able to work on the mountain bikes then...

I just got the ram mount Geo Climber has under #1. I have it on my mountain bike. General rule is that mountain bikes have a 1 inch bar. But measure twice, order once. Today was my first commute using that unit. Seems pretty solid, and I like how it surrounds the GPS. The plastic seems durable, question is how will it hold up over time, seeing that the two plastic pieces on top have to be pulled apart to get the unit in and out. Ultimate test would be trying it on the trails. I put a little bit of rubber under the U clamp for extra security. I got it from mountguys, though it was more expensive than gpscity; mountguys are located closer to me and had much better customer reviews.