Deleting Basemap of Colorado 300

Delete [drive]:\Garmin\gmapbase.img -- it'll save you about 80-90MB .

GO$Rs

Will it even turn on without a "gmapbase.img" file present, I'm thinking "paper weight" time may be neigh.

Norm

Yep, I've tried it and the map screen just comes up white.

supposedly the colorado 300 has about 4 gigs of memory that i cannot harness. the topographic map itself is about 3.5 gigs.

Not the 300. A 400t has about 4G of memory. The 300 has about 350MB as mentioned above.

GO$Rs

I have a Colorado 300 and I feel the basemap of the the world is pretty useless to me right now. Is there any way I can remove the basemap from my Colorado and replace it with another map? Even if i could back it up that would be great!

Thanks!

The other folks have told you their solution, which works well, and is what is supported by Garmin. Now I can tell you that you can do what you desire. I have taken my Colorado 300 and deleted the internal basemap. Next I uploaded a 7 sate region of Topo maps from my Topo 2008 DVD onto my Colorado 300. Once those maps were there, I renamed them to be the same name as the original basemap file. Now, when I turn on my Colorado 300, I get the Topo 2008 view as if I had a Colorado 400t (for the states I uploaded the maps for that is). This configuration is not supported by Garmin, but it works quite nicely for me, and it allows the unit to startup a little more quickly since it doesn't need to load the maps from an SD card (which is slower than loading from internal memory).