List of verified hardware

dgreno

Is the Lowrance XOG capable of playing Where I Go.

Is there a way of making a program to run where I go cartridges on the XOG.

After running a mini non-event with local cachers at my Wherigo last night, a few of them wanted a rundown on the known working hardware platforms. I searched through the messages on the board and came up with this list.

Feel free to reply with anything else that works.

Asus MyPal A639

AT&T 8525 with Windows Mobile 6 and a Bluetooth GPSr (i.Trek M7)

Dell Axim X3(Windows 03) connected to an Etrex Summit

Dell Axim X51v Pocket PC and Pharos Pocket GPS-360

Dopod 818 pro with either Garmin 10x or GlobalSat BT-338

Eten x500+

Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox T830 a smartphone running WM5

Garmin Colorado

Garmin iQue M4

Garmin iQue M5

Garmin Oregon

HP iPAQ 110/111 Classic (624 MHz PXA310) with a DeLorme BT-20 GPS

HP iPAQ 2210 +GPS HI-303CF

HP iPAQ 2795b and a Blue Next 905GR

HP iPAQ 3870 with a Pretec Compact GPS Low Power CF Card

HP iPAQ 3955 with the compact flash GlobalSat BC-337

HP iPAQ 4150 (Windows Mobile 2003) using the Garmin Mobile 10 Bluetooth GPS

HP iPAQ 4700 with GlobalSat BT GPSr

HP iPAQ 6815 with BT-GPS

HP iPAQ rx5915

HP iPAQ rx5935

HTC Touch Cruise

HTC TyTN with Navicore BT Mouse

I-Mate JasJam with a Holux external Bluetooth GPS

I-Mate PDA-N

Medion pocket pc, running windows 5.1

Mio A201

Mio P350 PDA

Mitac Mio 168

Mobile Crossing Waypoint 200 with a BT-GPS

Palm Treo 700WX phone (Windows Mobile 5) with the same Garmin Mobile 10

Pharos GPS 525+ which is a Windows Mobile 5.1 Pocket PC platform and built-in GPSr

Pharos Traveler GPS 525+ has a built in GPS

Verizon XV6700 using a Delorme BT-20 GPS

Choosing the right hardware at an affordable price seems to be a major barrier to entry for new folks. I lucked out and got a Garmin iQue M5 for $100 on craigslist.

Dave

Loox N560 running WM 6.5. Doesn't work until I make wigconfig.config file and past it in install directory (stored in device; store on SD card isn't tested):

<configuration>
 <appSettings>
<add key="AutoDetectGps" value="False" />
<add key="BaudRate" value="9600" />
<add key="Units" value="Metric" />
<add key="CartDirectory" value="My Documents\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Cartridges" />
<add key="CommPort" value="COM8:" />
 </appSettings>
</configuration>

source

Loox N560 running WM 6.5. Doesn't work until I make wigconfig.config file...

It works, but really good. Bad text drawing on VGA screen, regardless if portrait or landscape. Icons (as GPS indicator or Home button) are drew in in upper-left conner of icon (like picture sized for 240x320 in space sized for 480x640). And last, but not least, issue is, that bottom line (distance and direction bar) is not enough visible - it is overlayed by system menu. I don't know if it is due to VGA resolution (which is my opinion) or 6.5 OS version.

If source code will be available, someone (or even I) can fix it.

:D Does not want to work on my Sonyericsson Xperia mobile phone running WM 6.1. The program opens, pauses for ages looking for the gps then crashes the phone. Have to remove battery or press the reset button to get device to work again.

Any Help would be appreciated.

I have exactly the same experience with my HTC Touch Diamond2 with WM6.1 on it. It installs just fine, but when I run it, it displays a message reading "Auto Detecting Gps" and that’s it. The reset button is the only help.

Edited by TheOnions

Wherigos a cheap start required?

As was stated the biggest barrier to Wherigo is buying new/other hardware. My Palm TX does not work with wherigos, and I recently blew my budget getting a Samsung NC10. So I cannot justify another spend for the 2 local wherigos.

I have not read much about emulators?

Netbooks are small enough to carry about for a Wherigo 2-3 hour game. I have a GPSr which I use bluetoothed with Memory Map on the netbook, so that combination works. I have downloaded the Pocket PC emulator and tried the test Wherigo but it does not recognise my 50m required movement (even after miles in the car).

Questions

Is this the wrong emulator to use ?

Does Wherigo recognise a bluetoothed signal or must it be hard wired ?

Do I need an Internet connection ?

OnHisBike

Aug 2009

i'd guess that you can't do it, because you have no way to hook the emulator to your real bluetooth.

what you might try is setting up a virtual com port for the gps, and see if that can be accessed from the emulator.

in other news, i have a pretty good idea about how to bring OpenWIG to netbooks. it just needs somebody to do the work ;e)

I am in the process of picking up a HTC Touch PRO™ through Sprint. Does anyone know if this unit has the ability to actually use the Wherigo player? I do know it comes with Windows Mobile 6.1.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Did you ever get Wherigo to work on the Touch Pro? Mine keeps locking up. I need to do a soft reset each time I try to bring up the app.

It is mentioned in a couple of posts that the Nuvi 500 works, is it just the 500 or any models above 500? Is there something to look for that the 500 has that say the 200 doesn't?

The nüvi 500 series (only; e.g. 500, 510, 550) can run Wherigo. They are "Geocaching-friendly": geocaches can be downloaded, and there is a built-in Wherigo player. I've done 3 Wherigo caches in my area and played the Wherigo Tutorial cartridge without any issues with the nüvi 550 (Software Version 3.40, Wherigo Engine 2.22).

I'm having a little trouble.

using a touch pro 2, windows mobile 6.5 .net 3.5

the Wherigo app opens and tells me it can't connect via bluetooth.

my bluetooth is turned off. the gps is internal to the phone.

other gps enabled softwares use it just fine.

so, unless I'm missing something, htc tp2, wm6.5 .net3.5 isn't a good platform for this.

-MB

Hi,

You are not missing something, I have exactly the same problem with my HTC TP2.

B)

//dasv

An error occurred trying to start the gps device. The serial mport could not be opened. Do you want to configure your gps device? -->yes --> Test GPS settings > the gps device did not respond in a timely manner with any data (I put Comm Port 3 and speed 4800, I know this but if I put auto detect GPS) the GPS only tell “testing gps settings”

:P Im trying to find someone whoes used a Garmin Oregon 550 Im haveing trouble I have nothing on mine how do I load this on to the hand set what part of the program can I get at to load the cad file???

If that is what i have to do???

I am a beginner to geocaching and the Wherigo part looks interesting also. I studied the list of devices that you have found, can any of these be used for paperless geocaching and could you recommend some pda's and or pocket pc's if thats the right term, that would do good job with paperless geocaching and maybe are not to hard to use or program and have the needed functions. thanks.

I am a beginner to geocaching and the Wherigo part looks interesting also. I studied the list of devices that you have found, can any of these be used for paperless geocaching and could you recommend some pda's and or pocket pc's if thats the right term, that would do good job with paperless geocaching and maybe are not to hard to use or program and have the needed functions. thanks.

When I had a Dell Axim PPC (a discontinued product), I used Beeline GPS and, at times, GPX Viewer. The "Geocaching Topics", "GPS and Technology", and "Getting Started" forums would be a better place to search for and ask about paperless caching since this forum is supposed to stick to talking about Wherigo.

Some links for you to look through:

BeelineGPS

GPX Viewer

Pocket PC Geocaching Tools

Welcome to the world of Wherigo and geocaching! Now, get out there and have some fun! You can't stop at just one! If you do, you'll make a Lackey cry! We wouldn't want that, now, would we?

Edited by Ranger Fox

Does anyone know if Wherigo works with the blackberry series, specifically the Blackberry Bold 9700.

The "OpenWIG" player should work on your Blackberry Download here, but it has some limitations. Not all cartridges work on it, list of verified ones here but most of those show in Europe. I'll be testing mine out and adding them to that list, and noting that on the cache & cartridge pages.

On m,y Blackberry, 8530 Curve, to get the distance to next zone to update, I had to move, then stop and wait for it to recalculate.

When I had a Dell Axim PPC (a discontinued product), I used Beeline GPS and, at times, GPX Viewer. The "Geocaching Topics", "GPS and Technology", and "Getting Started" forums would be a better place to search for and ask about paperless caching since this forum is supposed to stick to talking about Wherigo.

Some links for you to look through:

BeelineGPS

GPX Viewer

Pocket PC Geocaching Tools

Welcome to the world of Wherigo and geocaching! Now, get out there and have some fun! You can't stop at just one! If you do, you'll make a Lackey cry! We wouldn't want that, now, would we?

The Garmin Colorado and Oregon units are paperless caching ready.

I have a Dell Axim X30 and an activepilot blutooth gps. The combination work fine with memorymap, bealine,vitio etc but dosen't show satelite info, only position.

Trying to run Wherigo I have the problem that although the gps is detected, the detction symbol stays red and obviosly the tutorial cartridge fails at wearing the spacesuit. Does anyone have any suggestions.

:) I now have the Falk activepilot bluetooth gps talking happily to Wherigo on my Dell Axim x30 PDA.

After 'killing the activepilot' by using sofware designed to turn off static navigation by apparently switching to sirf mode and back to nmea, I had to let the battery go flat to reset the gps. After a short charge I found that SirfTech would talk to it and I attempted to do some resetting of paramaters. Reseting to nmea killed the thing again, I had changed the baud rate which I should'nt have done.

After another hour discharging the battery, I used SirfTech again, with no alterations by myself, just switch to sirf mode and back again.

Using the gps with Beeline gps now showed the satelites and HDOP etc and using it with Wherigo now shows a full set of green for gps detection.

So Verified hardware :- Dell Axim X30 and Falk active pilot gps after modification to its output using SirfTech

Does anyone know if Wherigo works with the Droid phone? I need to find a Wherigo to complete the Georgia State Parks Challange.

Once I figured out where/how to save the cartridge, it seems to be working on my Samsung Moment Droid phone. I had to connect my phone to the laptop and save to the app's folder - it didn't work downloading from the web on the phone since it didn't save to the right place (app's folder), just the generic download folder. If anyone has a hint on how to specialize the downloading location, please let me know! The app I'm using is called WhereYouGo. I also run GeoBeagle, which I especially like for the maps. I'm going to try for one or both of the Wherigo caches close to San Diego this weekend...

Does anyone know if Wherigo works with the Droid phone? I need to find a Wherigo to complete the Georgia State Parks Challange.

Once I figured out where/how to save the cartridge, it seems to be working on my Samsung Moment Droid phone. I had to connect my phone to the laptop and save to the app's folder - it didn't work downloading from the web on the phone since it didn't save to the right place (app's folder), just the generic download folder. If anyone has a hint on how to specialize the downloading location, please let me know! The app I'm using is called WhereYouGo. I also run GeoBeagle, which I especially like for the maps. I'm going to try for one or both of the Wherigo caches close to San Diego this weekend...

That was what I was missing....once I got the cartridge in the right folder it worked just find on my Motorola Android. Thanks!!

First one completed, but the saved files aren't .GWS...and the others aren't compatible (OWS & GWL), even if I rename the file extension. Guess I learned my lesson to write down the unlock code, too!

Does it work with any of the eTrex's?

AFAIK it does not. Only with Oregons. :)

Also, I just installed the Windows Mobile app to my HTC Touch Diamond. It installs fine, but fails to start. It will lock up with "Auto Detecting Gps..." and will make the phone pretty much unresponsive. With a bit of luck you can still fire up the task manager to kill it. Sad, considering how long it's been in development... :)

Also doesn't seem to work with the Verizon Imagio (WinPro 6.5 PocketPC) Starts fine, but then freezes when telling me to select a bluetooth serial port for GPS. Have to pull the battery to get out. Tried installing to both main memory and card with same results. Odd, since I have almost 10 other programs that use the GPS fine.

Also doesn't seem to work with the Verizon Imagio (WinPro 6.5 PocketPC) Starts fine, but then freezes when telling me to select a bluetooth serial port for GPS. Have to pull the battery to get out. Tried installing to both main memory and card with same results. Odd, since I have almost 10 other programs that use the GPS fine.

8/11: OK, I found the answer to my problem in the Wherigo hardware forum thread for HTC devices here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=205157

Seems to work so far.

I have gotten the PPC player to run on the Garmin iQue M3.

Make sure you use the .NET 2.0 package, NOT the .NET 3.5 package.

The 3.5 package will cause the player to lock up (and freeze the iQue) when it tries to display an image.

I have run through the tutorial from the Wherigo site and one other local one that refused to run before I downgraded to .NET 2.0.

I have not confirmed all functions, but will report any problems if I find them.

I have gotten the PPC player to run on the Garmin iQue M3.

Make sure you use the .NET 2.0 package, NOT the .NET 3.5 package.

The 3.5 package will cause the player to lock up (and freeze the iQue) when it tries to display an image.

I have run through the tutorial from the Wherigo site and one other local one that refused to run before I downgraded to .NET 2.0.

I have not confirmed all functions, but will report any problems if I find them.

I have now done 5 separate Wherigo cartridges and have had no problems with any functions.

The iQue M3 appears to operate identically to the M4 and M5.

Incidentally, I got the M3 off eBay for $51 plus shipping. Likely the least expensive way to run Wherigo (if you don't already have it on your phone...)

Edited by The Macho Homemaker

Not familiar with the phone but if it is running WM6 Pro --

checkout the info above for the palm 800w and see if you have the config file located where it should be and if so how it is configured.

Check your phone for the GPS manager and see if it is not pointed to the GPD1 port (or something else) and try pointing the config file port to the same port. If you cant find the speed of your GPS then you may have to play with that. I do recommend that you sync your phone before you try anything in case it locks up and turns into a brick. Mine locked up (different phone) and had to hard boot it and reload everything. Just know how to do that before you start so if it happens you dont have a heart attack. (It can be fixed!)

My HTC Touch HD jammed when searching for the GPS. I tried several COM ports, but each time it jams and I have to reboot my phone. :)

However, when I use the GPD1 port it does start up, but I can't select this port (only COM ports are available in the Wherigo player). B)

So I think the HTC Touch HD is not capable of running the Wherigo player. Or maybe it is Windows Mobile 6 that cannot run the Wherigo player.

Two Q&As for Windows Mobile Users:

• Q: What do I do if the Wherigo Player starts and tries to detect the GPS but the device seems to hang?
    A: Open the file '\Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player\wigconfig.config' on your device and make sure the option 'AutoDetectGps' is set to False (already posted by peca_007, but I think it worth mentioning again!):
    <configuration>
     <appSettings>
    <add key="AutoDetectGps" value="False" />
    <add key="BaudRate" value="9600" />
    <add key="Units" value="Metric" />
    <add key="CartDirectory" value="My Documents\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Cartridges" />
    <add key="CommPort" value="COM4:" />
     </appSettings>
    </configuration>

Now you can safely start the player and configure your GPS in the settings.

• Q: All text and graphics are cropped or very small, hardly readable!
    A: The player was written for QVGA devices (320x240) but you most likely have a VGA (640x480) or WVGA (800x480) device.
    The problem is that QVGA devices run with 96 DPI whereas VGA runs with 192 DPI.
    RealVGA can be used to change these settings. Using 128 DPI on a (W)VGA device already makes the Wherigo Player showing everything :ph34r:

Both steps were required for my Touch Pro 2 running Windows Mobile 6.5.3 before I could start using the Wherigo Player properly :wub:

Edited by paphko

I will be up for my cell contract renewal in a few months and I want to scope out which would be the best smartphone to buy to play Wherigo. I use an etrex venture hc handheld and right now have a blackberry. I have to use verizon because of where I live...very few choices, and vz has the best coverage here.

Any thoughts? I will admit to being thoroughly confused by all the technical stuff here. I'm ok with that sort of thing if I can/have to physically work through the steps, but just looking at it makes my head hurt, lol.

Thanks in advance for any input. :-)

mm72

edited because I had a blonde moment

Edited by madmomma72

Just doing a bit of looking around again to see if iPhone is supported now, and found a local cache listing recommended software for supported devices, including iphone.

So to answer your question madmomma, here's the list they supplied:

Garmin Colorado, Oregon units,

Smartphones:

PocketPC/Windows Mobile (Official Player),

Android (WhereYouGo),

Blackberry/J2ME (OpenWiG)

and iPhone (PiGo)

Does that help you out a bit about smartphones? As for which smartphone is better? *shrug* personal preference. I'll stand by iPhone though, and I'll be playing around with PiGo this weekend, excitedly :D

Closest I could find to a thread with questions on what tech supports Wherigo is this. If there is a thread for requesting it for other devices, my apologies for missing it.

I got a PDA second hand from a friend a few years ago, so it's now several years ancient and cannot support Wherigo. I recently got a Magellan eXplorist GC, and wiped out my funds to feed this addiction. I love the idea of Wherigo and would really like to do some, but have no means of playing the cartridges. Will the devs add to the available platforms sometime in the (hopefully near) future?