List of verified hardware

dgreno

Unfortunately I found this additional game for geocaching is NOT working on my IPhone. So, this means I will not be able to get all of the 7 souvenirs of August :-(

You know, instead of moping about it, you can describe your problem and ask for help. I have both an iPhone and an Android device. Now, if you have an iPhone 3G--as I once had--I can see how it might not work on yours. It got so whenever I used an app that made use of the GPS, the phone would brick itself for something like five minutes if I did anything else. That was crazy. I remember bringing up the geocaching app and using the GPS just as the phone received a call. It wouldn't do anything or respond for a while. But this was several years ago; I currently have a 5S.

Anyway, welcome to this forum, be nice, and please consider asking for help instead of complaining. There are several capable people on this forum who do like to help--the app developers also participate in discussions. The only thing we can do to help you at this point is to start guessing which iPhone model you have, iOS version, and whether you mean the app itself has a problem or a specific cartridge you tried downloading and playing--or perhaps you might not be familiar with downloading a cartridge via the app. You're leaving us very little to go on. Venting your frustration is fine and healthy, but venting alone won't do anything to solve the root cause.

So, do you want that souvenir bad enough to let us help you?

Hello Ranger Fox,

I did not mean to complain about the fact I just can not play the Wherigo game on my iPhone 4S with IOS 7.1.2. In the 7S of August I found the Wherigo game and an app for my iPhone, but I found also that downloading a cartridge is possible on windows based devices. In a list of devices I could not find the iPhone so I had no reason to ask for help to play the game.

But your reply will give me some hope.

I've downloaded the Wherigo app. Opening it, it comes up with a screen with "Download Wherigo cartridges!" Clicking on the button in the upper left of the screen, it opens the website www.Wherigo.com in the app. I choose "set location" first and as a result of that I get a list of Wherigo caches in the neighborhood. Clicking on one of these, it opens the Wherigo cache and there is the button for downloading. And there I got stuck, because I have to choose the device, missing the iPhone.

Am I doing this the right way? Is there another way to use the iPhone for Wherigo caches?

Thanks for your help anyway.

You're on the right path, Maja&Max. You're very close.

The device list you see is an old list. Groundspeak hasn't updated that since the Oregon first came out years and years ago. The device list is there because some devices have different capabilities than others and the cartridge needs to be built differently. For example, Garmin players can only make beeps and the iPhone can play full audio. It's possible to create a cartridge that has a sound file available for both devices; the Wherigo compiler (that runs when you download a cartridge) will choose which file to include based on the player device you choose. While you don't absolutely need to know this information to play Wherigo, I think it's helpful to know why you're asked about your device.

So, which device should you choose? The Pocket PC platform is similar to the iPhone in that both don't have any restrictions on what can be run. Please choose that.

When you choose a device from that list, the iPhone app will intercept the download and you'll find yourself back at the cartridge list page, this time with your cartridge displayed. You can then tap on the cartridge and it will start.

I do have a tip for you; it's one I have found helpful. If you do any type of search for a cartridge and you know you want to download more, copy the search results page's URL. Every time you tell the iPhone app you want to download a cartridge, it takes you to the Wherigo site's home page. You can paste the URL into the browser again and be right back on the search page instead of having to click around and enter your search criteria again. Pasting the URL saves you a bunch of time if you're trying to download a lot of cartridges at the same time.

(By the way, there's a lot to complain about with regard to Wherigo. The community's effort to keep it going, thankfully, is not one of them!)

I can't download a Wherigo cartridge to my Samsung Galaxy 4 phone. The whereyougo app downloads. The Microsoft ActiveSync program no longer seems to be available which is needed to sync.. Has anyone done this? I have no trouble downloading a Wherigo to my iPad. Many thanks for help! I have spend untold hours attempting to do this! I have a Mac and also a Windows 8 computer.

Edited by LasVegasBones

OK, thans a lot Ranger Fox, this helps a lot! I've done a training Wherigo first successfully and after that my first real Wherigo! This is really fun to do! I can recommend this part of geocaching to everyone and I am sure the 7 souvenirs of August will help to find more geocachers really enthusiastic for this part of the game!

OK, thans a lot Ranger Fox, this helps a lot! I've done a training Wherigo first successfully and after that my first real Wherigo! This is really fun to do! I can recommend this part of geocaching to everyone and I am sure the 7 souvenirs of August will help to find more geocachers really enthusiastic for this part of the game!

I'm quite pleased we went from something like "I'll never be able to get this to work" to "this is really fun and I'll recommend it" in only two days.

Just remember that if you have any other issues or would like to know something, please turn to the Wherigo community here. This is a wonderful section of the forum and I'm (a little too) proud to moderate it.

I can't download a Wherigo cartridge to my Samsung Galaxy 4 phone. The whereyougo app downloads. The Microsoft ActiveSync program no longer seems to be available which is needed to sync.. Has anyone done this? I have no trouble downloading a Wherigo to my iPad. Many thanks for help! I have spend untold hours attempting to do this! I have a Mac and also a Windows 8 computer.

Okay, that's an Android phone. Different way to download. Here's one way (and more). I can't find a link, but another way is to install either Chrome or Firefox, browse to the Wherigo site, download the cartridge onto the phone, and use a file manager app to move the cartridge file from wherever it was downloaded to the WhereYouGo folder.

By the way, you might want to check out WF.Player. Supposing we can get the Wherigo Foundation site acting as the main Wherigo listing service, we can continue developing the Wherigo Foundation players, thereby fixing all these download issues. You could search for and download cartridges from within the app or you could use the web site and add the cartridges to a download queue, which the app will then read from and download the cartridges automatically. I have the site and API already done. I'm just waiting on Groundspeak for them to make it official and let me load all existing cartridges onto the site.

I'm interested in exploring the Wherigo, but don't want to sink a lot of money in a device yet. Several times the Garmin iQue M5 Integrated Pocket PC and GPS has been listed. I found one for $30. Is this device still acceptable?

Completed my first iPhone based Wherigo (using the Wherigo app) and worked mostly fine, just a couple of hiccoughs but nothing terminal. For those having trouble getting cartridges to load on their iphones, I use my desktop machine to save the cartridges to a Dropbox folder (HEAPS easier to search for what you want this way), sync, locate the file in Dropbox on my phone, and then select "Open With" from the list and pick Wherigo. Loads beautifully. I'm hoping that because there are apps readily available now this will keep the Wherigo concept alive. Off to learn how to build my first cartridge!

I'm looking to start doing some Wherigo caches but not sure what I need. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and have downloaded the WhereYouGo app. I understand I have to download cartridges to work through but after browsing to the geocaching.com website, finding the GC number and hitting download the mission I'm taken to the Wherigo website. I assume I chose the device as Pocket PC Device ?

It downloads to my phone but when I open Wheryougo and hit start it says No Wherigo cartridge is available.

I have a Moto 3G smart phone, which I got in January 2016. I loaded the WhereYouGo app from the play store and did 6 Wherigo geocaches in March and April, 2016.

In May, and again in June, I loaded Wherigo cartridges the same way, but now when I open WhereYouGo app and click start, it says,

"No Wherigo cartridge available. Add cartridge file (*gwc) into /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/menion.android.whereyougo/files/directory

and start WhereYouGo again"

When I connect the phone to the PC and look on Windows Explorer, I see the gwc file is in the WhereYouGo file. By looking on the PC nor on the phone can I find the file name listed above.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, tried with my husband's Moto2G phone, used different browsers for downloading the gwc file. All come up with the same result.

I have found a file with emulated/Android/data/menion.android.whereyougo/files. Tried moving the cartridge there. The gwc file shows up under that directory, but I still get the same message when I try to start it.

Any ideas on how to make it work?

Does the Wherigo work on the Oregon 600 or 650?

Based on this post, the 6XX series Oregons never supported Wherigo. I wouldn't use the compatibility with Wherigo as a selling point for any Garmin, as the Garmin player is dead and is no longer being updated.

If you are looking for something to play Wherigo cartridges on, I would look at purchasing an older Android smart phone, if you don't already own a smart phone. Just verify it has GPS and the OS version is still compatible with Whereyougo. I bought a Sony Xperia SP for $50 and that's been one of my best purchases, second only to my eTrex GPS.

Edited by Pine and Poplar

We have only recently been able to play Wherigo games, after obtaining an ipad air 2. This works really well but I am still wondering why I could never get our Android Smartphone, a Telstra Rush ZTE T792, to run the Wherigo cartridges. Had no trouble downloading the Whereyougo app, and even had it running using offline OSM maps, but I could never get the cartridges (Pocket PC versions) to run on it.

The .gwc cartridges were correctly loaded into the "Whereyougo" directory on the microSD card, but when the app went to load the cartridge it would reject it with error message "invalid cartridge" displayed. The name of the cartridge was also displayed as part of the error message, so I know the app was looking at the correct cartridge in the correct location. Mucked around with it for several months and then just gave up. Any ideas ?

On 1/10/2017 at 3:09 PM, vk2df said:

The .gwc cartridges were correctly loaded into the "Whereyougo" directory on the microSD card, but when the app went to load the cartridge it would reject it with error message "invalid cartridge" displayed.  Any ideas ?

I was told that the WhereYouGo will not read the file on the SD cards. Try moving it to your phone Internal Storage (and change your WhereYouGo Default to that Folder) and see if that works.

3 hours ago, amber1997 said:

Hi Everyone. I have a GPS Garmin 64S, and an old ipad 4th generation model A1458. I jave been out with my ipad, and am getting absolutely nowhere. Is it my ipad that is too old. I don't have a pocket pc sadly. Thanks in advance.

I have that exact same model of iPad!  It's wifi-only, which means it has no GPS chip, just a compass.  The iPad will do a little mojo with the location based on wifi signals, but at best will be a few hundred feet off of the exact coordinates.  I don't use mine for live navigation.  I have two GPS devices for it, one that plugs into the lightning connector, and one that's Bluetooth.  They kind of work.  Whether you can still find such hardware and its software, I don't know.  Because, yeah, this iPad is too old. B)

Can you borrow a modern data-connected smartphone? Or team up with someone who has one?

5 hours ago, amber1997 said:

Hi Everyone. I have a GPS Garmin 64S, and an old ipad 4th generation model A1458. I jave been out with my ipad, and am getting absolutely nowhere. Is it my ipad that is too old. I don't have a pocket pc sadly. Thanks in advance.

You've found a good amount of caches recently, guess you're using the 64s.   Should last you a few years.   :)

My other 2/3rd's  a1458 doesn't have a built-in gps or compass sensor,  so curious what you were looking at.   Thanks.

I had a Garmin Oregon with the Wherigo app on it. Unfortunately, it seems that I have lost my Garmin  I am now using my iPhone XR for geocaching. Is there a way to find a Wherigo app for it? When I check the App Store, it says it is not available in my area ( Canada). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks 

5 hours ago, Grandmagogo said:

I had a Garmin Oregon with the Wherigo app on it. Unfortunately, it seems that I have lost my Garmin  I am now using my iPhone XR for geocaching. Is there a way to find a Wherigo app for it? When I check the App Store, it says it is not available in my area ( Canada). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks 

I’m afraid you might need to wait...