List of verified hardware

dgreno

Smartphones:

PocketPC/Windows Mobile (Official Player),

Android (WhereYouGo),

Blackberry/J2ME (OpenWiG)

and iPhone (PiGo)

Interesting. Half of the smartphones sold in the next 12 months will be able to run Wherigo. (Unfortunately, the other half, sold by Nokia running Symbian, won't.)

Well now. Nokia has dropped Symbian. Can the official player be made compatible with Windows Phone 7? If so, Wherigo's availability just jumped to almost every Smartphone out there (sorry, BlackBerry fans).

Incidentally, comment #65 on the second of those links is pure genius, comparing the Nokia-Microsoft pact to the Molotov-von Ribbentrop pact of 1939. :D

I wasn't able to find anything to confirm this or not but:

I have an Axim X5 running Pocket PC 2003 or 2002? I can't tell for sure.

If I were able to upgrade, which I believe is possible according to things I've found on ebay, and purchased a external GPS such as the Pharos 360, should I be able to run the Wherigo application?

we did our first Wherigo with the iphone 4 running the free App "PiGo".

It worked well, it only did not show some icons or pics right. There was sometimes a blue"?" instead of a pic or someting else.

In a Caching-Duration of 2 h the iPhone lost about 40% Batterie-Power. I think thats not too bad.

After running a mini non-event with local cachers at my Wherigo last night, a few of them wanted a rundown on the known working hardware platforms. I searched through the messages on the board and came up with this list.

Feel free to reply with anything else that works.

Asus MyPal A639

AT&T 8525 with Windows Mobile 6 and a Bluetooth GPSr (i.Trek M7)

Dell Axim X3(Windows 03) connected to an Etrex Summit

Dell Axim X51v Pocket PC and Pharos Pocket GPS-360

Dopod 818 pro with either Garmin 10x or GlobalSat BT-338

Eten x500+

Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox T830 a smartphone running WM5

Garmin Colorado

Garmin iQue M4

Garmin iQue M5

Garmin Oregon

HP iPAQ 110/111 Classic (624 MHz PXA310) with a DeLorme BT-20 GPS

HP iPAQ 2210 +GPS HI-303CF

HP iPAQ 2795b and a Blue Next 905GR

HP iPAQ 3870 with a Pretec Compact GPS Low Power CF Card

HP iPAQ 3955 with the compact flash GlobalSat BC-337

HP iPAQ 4150 (Windows Mobile 2003) using the Garmin Mobile 10 Bluetooth GPS

HP iPAQ 4700 with GlobalSat BT GPSr

HP iPAQ 6815 with BT-GPS

HP iPAQ rx5915

HP iPAQ rx5935

HTC Touch Cruise

HTC TyTN with Navicore BT Mouse

I-Mate JasJam with a Holux external Bluetooth GPS

I-Mate PDA-N

Medion pocket pc, running windows 5.1

Mio A201

Mio P350 PDA

Mitac Mio 168

Mobile Crossing Waypoint 200 with a BT-GPS

Palm Treo 700WX phone (Windows Mobile 5) with the same Garmin Mobile 10

Pharos GPS 525+ which is a Windows Mobile 5.1 Pocket PC platform and built-in GPSr

Pharos Traveler GPS 525+ has a built in GPS

Verizon XV6700 using a Delorme BT-20 GPS

Choosing the right hardware at an affordable price seems to be a major barrier to entry for new folks. I lucked out and got a Garmin iQue M5 for $100 on craigslist.

Dave

:D Does not want to work on my Sonyericsson Xperia mobile phone running WM 6.1. The program opens, pauses for ages looking for the gps then crashes the phone. Have to remove battery or press the reset button to get device to work again.

Any Help would be appreciated.

I have exactly the same experience with my HTC Touch Diamond2 with WM6.1 on it. It installs just fine, but when I run it, it displays a message reading "Auto Detecting Gps" and that’s it. The reset button is the only help.

Sorry to say, I can verify that om my HTC Touch Diamond 2 also...

Of great concern to me is that the new Garmin Montana will NOT support Wherigo (according to Garmin's online features list). What does this mean for the future of Wherigo? Not good, I think. I know we will all be able to play cartridges on our various smartphones, but to me, having a Wherigo player built into the Colorado (and then the Oregon) is what really raised my awareness and made it something that I wanted to get into.

What are your thoughts?

Having the Garmin GPS receivers equipped with Wherigo undoubtedly contributed to Wherigo's early popularity. However, the Player kept getting buggier and buggier, or else resource allocation kept getting skimpier. All this contributed to a less than stable Player, as sometimes you can finish a cartridge, other times it'll crash on the more recent Oregon models. The final key problem for Garmin's Player was update deployment. Had Wherigo added to its feature set early on, it is unknown whether Garmin would have released an update--especially after discontinuing the Colorado. Garmin certainly didn't do anything for some of bugs the community found early on, so my view of this situation is grim. (FYI: Garmin wrote their own Wherigo Player for their GPS receivers as their GPSr platform is proprietary; Groundspeak could only provide the specs.)

I'm very happy some members of the community have created Players and Builders (though we're just talking about the Players in this post). This has allowed Wherigo to continue living, expand, and, soon, flourish. With the addition of the Wherigo API later this year (there's an extremely good chance Wherigo development will resume this year), a connected Player application will be a boon to players. If Wherigo continues developing in the direction I foresee, a Player with an Internet connection could very well become required for several really cool key features (all third-party Player and Builder developers will not be forgotten). Because of this, the difficulty rolling out updates, and the skimpy resources available to the device, a Garmin GPSr will not be an appropriate place for Wherigo, but would instead impede growth and progress. I am, of course, thankful Garmin chose to include a Wherigo Player on its receivers, so don't get me wrong. (My main Wherigo Player at the moment is a Colorado, though I do use PiGo at the same time.) I would like to go so far as to allow events in one cartridge to affect everyone who is currently playing (or just those in a group).

We'll see how far we can take it. Time and the cooperation of the third-party developers will be vital.

These are my thoughts on the matter, with some optimistic hopes mixed in. This is not an official statement from Groundspeak, nor their thoughts on the matter. I, personally, think this would be a great future to shoot for.

After running a mini non-event with local cachers at my Wherigo last night, a few of them wanted a rundown on the known working hardware platforms. I searched through the messages on the board and came up with this list.

Feel free to reply with anything else that works.

Asus MyPal A639

AT&T 8525 with Windows Mobile 6 and a Bluetooth GPSr (i.Trek M7)

Dell Axim X3(Windows 03) connected to an Etrex Summit

Dell Axim X51v Pocket PC and Pharos Pocket GPS-360

Dopod 818 pro with either Garmin 10x or GlobalSat BT-338

Eten x500+

Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox T830 a smartphone running WM5

Garmin Colorado

Garmin iQue M4

Garmin iQue M5

Garmin Oregon

HP iPAQ 110/111 Classic (624 MHz PXA310) with a DeLorme BT-20 GPS

HP iPAQ 2210 +GPS HI-303CF

HP iPAQ 2795b and a Blue Next 905GR

HP iPAQ 3870 with a Pretec Compact GPS Low Power CF Card

HP iPAQ 3955 with the compact flash GlobalSat BC-337

HP iPAQ 4150 (Windows Mobile 2003) using the Garmin Mobile 10 Bluetooth GPS

HP iPAQ 4700 with GlobalSat BT GPSr

HP iPAQ 6815 with BT-GPS

HP iPAQ rx5915

HP iPAQ rx5935

HTC Touch Cruise

HTC TyTN with Navicore BT Mouse

I-Mate JasJam with a Holux external Bluetooth GPS

I-Mate PDA-N

Medion pocket pc, running windows 5.1

Mio A201

Mio P350 PDA

Mitac Mio 168

Mobile Crossing Waypoint 200 with a BT-GPS

Palm Treo 700WX phone (Windows Mobile 5) with the same Garmin Mobile 10

Pharos GPS 525+ which is a Windows Mobile 5.1 Pocket PC platform and built-in GPSr

Pharos Traveler GPS 525+ has a built in GPS

Verizon XV6700 using a Delorme BT-20 GPS

Choosing the right hardware at an affordable price seems to be a major barrier to entry for new folks. I lucked out and got a Garmin iQue M5 for $100 on craigslist.

Dave

So a Garmin dakota 20 won't work?

Mariëlle

Does anyone know if Magellan Explorist GCs work?
To my knowledge, the Explorist GC, unfortunately, does not support playing Wherigo. I suppose if Magellan receives enough demand, they might look into it. From what I keep hearing, Groundspeak seems willing to share. The only concern, though, is how to move Wherigo Player updates to the device--especially when it is close to the end of its product lifecycle.
To my knowledge, the Explorist GC, unfortunately, does not support playing Wherigo. I suppose if Magellan receives enough demand, they might look into it. From what I keep hearing, Groundspeak seems willing to share. The only concern, though, is how to move Wherigo Player updates to the device--especially when it is close to the end of its product lifecycle.

This guy is in the process of building a Player for Explorist 510/610/710 models. I don't know if this is likely to be of assistance to the questioner.

I've never played Wherigo, I've been just a 'plain' 'cacher, but I got the app on both my iPad2 (WiFi-only) and my iPhone 3G (also WiFi-only at the moment; no phone service). It seems that the closest ones are 50+ miles away, mostly in the Phoenix area. I'm about 99 miles NNW of there and about 85 miles SSW of Flagstaff. Since I've never played, I don't really know how to create one, otherwise, I'd do that in this area (known locally as "Ravenland Geo-Amusement Park" - LOL) so others here also do Wherigo's.

If I have the apps on the iPhone/iPad AND on my GPSr (Garmin GPSMap 60CSx), would the 2 or 3 of them combined allow me to play?

Mike B.

AeroMechAZ

Edited by AeroMechAZ

I've never played Wherigo, I've been just a 'plain' 'cacher, but I got the app on both my iPad2 (WiFi-only) and my iPhone 3G (also WiFi-only at the moment; no phone service). It seems that the closest ones are 50+ miles away, mostly in the Phoenix area. I'm about 99 miles NNW of there and about 85 miles SSW of Flagstaff. Since I've never played, I don't really know how to create one, otherwise, I'd do that in this area (known locally as "Ravenland Geo-Amusement Park" - LOL) so others here also do Wherigo's.

If I have the apps on the iPhone/iPad AND on my GPSr (Garmin GPSMap 60CSx), would the 2 or 3 of them combined allow me to play?

Mike B.

AeroMechAZ

The GPS on the 3G is not a good one to be able to pinpoint your location which is needed for Wherigo. I am not sure if "phone service" is required for Wherigo, for the maps" or not. I have heard that Ipods can do them if they get the "GPS adaptor", so maybe the "phone service" is not needed for playing. Like I said, the GPS on the 3G is not sufficient.

Have you tried playing any of the "play anywhere" type of Wherigos on the iPad? This might help you get a feel for how they function. Not sure if iPad have a GPS chip in them or not.

I have heard there is a way to make the 60CSX work with a laptop in the woods, I cannot speak to how it was all "wired up".

First time reading this forum group. But I have a couple of things to comment on.

At the MOGA Mega event this past spring, Garmin had a number of representatives on hand, and I talked to some of them at the Meet and Greet on Friday evening. I asked about why they had removed Wherigo from the newer GPSr models, in particular the Montana which I had just gotten. They told me that there were problems with the Wherigo product as supplied by GC and GC wasn't willing to fix it. SO Garmin decided to quit supporting the product and use the space for other things. I saw above that someone stated that Garmin maid their own player. That I can't speak to. I would somewhat expect that's true, as it would have to work with their software, so be unlikely to be able to accept any generic code directly. It would be more likely that Garmin got specs on the files that would be supplied, and wrote to support it. Unless I try to develop my own version, I'm unlikely to find out whether there are really issues with the way cartridges are created.

All that said, I loaded a cartridge to my HTC EVO 4G LTE last night, and did the quest today. I had a small problem in deciding which version to pull from the site. The site lists for specific machines, none of which match my phone. I used the Oregon cartridge, and it worked fine, but I think there were supposed to be audio components, which never played. So, I'm guessing maybe it should have been the Pocket PC. IT would be nice if a more descriptive name was used on the cartridges, or some description of what the differences are.

Jerry

You may also add the CASIO COMMANDO Smartphone to the list.

To get it to work on the phone, I had to download from Google Play the Whereyougo app, then from the Wherigo site, had to download the cartridge on the PC directly to the main Whereyougo folder on the phone. Originally tried to download directly from the phone to the phone, didnt work.

So far I have only done http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=4b3fa42a-26af-4120-97ce-4333dd34db04. I chose the pocket PC device for downloading it.

Interested to see if anymore will work. I imagine that if I got one to work, most should also.

Hi there! I currently installied the Wherigo App. on my i phone. As it was available at the App Store i thought it is running automatically on my smartphone, but nothing happens after downloading of any cartridge! Can anybody tell me if there is a chance to get running on my i Phone?

Hi there! I currently installied the Wherigo App. on my i phone. As it was available at the App Store i thought it is running automatically on my smartphone, but nothing happens after downloading of any cartridge! Can anybody tell me if there is a chance to get running on my i Phone?

After you download a cartridge, it should appear in a list on the main screen. You should then be able to select the cartridge from the list and play it. Can you be more specific on the "nothing happens" part, please?

After you download a cartridge, it should appear in a list on the main screen. You should then be able to select the cartridge from the list and play it. Can you be more specific on the "nothing happens" part, please?

We downloaded the app on our Iphone too. It's a night mare to search and find a specific cartridge. In addition we tried to use the link from the cache of this specificic cartridge. We found the cartridge, however could not download it, because the app asked us to sign in. Which is not possible from the linked page. On the other hand if you start the Wherigo app directly and sign in, we can not find this specific cartridge.

What's wrong?

We downloaded the app on our Iphone too. It's a night mare to search and find a specific cartridge. In addition we tried to use the link from the cache of this specificic cartridge. We found the cartridge, however could not download it, because the app asked us to sign in. Which is not possible from the linked page. On the other hand if you start the Wherigo app directly and sign in, we can not find this specific cartridge.

What's wrong?

I'm assuming you viewed the cartridge information in Safari or could get to it in that browser. What I usually do when I'm in that situation is copy the URL from Safari and paste it into the Wherigo app's location bar. This takes me to the same page. From there, I can log in and download the cartridge.

I recently discovered I could run Wherigo cartridges with my Android phone using the Whereyougo ap. I also have run a cartridge that I downloaded onto my Nexus 7 tablet(Android 4.2.1--Wifi only). It ran nicely on the tablet without internet connection except the maps didn't show unless I had it tethered to my smartphone or was able to get into a Wifi zone. For the WIG I was running, this wasn't a big issue. In order to download the cartridge to the tablet...I still had to put it on my PC first...although I was told that newer Android devices would allow a direct transfer. I want to set up a simple WIG for my area (Charleston, SC) so may be coming back here for assistance :rolleyes::laughing::rolleyes:

Yesterday we played our first successful Wherigo cartridge using Samsung Galaxy Tab-2 10.1 and the app "WhereYou Go". Worked well, and we just had to be patient a few times as the GPS accuracy was between 8 and we16m at times under the overcast sky and tree cover. Initially we had to set the overcastGPS on to get the on "Navigation mode" to function correctly .

Please update the list to say that the newer Garmin Oregons (ie, 600+ series) no longer support Wherigo caches. I probably would have purchased a slightly older model recently had I known this tidbit of info. It doesn't seem to be well publicized, IMO.

I am trying to download the cartridge "The Cacher Integrity Test" to do the Wherigo caches of the Thunderbird geoart in the Boise desert. This is my first time using Wherigo. I did the tutorial that plays anywhere and it worked fine (on my Oregon 450). But I'm having trouble downloading the Integrity Test cartridge to a file that the Where You Go app on my android phone will "see" it. I have an LG-P769 and downloaded the app WhereYouGo just fine. I can't figure out where to save the cartridge so the app will see it. Thanks for any help!

Edited by TeamRoadrunner

Some other threads might help you. Try this or this.

Alternatively, you'll need a file manager app on your device. Go into WhereYouGo and find in its settings where it's looking for cartridges. After downloading a cartridge via your device's browser, go into the file manager app and move that file into the folder WhereYouGo is monitoring. Now that I have an Android tablet, perhaps I could post a quick tutorial.

You may also add the CASIO COMMANDO Smartphone to the list.

To get it to work on the phone, I had to download from Google Play the Whereyougo app, then from the Wherigo site, had to download the cartridge on the PC directly to the main Whereyougo folder on the phone. Originally tried to download directly from the phone to the phone, didnt work.

So far I have only done http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=4b3fa42a-26af-4120-97ce-4333dd34db04. I chose the pocket PC device for downloading it.

Interested to see if anymore will work. I imagine that if I got one to work, most should also.

Well done! I've downloaded the WhereYouGo app, downloaded a local cartridge and no luck. Blasted thing just won't run! I've followed all instructions (download using PC etc). Very frustrating. Using a Galaxy S3.

Edited by Rincewind3

Hello,

I'm a newbie in this Forum.

I used to have an Oregon 450 but switched to the 650 recently.

I've never done a Wherigo bevore but would like to...

As far as I know the Wherigo engine is not implemented in the newer Oregons anymore.

But is there a possibility to install Wherigo manually???

For example take the engine from my old 450?

Frank

But is there a possibility to install Wherigo manually???

For example take the engine from my old 450?

As far as I know, Garmin's Oregon operating system is closed to modifications or feature additions. You'll have to keep your 450 around for Wherigo unless you have a smartphone.

What a pity.

I'm not so sure. When Wherigo and the Colorado were first released at the beginning of 2008, I was skeptical about bug fixes and updates. After geocaching for a scant year and a half before this, I had seen Garmin's update cycle for their handheld GPSr lines. If the player app had a bug in it, you would need to wait until Garmin released an update for the GPSr--and that's if they decided to fix the bug. Garmin had Groundspeak in a bind (I didn't even know at the time Garmin had to implement the Wherigo Player within their GPSr). I also wondered what would happen when Garmin retired a product line. If Wherigo made any significant improvements, newer cartridges would be unplayable on older model GPS receivers. These days, smartphones are the way to go because the developers control when and which updates go out rather than the device manufacturer.