Someone stole my first ever placed cache and replaced it with

Some kind of jar thing filled with human waste :D

I got a email telling me to check on it. I decided that I would go tomorrow on lunch but I couldn't stand it anymore and didn't want anyone else to be disappointed and that is what I found.

What is wrong with people? Who does stuff like that?

Is it going to happen to my next cache? :D

Of course I disabled the cache. Can I use the same cache name and description and just switch out the coordinates for somewhere different in the same cemetery. Somewhere more hidden and hard to find?

This really was a bummer for me

One of the basic premises behind my hides is to use as large a cache as I can effectively hide at a given location and to hide it only well enough to keep it from getting muggled or worse. I fear that perhaps your cache was not hidden well enough.

Unfortunately I fear that it isn't muggles doing this kind of thing, it's quite possibly a geocacher.

We had one here in Alabama a few years ago who fortunately disappeared after a time (I can't say I hope he drowned, that would be politically incorrect. I will just say that I am glad he disappeared) who was known as The Cache Crapper, for sad but obvious reasons. Some of the caches he befouled would only have been found by someone who had read the cache listing.

We are fortunate in my area to have relatively few caches stolen or destroyed, but looking closely at each situation it often appears to be the work of a geocacher. :D

It never ceases to amaze me how selfish and ignorant some people can be. Something similar happened to a cache near me, and when I read the log I just sat there thinking "why would somebody DO that?!". The geocache wasn't harming anybody, so why wreck it for others? You bet if something malicious was done to something THEY used, they'd be the first to be up in arms over it.

I guess we should be grateful that it's only a tiny minority of people that behave in such an obnoxious way.

Edited by Crid

Make it for Premium Members only. :D

That only works if the vandal is getting the coordinates from GC.com. If the muggling is the result of somebody wondering "what are those people over there doing?", making the cache members-only won't stop it from being muggled.

You can move it yourself if the new coordinates are within 528-ft. If it's more than than you'll need to get moderator assistance, but most likely they'll suggest archiving and re-listing (the new cache can have the same name as the old one).

I just recently moved one of my caches about 160' and it's very easy to do. Not that we have this problem in my area but I assume that the system checks the new coordinates for proximity to other caches. In other words, you can't do the following:

Place a cache that is 700' from a nearby cache and have it published. Once it's published, move it to a spot 300' away in the direction of the other cache so that the caches are now only 400' apart,

Unfortunetely I think it was somebody who at least is registered with GC to get the coord. And as I said before, there are people who get their enjoyment by ruining things for others. I don't know enough about psychology but its probably a power trip for them. They control you for that brief little period of time.

I had a roommate like that once. Needless to say I wasn't sorry to see him go (after he got fired from his job which was - of course - my fault).

You should be able to rehide the existing cache even at the same coords. Caches go missing for natural reasons too.

Make it for Premium Members only. ;)

If you make it Premium Members only then you will be discrimanating against new members, people who cannot afford the fees and those who choose not to be premium members.

I have not yet decided whether to become a premium member yet, so because of that I wouldn't be allowed to join in.

Like everything in life you always have a bad apple, I am a freelance photographer when I cover events, you have the other togs that think they have the God given right to get in your shot just because they have been at it longer or they have better lenses. They are the ones that get the bad rep.

Life never plays fair, just have a quick moan, then get on with life.

Take care

Parageiss ;)

I just recently moved one of my caches about 160' and it's very easy to do. Not that we have this problem in my area but I assume that the system checks the new coordinates for proximity to other caches. In other words, you can't do the following:

Place a cache that is 700' from a nearby cache and have it published. Once it's published, move it to a spot 300' away in the direction of the other cache so that the caches are now only 400' apart.

You CAN do this.

Hopefully by accident.

Eventually someone will mention the issue to your reviewer, and you will have to put it back...or archive it.

If you make it Premium Members only then you will be discrimanating against new members, people who cannot afford the fees and those who choose not to be premium members.

You could make it PMO and just note in the descrip that you can be emailed for the coords. At least then you'll know who's looking for it and it's unlikely a cache maggot would go through the effort or reveal themselves. ;)

And your point is?

new members can become premium members as soon as they find out they like it.

"those who choose not to be premium members" I don't mind discrimimating against.

if you really can't afford 3 bucks a month, let me know and I'll help you out.

I have not yet decided whether to become a premium member yet, so because of that I wouldn't be allowed to join in.

Like everything in life you always have a bad apple, I am a freelance photographer when I cover events, you have the other togs that think they have the God given right to get in your shot just because they have been at it longer or they have better lenses. They are the ones that get the bad rep.

Life never plays fair, just have a quick moan, then get on with life.

Take care

Parageiss ;)

I don't see making caches available for premium memebrs as discrimination...no one is barred from becoming a premium member based on any criteria I can think of other than personal choice. If a person can afford a GPSr, they ought to be able to spring for at least a one month trial membership. I can't afford a Lexus, while others can...that's not discrimination on the part of the Lexus dealer, it's my fault for not making a more lucrative career choice!

Back on topic: cemeteries can be havens for all manner of homeless people, aimless teenagers, drug users, etc. It's very possible that the cache was discovered accidentally, or that a geocacher was observed and then the cache was vandalized. Have there been similar incidents in your area? If not, I bet it was a random thing. Unfortunately, if you replace the cache nearby, it may happen again. If you really love the cemetery and really want to have a cache there, archive the existing cache, then hide a micro in another part of the cemetery. Good luck!

You could make it PMO and just note in the descrip that you can be emailed for the coords. At least then you'll know who's looking for it and it's unlikely a cache maggot would go through the effort or reveal themselves. ;)

I thought that these kinds of caches (email for coords) were not getting approved these days?

We decided against replacing that cache. But in a fit I went out and purchased two more containers to camo and we will look for a new and more exciting location for these. Mess up one and I will replace it with two.

We will be posting the next one as open to everyone since that is how we hunt. However should something happen to this next one I will be changing it to member only which I think is a bummer. We already have it placed but have to go move it 139 feet due to it being to close to a micro lol

What Saz and I enjoyed about this sport/hobby/game/fun thing was we could just do it without paying to begin with. I want others to have that opportunity too.

But today my premium membership will go into effect. Just in case.

Some kind of jar thing filled with human waste ;)

I got a email telling me to check on it. I decided that I would go tomorrow on lunch but I couldn't stand it anymore and didn't want anyone else to be disappointed and that is what I found.

Is it going to happen to my next cache? :laughing:

Of course I disabled the cache. Can I use the same cache name and description and just switch out the coordinates for somewhere different in the same cemetery. Somewhere more hidden and hard to find?

This really was a bummer for me

Bad enough when something like that happens deep in the woods, but in a cemetery?!? ;)

Sorry for your misfortune. Not much that you can do about it, though, I'm afraid.

And your point is?

new members can become premium members as soon as they find out they like it.

"those who choose not to be premium members" I don't mind discrimimating against.

if you really can't afford 3 bucks a month, let me know and I'll help you out.

I thought this sport was for everyone? not just for those that choose to become premium members, that is defeating the spirit of Geocaching. I am lucky enough I can afford to become a premium member, also afford a good GPS and all that goes with it. but at the moment I am choosing not to become a premium member I get all I need from being a 'normal' member at the moment. Why should I be penalised for the actions of a few.

This is how divides are started, its easier to move or cancel the cache then split a community.

I thought this sport was for everyone? not just for those that choose to become premium members, that is defeating the spirit of Geocaching. I am lucky enough I can afford to become a premium member, also afford a good GPS and all that goes with it. but at the moment I am choosing not to become a premium member I get all I need from being a 'normal' member at the moment. Why should I be penalised for the actions of a few.

This is how divides are started, its easier to move or cancel the cache then split a community.

I think you'll find that the VAST majority of caches are not for Premium Members only.

Back on topic, tough break about your cache.

I thought that these kinds of caches (email for coords) were not getting approved these days?

I don't know if email-for-coords caches were ever approved (maybe before my time though), but I'm talking about making a PMO cache and then just inviting non-premium members to write you for the coords. I don't think there's any rules about that (mods please chime in here if I'm wrong) and I see it happen regularly.

Yup, it sucks that your cache was violated. I've had caches go missing too, but never replaced with waste products.

We could rant on and on about the main question in your OP.

Just in today's news alone:

• Why would a respected government scientist mail anthrax to senators and congress? He was ID'd today after committing suicide. Meanwhile +$5 million was paid as an apology to the wrongly ID'd colleague
  • Why would someone on a Canadian bus repeatedly stab and then behead a complete stranger?
  • Why would someone in NY post youtube videos stating he had poisoned baby food jars as a hoax?
  • Why would a man ambush kids swimming in a river in WI and murder three with an assault rifle?

At least your geocache made a few people smile and have a better day before it was defiled.

Never underestimate the disgusting habits of the ignorant.... If it was a cacher you may end up with problems like this again. If it was a nearby muggle and you don't move it very far, once again you'd be tempting fate. Since the original container was replaced it would appear whomever did it, had time to pull off the switch. How well was it hidden and how remote is the cemetary? Someone had to discover it and if hidden at all would of been during daylight. And doubt the switch was done during the day as preparing the replacement would of been a little odd to observe, so there was some planning in this. Doesn't appear to be a random spur of the moment thing. You might have a local GC prankster so keep in touch with other local cachers and see if they get hit, too.

GC is not immune to the dirty side of humantiy.

Never underestimate the disgusting habits of the ignorant.... If it was a cacher you may end up with problems like this again. If it was a nearby muggle and you don't move it very far, once again you'd be tempting fate. Since the original container was replaced it would appear whomever did it, had time to pull off the switch. How well was it hidden and how remote is the cemetary? Someone had to discover it and if hidden at all would of been during daylight. And doubt the switch was done during the day as preparing the replacement would of been a little odd to observe, so there was some planning in this. Doesn't appear to be a random spur of the moment thing. You might have a local GC prankster so keep in touch with other local cachers and see if they get hit, too.

GC is not immune to the dirty side of humantiy.

Hi guys.

The cache was only active during the morning hours. It was ruined in the early afternoon on the first day. So I believe it was a geocacher, or someone who trolls the site anyway. That makes more sense than a muggle noticing cachers, looks in the tree, runs off to crap and pee in a jar and then brings it back to make the swap. The poor guy who discovered the swap, his observations make it pretty clear that whoever it was turned up with the jar ready to make a swap, and is probably getting a kick out of this thread.

If he is, just know that you were seen, and your vehicle was seen. ;)

Hi guys.

The cache was only active during the morning hours. It was ruined in the early afternoon on the first day. So I believe it was a geocacher, or someone who trolls the site anyway. That makes more sense than a muggle noticing cachers, looks in the tree, runs off to crap and pee in a jar and then brings it back to make the swap. The poor guy who discovered the swap, his observations make it pretty clear that whoever it was turned up with the jar ready to make a swap, and is probably getting a kick out of this thread.

If he is, just know that you were seen, and your vehicle was seen. ;)

While I believe whomever defiled your cache owns a GPS, and has access to the site, I could never consider the possibility that they are a Geocacher.

This is not how a Geocacher behaves.

This appears to be a territorial comment, from someone with communication problems.

A Geocacher might be disappointed in themselves for not moving fast enough to hide a cache in an area they had planned, but then they would be happy to have another cache to go find.

My profiling charts indicate the individual is probably above average intelligence, but has a serious low self-esteem problem, and (as mentioned above) difficulty communicating in a normal fashion.

I would in no way recommend this individual should be confronted in any way by anyone without comprehensive psychological training. It would be very difficult to predict how a rat like this might react if cornered.

"If you make it Premium Members only then you will be discrimanating against new members, people who cannot afford the fees and those who choose not to be premium members."

At 3 bucks a month, I would hardly call it unaffordable. And for the "Why should I be penalised for the actions of a few? - c'mon! We're talking about 3 measly bucks. The "spirit" of geocaching is still the same, but unfortunately, this world is full of scum bags and we can either deal with it by spending a small amount not only for the site owners' business but also for the tiny bit of security it provides or we can pretend scum bags doesn't exist and "HOPE it doesn't happen to me". I actually spent 3 bucks just to try it out. A friggin' starbucks drink costs more! And I still managed to pay my mortgage at the end of the month.

There are too many kids/slimy adults out there with nothing better to do then to get their kicks by being slimy cowards. I just recently placed my first cache as a member only cache just for this reason. Sorry, but I don't feel like I'm being part of some elite "Donald Trump's Platinum Members Only" club and stripping the "spirit" of geocaching. ;)