60CSX owners only!

:D I’m a 61-yo Newbie to geocaching. I am a hiker, backpacker, Fly-fisherman, etc., anything in the outdoors. Therefore, I fell geocaching will fit in perfectly with my outdoor interests. I believe after visiting here for hours, that I have decided on the “Garmin 60CSX” (unless someone here changes my mind!)

My greatest interest are cashes on the Appalachian Trail and related site-traisl. I realize that there may be only a small segment of Geocach.com interested in such caches, but this is my interest.

Questions: (all apply to the 60CSX)

1. What map-software do I need to purchase?

2. Does the Garmin available topo-map software have the Appalachian Trail and side trails on it?

a. If you have this software will you check and see?

b. How about the topo-maps sold on SD-cards, Vs CD version?

If you live in the Central VA area (I’m in Forest, VA) and would like a student on a few searches, e-mail me.

You can e-mail me at willee51@hotmail.com

I'm an outdoor generalist too including hunting, photography, freshwater and saltwater boating. A GPSmap 60CS is a constant companion for all these activities.

For mapping programs I have Metroguide 4.0, Bluecharts, Inland Lakes, Topo 2008, and 24k Topo for the east.

I've found that Topo 2008 is all I need for my hikes. I always have a layer of Metroguide 4.0 since it autoroutes. If I'm fishing I either use Inland Lakes for freshwater and Bluecharts for saltwater.

Since neither Topo 2008 or the 24k Topos are locked, I'd get them on CD/DVD not SD cards. This will let you plan and review trips on the computer and load maps on your next GPS.

If I were you, I'd get City Navigator NT and Topo 2008 since not all Appalachian trails are on the 24k Topos. You will love the autorouting of your GPS unit. You might want to get a RAM mount so you can use it in the car.

:D Thanks folks for all the great help/information. Hope to meet you sometime at a gathering.

Billyboy (gotta change my user name????)

How big is the "learning curve" with the 60csx? I have never used a GPS in my life? :D

I picked it up in under an hour. Even worst case by the end of the day you'll have it. Some of the tricks such as changing which maps are visible you're better off learning from these forums than the instruction manual.

If you can wait, you might prefer these maps instead. They include both routable roads and trails.

He will be waitng a very long time for them to be done. I was told by tech support that they were working from the west coast to the east coast.

Im not going to wait the months it will take them to get to the East Coast. I'll just get the available Topos for the east.

He will be waitng a very long time for them to be done. I was told by tech support that they were working from the west coast to the east coast.

I have a hard time believing they will release the Midwest before the Appalachians.

Why? Whats the big deal about the appalachians?

I have a hard time believing they will release the Midwest before the Appalachians.

• There's a lot more backcountry recreation here
  • The most visited national park in the country (Great Smokies)
  • Closer to population centers
  • Highest sheer rock face in Eastern North America (>2500')
  • Highest waterfall in Eastern North America (> 700')

But hey, I'm biased. And despite my user name, I'm back in NC now.

• There's a lot more backcountry recreation here
  • The most visited national park in the country (Great Smokies)
  • Closer to population centers
  • Highest sheer rock face in Eastern North America (>2500')
  • Highest waterfall in Eastern North America (> 700')

But hey, I'm biased. And despite my user name, I'm back in NC now.

Doesn't Garmin 24K East National Parks cover most of the appalachians? The reason I called them was I wanted to know when Idaho was going to be available and they said they are working on them from west to east. Now it could have been a person just telling me what I wanted to hear or someone with some knowledge. I guess we shall see what they release next.

Doesn't Garmin 24K East National Parks cover most of the appalachians? The reason I called them was I wanted to know when Idaho was going to be available and they said they are working on them from west to east. Now it could have been a person just telling me what I wanted to hear or someone with some knowledge. I guess we shall see what they release next.

It seems that the 24K East National Parks only contains the "Shenandoah NP" which is about 1 1/2 hours from me. I would rather have the 2008 TOPO and get more than just the SNP ;)

Below is a mapsource image of my 60csx with the older $89 topo loaded. It is the intersection of the AT and the Boulevard trail. The AT is in the bottom right corner. I have found while going up the Alum Cave trail that the dotted line can be off by several 100 feet sometimes, but for the most part it gives you a good idea as to what is ahead of you. I loaded the segments I use most the time on the 128meg card that came with the unit and I bought a 2 gig card to load in City Navigator with the road maps of all 50 states and a good part of Canada.

55e959af-b462-47ce-a973-86caeff719d3.jpg