FTF Failure

I had a bit of fun this evening while attempting to get to a new cache on the edge of the "Grimpen Mire" on Dartmoor. After struggling for nearly a mile across bogs and a very lively stream I had to admit defeat while less than 60ft from the cache.

The final crossing was just too dangerous today and although we didn't get to find the cache we got home in one piece and I really enjoyed the attempt.

How close have you got to a FTF then had to turn back for whatever reason?

Mrs B spotted a new listing one evening only a couple of miles from our home. So we set off at one dark winters night about 21:30 and got to the exact location. Equiped with torches we searched ages and couldn't find it. So no FTF on that one. We logged it as an FTDNF :D . The owners then contacted us to say that in the hours from it being placed, published and us looking for it, it had been muggled :D

We did manage to find it when it was replaced :D

Chris (MrB)

I had a go at a new cache in Richmond a few months back. I knew from an older cache that it was going to be difficult as the land floods quite often. I got within 20 feet of it but no matter how I tried I just couldn't get there without extra protective clothing. I gave it a miss and someone else bagged it the next day.

Fair weather cacher, that's me. :D:D

We once went out for an FTF attempt at our local train station. Mum woke one kid up to go out after bedtime for an "adventure".

When we got to the station car park (which probably holds all of 15 cars), there were about 3 Police cars and several officers there, the cache being at the furthest end of the car park!

Having driven past several times and with no sign of movement we decided to give up!

The next cacher apparently arrived a few minutes later and the Police had gone!

We once went out for an FTF attempt at our local train station. Mum woke one kid up to go out after bedtime for an "adventure".

When we got to the station car park (which probably holds all of 15 cars), there were about 3 Police cars and several officers there, the cache being at the furthest end of the car park!

Having driven past several times and with no sign of movement we decided to give up!

The next cacher apparently arrived a few minutes later and the Police had gone!

Maybe it was a police officer out for the First to Find!

Couldn't find it, so called in some fellow officers to help.. :D

A couple of years ago a new cache was posted on News Years Day around tea time. It was already dark but we knew a few people would try for it in the morning, following the festivities. So we headed off in the dark to find it. Our plan had been to find it, write a smart 'happy new year' comment in the log book, but not log it on line until the next day, to let others think it was still unfound. Cruel :D

After walking through ankle deep mud the co-ordinates kept pointing us into a bunker on a golf course, so we trudged all the way back with nothing and ended up logging the did not find that night. We decided it served us right.

The co-ordinates were updated following a another did not find. Serves us right for trying to be smart :D:D:D

I had a bit of fun this evening while attempting to get to a new cache on the edge of the "Grimpen Mire" on Dartmoor. After struggling for nearly a mile across bogs and a very lively stream I had to admit defeat while less than 60ft from the cache.

The final crossing was just too dangerous today and although we didn't get to find the cache we got home in one piece and I really enjoyed the attempt.

How close have you got to a FTF then had to turn back for whatever reason?

2 x FTDNFs - where I've got to the final location, before the cache itself got there.