colorado 300

Colorado 300 anyone bought one

Am I missing anything here on my Legend CX when I was geocacheing and using TOPO mapping when I was going to a find a cache I had the choice of On road or Off road IE: so you could still use the Mapping to get you close to the cache by road with your Garmin giving directions, I can't see to do this with the Colorado 300 (or can you)

Thanks for any advice

Yes, on the Etrex you set up the routing options - I have it set to ask me for on or off road each time I do a goto. But with the Colorado you have to go into Setup - Routing and set it there. I can't find an option so it asks me each time. Saying that, I have tried to do a route (my map has the capability) but each time it says there are no roads near the starting point which is odd because I live on one! So as I have a TomTom for use in the car I've never bothered trying again.

I like the Colorado for things like the Geocaching pages and the ability to load a PQ directly into it. But some things are different including menu's... but you get used to it

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

Am I missing anything here on my Legend CX when I was geocacheing and using TOPO mapping when I was going to a find a cache I had the choice of On road or Off road IE: so you could still use the Mapping to get you close to the cache by road with your Garmin giving directions, I can't see to do this with the Colorado 300 (or can you)

You can't, or at least, you don't get asked each time you go to a WP. It's my no.1 unresolved annoyance on the Colorado. :D

What you can do (and it's horrible) is to set up two profiles, say Recreational and Geocaching, so that in one of them the Guidance mode is "Off Road" and in the other it's "On Road for Time" (or Distance). Then, when you want one rather than the other, you do a Profile Change first. I did say it was horrible...

What you can do (and it's horrible) is to set up two profiles, say Recreational and Geocaching, so that in one of them the Guidance mode is "Off Road" and in the other it's "On Road for Time" (or Distance). Then, when you want one rather than the other, you do a Profile Change first. I did say it was horrible...

I rarely use the Geocaching profile. Instead I use the Automotive profile (or any non Geocaching one) and then select a cache. This gives you a small arrow and a distance (plus cache info). Press the down on the scroll wheel to see a small compass ( press down again to see the arrow and distance minus the cache info - press up to change view back). You can get a full screen compass here by pressing the left button. This is the menu that has an option to route along the road by choosing "Go To Location"..

Once you have selected on road routing, there doesn't seem to be a way to go back to off road without going back to "find" that same cache again (but at least by this time your cache should be at the top of your list!!) I find this easier than changing profiles which does my head in too. You can only perform this procedure for caches (not waypoints). Hence you have to go back to the horrible method for final/intermediate stages of a multi, for example. Or just stick to Trads!

This what you do....

Setup routing for "on road".

Chose the cache and select "Go to location" in the options menu. It will auto-route. When you have finished driving and want to switch back, shortcuts/geocaching and choose the cache which should be at the top of the list and you will be routing off road.

It is easiest, if you arrange the shortcuts to avoid scrolling in whatever profile you are using.

This what you do....

Setup routing for "on road".

Chose the cache and select "Go to location" in the options menu. It will auto-route. When you have finished driving and want to switch back, shortcuts/geocaching and choose the cache which should be at the top of the list and you will be routing off road.

It is easiest, if you arrange the shortcuts to avoid scrolling in whatever profile you are using.

Thanks Red that worked fine, thanks to all for you information