Foiled by a micro!

Imagine this.... Walking up a mountain with a fully loaded, stuffed to the gills ammo can. Trying to be "stealthy". Walking to our spot which we were sure was far enough away from any caches.. Hiding it perfectly. Giggling to ourselves as we pulled stickers out our socks and shoes. Smiling as we walked back to the car. Huffing and puffing a bit lol.

We get home and hit submit.

This morning I have an email. We are to close to a micro, log only cache. Sigh. :unsure:

We were so sure we were far enough away.

So today after work we have to go move our cache that we have been planning for over a month. Sigh

This happen to anyone else.

Imagine this.... Walking up a mountain with a fully loaded, stuffed to the gills ammo can. Trying to be "stealthy". Walking to our spot which we were sure was far enough away from any caches.. Hiding it perfectly. Giggling to ourselves as we pulled stickers out our socks and shoes. Smiling as we walked back to the car. Huffing and puffing a bit lol.

We get home and hit submit.

This morning I have an email. We are to close to a micro, log only cache. Sigh. :unsure:

We were so sure we were far enough away.

So today after work we have to go move our cache that we have been planning for over a month. Sigh

This happen to anyone else.

Well, yeah, it happens and it's frustrating after all that work. But really, it's best to put all nearby caches into your GPS and then check for the nearest one from the spot you want to hide in. If it's within .1 miles, move it around a bit. Hope this doesen't curb your enthusiasm! Your hide sounds like just what I'd like to find!

But if your complaint is mainly about the micro in the woods, just fuggedabowdit and move on... :ph34r:

Not really bummed about the micro. Sometimes they are fun to find. But kind of bummed that I have to move my can out of a perfect spot.

It was fun going to hide it though. We felt a little like sneaky people. :unsure:

Tonight we will go move it farther away and hope there isn't a cache near by. We could have sworn we were far enough.

I had that happen a couple times and my cache was denied because it was too close to a "Mystery Cache". So, even though my gps and the downloaded coordinates showed I was good, the mystery cache was not at the published coordinates. So, what appeared good to me...did not appear good to the reviewer because he has all the coordinates.

I wish Geocaching.Com would have some kind of distance checker where you could test before you go thru all the trouble of setting up a cache. All they have to display is something that says "Too Close To Another Cache"...and you can move on and find another spot...instead of having the reviewer waste his time telling you.

Edited by Drooling_Mongoloid

It could be just a matter of it being TOO close, such that one might find one cache while seeking the other . . . otherwise, the reviewer could approve it (it is a guideline more than a rule, right?).

An alternative is to contact the micro owner and request in your warmest manner that he move his, even offer to do it for him and send the co-ords (if your spot is so dear). He will have the fun of your new hide when he does maintenance on his own . . . OR, you could do the maintenance for him as a reward for his helping you :unsure: .

I wish Geocaching.Com would have some kind of distance checker where you could test before you go thru all the trouble of setting up a cache. All they have to display is something that says "Too Close To Another Cache"...and you can move on and find another spot...instead of having the reviewer waste his time telling you.

I think adding a feature such as a distance checker would be a great addition to the sight, but in this case they hiked out, hid it and found out later it was to close so not sure that would work in this case.

If you knew the coordinates before hiding the cache, this would be a very useful tool.

Edited by jbhodj & Drake

Not really bummed about the micro. Sometimes they are fun to find. But kind of bummed that I have to move my can out of a perfect spot.

It was fun going to hide it though. We felt a little like sneaky people. :unsure:

Tonight we will go move it farther away and hope there isn't a cache near by. We could have sworn we were far enough.

Be sure to load your GPS up with all the local tradtional caches before setting out to place one. Not a perfect system but works well enough. Should also check with a reviewer if thier are any multis or puzzle caches within 2 miles.

I was once very careful to be far enough from URBAN MICRO ONE when placing a cache. Got home and listed it. Got an email that I was about 5 feet too close to URBAN MICRO TWO and that it could not be published!!

I have learned to click on "all nearby caches" BEFORE I send a new listing to a reviewer.

***I think adding a feature such as a distance checker would be a great addition to the sight, but in this case they hiked out, hid it and found out later it was to close so not sure that would work in this case.***

But you would have to know where the final coordinates to a Mystery Cache or Multi-Cache to know if you were too close to one of those.

I was denied because I was too close to a Mystery Cache final...that I didn't have coordinates for.