Bug prisons re-visted

Scubasonic

I got reamed the other day on the forum (Ideservedit) when I displayed my anger that no one was obeying my Cache rules of don't take one, unless you leave one. When I first started Caching I ran into this Cache this is very common in our area so I thought that this is the way it worked....check out this Cache

"Troutdale's Travel Bug Rest Stop" (GCXPNM)

or a link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...af-5b97ba852dce

Since then I have changed all my Caches to no restrictions, and feel better about it.

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

A problem with demanding that TBs and coins be traded one-for-one in such a cache is that the number of travelers in the cache will steadily increase, with no way for them to go down (assuming the rule is enforced/followed). One aspect of a true travel bug hotel is that cachers will seek it out to drop off TBs without taking any. If this happens in one of these one-for-one caches, it will lead to a cache with so many travelers in it that some will never move. Not good. That cache you mention has 13 TBs/coins listed. That is getting to be too much, unless someone is willing to grab more than they leave.

When I first started Caching I ran into this Cache this is very common in our area so I thought that this is the way it worked....check out this Cache

Yes, these types of prisons are quite prevalent, and it's no surprise that unsuspecting new hiders who see them think that that's the way it is supposed to be done, and copy them. It feels like fighting a losing battle trying to stamp them out, but it's worth it for every former prison that has left the Dark Side and joined the forces of Travel Bug Justice. :D

Since then I have changed all my Caches to no restrictions, and feel better about it.

I like the new wording on your pages much better!

When I first started Caching I ran into this Cache this is very common in our area so I thought that this is the way it worked....check out this Cache

Yes, these types of prisons are quite prevalent, and it's no surprise that unsuspecting new hiders who see them think that that's the way it is supposed to be done, and copy them. It feels like fighting a losing battle trying to stamp them out, but it's worth it for every former prison that has left the Dark Side and joined the forces of Travel Bug Justice. :D

I like the new wording on your pages much better!

If you think that the wording on my Caches could be improved on please let me know. I'm all ears.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

A problem with demanding that TBs and coins be traded one-for-one in such a cache is that the number of travelers in the cache will steadily increase, with no way for them to go down (assuming the rule is enforced/followed). One aspect of a true travel bug hotel is that cachers will seek it out to drop off TBs without taking any. If this happens in one of these one-for-one caches, it will lead to a cache with so many travelers in it that some will never move. Not good. That cache you mention has 13 TBs/coins listed. That is getting to be too much, unless someone is willing to grab more than they leave.

Yeah, I'd take about 12.

Jim

I took care of that today, I RELEASED THE PRISONERS !!!!! took all but one. have already placed 1/2 of them and am taking the rest to GREECE with me in 2 Weeks.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I took care of that today, I RELEASED THE PRISONERS !!!!! took all but one. have already placed 1/2 of them and am taking the rest to GREECE with me in 2 Weeks.

Scubasonic

I bet those TB owners really appreciate it! And that's awesome that you can put some big miles on a couple of 'em and hopefully move them along on their goal.

Yep, it's unfortunate that not everyone understands how TBs are meant to work.

It's funny because you would think that this owner would know since he has over 3000 Caches he has found :) I sent him a polite message, with some links to some threads here talking about why you should not have a prison, and he was nice enough in his response, telling me that he was cleaned out of bugs by some truckers several times and he didn't like it. I looked today and the Cache in question is unchanged, the only difference now is that all his trackables are gone. :):):huh:

Scubasonic

Yep, it's unfortunate that not everyone understands how TBs are meant to work.

It's funny because you would think that this owner would know since he has over 3000 Caches he has found :) I sent him a polite message, with some links to some threads here talking about why you should not have a prison, and he was nice enough in his response, telling me that he was cleaned out of bugs by some truckers several times and he didn't like it. I looked today and the Cache in question is unchanged, the only difference now is that all his trackables are gone. :):huh::)

Scubasonic

81958548.rUywd6IH.youanleadahorsetowat.jpg

Personally, I think the idea of a "travel bug hotel" is a good one. If you're passing through the area, you can stop and pick up and/or drop off. I think the suggestion that at least one be in place at all times is a good one to facilitate the objective, having bugs readily avauilable. I consider myself a NOOB but I generally ignore a REQUIREMENT that one for one swaps take place. To me a "travel bug motel" suggests a fairly easy grab that will most likely contain at least one bug, and is large enough to hold bugs. However, I have logged several hotels recently that were empty. In that case I check the cache page. If it is listed as containing bugs I would include in my log that no bugs were present.

Personally, I think the idea of a "travel bug hotel" is a good one. If you're passing through the area, you can stop and pick up and/or drop off. I think the suggestion that at least one be in place at all times is a good one to facilitate the objective, having bugs readily avauilable. I consider myself a NOOB but I generally ignore a REQUIREMENT that one for one swaps take place. To me a "travel bug motel" suggests a fairly easy grab that will most likely contain at least one bug, and is large enough to hold bugs. However, I have logged several hotels recently that were empty. In that case I check the cache page. If it is listed as containing bugs I would include in my log that no bugs were present.

I agree with everything you've said except the part about "to facilitate the objective, having bugs readily available."

The objective of a hotel is not to have a place where you can always find a bug, it's to provide a secure location with easy access. It should facilitate the movement of bugs which means getting bugs in and out as quickly as possible.

SS

HooRah!! Happy you saw that geocaching is a much friendlier & fun sport without the unnecessary restrictions people try to put on their caches. I belive you'll be much happier with this type decision.

Now if only those who make it a point to put restrictions of some type on EVERY cache they place, would follow your lead. :D:(