Logging a find on a co-hide?

I've helped hide several caches that I am listed as a co-hider on. After the last one was hidden, the owner said I was free to log a find on it. I hadn't thought about doing that until she said it. I know there are no rules about it, so I was just looking for opinions. I could go either way.

I would like to get them off my nearest cache list! :unsure:

Oh, and please keep it civil.

Lots of opinions on both sides of the fence. For me, I'd never log that as a find since I knew just where it was and it seems silly to log it as such to get the smiley.

Some people can't STAND to have a "not found" cache showing up on their searches and/or want "credit" for the cache and since they can't get it into their hide count, they want it in their found count.

Again, for me, I don't care. I know I helped hide it and don't need any "credit". I also don't care if you decide that you want to count it as a "find" with the owner's ok.

I wouldn't. I helped hide it. Where is the fun in it if I already know where it is? And no, I don't go for the "Turn my back while he hides it" thing either. If 90 percent of the hunt was spoon fed to me I think logging find would be cheap.

That was my thinking too.

Let me ask this...if you place a cache on your ignore list and your watch list, will you still receive emails when it is found?

I think the best option, if you want to log it and have the owners blessing, is as a 'beta tester'. It's not uncommon for someone to double check on the coordinates, etc., when a cache owner hide a cache and then log it as a find, noting that they aren't the first to find both online and in the cache log.

I wouldn't. I helped hide it. Where is the fun in it if I already know where it is? And no, I don't go for the "Turn my back while he hides it" thing either. If 90 percent of the hunt was spoon fed to me I think logging find would be cheap.

That was my thinking too.

Let me ask this...if you place a cache on your ignore list and your watch list, will you still receive emails when it is found?

Absolutely. I have a cache I hid under a sock puppet account (no really, I mean an account for a hand puppet), and this works. I'm also quite sure I once also put a cache that was blatently placed on private property on my ignore list, but put it on my watchlist, as I was curious to see how many "smiley seekers" would go for it (or who would get detained by the police, etc...), and I got the emails no problem there also.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I've helped hide several caches that I am listed as a co-hider on. After the last one was hidden, the owner said I was free to log a find on it. I hadn't thought about doing that until she said it. I know there are no rules about it, so I was just looking for opinions. I could go either way.

I would like to get them off my nearest cache list! :D

The real problem here is that you are a co-owner the same way the VP shares power with the President. In other words. In theory only. Since the cache doesn't show you as an owner when you click on the cache onwer...you have a problem or two.

Problem 1.

You don't get notices of cache logs.

Problem 2.

The cache shows up in your unfound list instead of your owned list.

Problem 3.

If there is a cache problem you are not the one anyone will contact or-co contact.

Problem 4.

Your cache owned count is off.

Solutions include

Put the cache on your watch list then ignore it.

It solves #2, and #1

You still have #3 and #4.

You can log the cache as a find and watch it.

#4 is solved so long as you are happy with the owned/found count being right even though the owned is down one and find is up one. #1 and #2 are also solved.

Alas:

There is no true way to solve #3. Even if you activly maintain the cache and read the logs if anyone emails the cache owner you don't get that email. They would have to read the listing see you were a co-owner and then look you up and email you. Activly watching logs as as good as it gets.

The best solution is to allow true co-ownership where the cache ownership lists both owners and all 'contact owner' emails goes to both owners etc. We don't have this option yet leaving you to solve any problems you encounter by other methods.

Only one is the owner . . . two may share as the hiders - the owner makes the decision regarding their cache and who can log! If they say you can log it and you feel it is okay . . . just do it.

Only, please, do NOT do it as a FTF and rob actual FTF seekers of that joy!

Good point. Even if you do find it to solve the issues of co-ownership, you really are never the FTF.

I would like to get them off my nearest cache list! :D

Co-owner ought to be a god-parent to the cache, ready to adopt or perform maintenance. So my advice on logging a co-owned cache as a find is wait six months, make the first maintenance visits to the cache(s) and log your find(s) then. This approach is helpful to the owner, and neutralizes the slightly cheesy odor that accompanies logging a find on a cache you helped place.

I wonder how can you can count a find on something if you know exactly where it is hidden?

But at the end of the day and after all these replies are read-you still have to look at yourself in the mirror and answer only to that person.

Edited by wimseyguy

I too have helped place several caches with others and since i know where they were hidden, i wouldn't think about logging them as finds. The best way i've found i've found to deal with them is to ignore them so they won't show up on my nearest unfound list or pocket queries, and then to add them to my watchlist so that i can see the logs come in. Doing this will provide pretty much the same results as if you're the listed owner of the cache! :D

Well you said our opinion matters...

My opinion is also if I helped hide it, then I don't think it's right to claim I found it. How can I find something when I know where it is the whole time? ha ha. But I don't think negative of those who choose to log it when they aren't the account holder associated with the cache even though their name appears at the top.

So, you just have to ask yourself if you really think it's right to do so... don't log it just because you want a smiley, there are plenty of caches out there that your name isn't on, for which you can truely find the cache and claim the smiley reward.

Only one is the owner . . . two may share as the hiders - the owner makes the decision regarding their cache and who can log! If they say you can log it and you feel it is okay . . . just do it.

Only, please, do NOT do it as a FTF and rob actual FTF seekers of that joy!

It's between you and the owner.

Co-owner ought to be a god-parent to the cache, ready to adopt or perform maintenance. So my advice on logging a co-owned cache as a find is wait six months, make the first maintenance visits to the cache(s) and log your find(s) then. This approach is helpful to the owner, and neutralizes the slightly cheesy odor that accompanies logging a find on a cache you helped place.

This is my 'requirement' for those few caches I had company for while hiding.

If one re-visits a Mule Ears cache after helping with the hide, one has certainly earned that smiley! :huh:

Yesterday I chose to log my 1000th find on this cache. I was present for the hide, and am listed as a co-owner. I made another trip to the cache to log the find. I looked for and found a different route than we had taken to hide the cache. As for knowing where the cache is, when it's on top of this little hill, I think that the prior knowledge of where the ammo can is insignificant:

c9bb9eee-36be-4742-88f7-55d1dfed16ca.jpg