Grabbing archived events as finds?

Mag Magician

Second thoughts. I won't put this out there.

Sorry!

Given some folks use events to log caches that are not actually listed anywhere, I don't see why we can't just take that logic to the next level. Sure why not log archied events. You can pick one for your Navicache finds, your Terracaching finds, and your old Geocachingworldwide finds. You can pick one for your event finds, finds that you think you should have gotten, and finds that you will get someday. Another for your waymark finds and anothe for every penny you find.

There is just so much cotton picking potential to further abuse using events to log caches that why limit it to active events?

My original topic starter was based on the fact that someone logged a find on an archived event, 6 months after the archiving of the event. I have the event log proving that they never signed in to that event. However!!!!! After making an azz of myself confronting the offender and deleting the attended log, it was discovered that the logger was in fact a guest of a logged finder (who had just created her own account minutes before) and I personally greeted her at the event. Once reminded, it was a matter of backpedaling quite rapidly. I was too hasty in using the no signature = no find rule, which I publicly apologize for in this case.

I was also hasty in starting this thread, just minutes before receiving e-mails chastising me for having upset the person and explaining their position. That is the reason I chose to delete my first content, since I could not delete the thread entirely.

So, in humility, I would like to make an apology to fingers crossed and one of our newest geocachers, Princess Butterfingers.

Edited by Team Magic

This happens sometimes. I would not let my children create accounts at first because I wanted to get a feel for the community in our area. After attending an event I allowed my daughter to create an account and log the event even though she didn't sign the log book or register a "will attend". We did send an email to the event owner explaining this first though. You shouldn't feel too bad though since there is some guy out there racking up a thousand finds without signing a single log book that has been checked. Don't know about some people.

My original topic starter was based on the fact that someone logged a find on an archived event, 6 months after the archiving of the event. I have the event log proving that they never signed in to that event. However!!!!! After making an azz of myself confronting the offender and deleting the attended log, it was discovered that the logger was in fact a guest of a logged finder (who had just created her own account minutes before) and I personally greeted her at the event. Once reminded, it was a matter of backpedaling quite rapidly. I was too hasty in using the no signature = no find rule, which I publicly apologize for in this case.

I was also hasty in starting this thread, just minutes before receiving e-mails chastising me for having upset the person and explaining their position. That is the reason I chose to delete my first content, since I could not delete the thread entirely.

So, in humility, I would like to make an apology to fingers crossed and one of our newest geocachers, Princess Butterfingers.

This happens sometimes. I would not let my children create accounts at first because I wanted to get a feel for the community in our area. After attending an event I allowed my daughter to create an account and log the event even though she didn't sign the log book or register a "will attend". We did send an email to the event owner explaining this first though. You shouldn't feel too bad though since there is some guy out there racking up a thousand finds without signing a single log book that has been checked. Don't know about some people.

Mr. Dolphin took care of that phony logger; I bet he'll never log another cache again (at least with that account). :anibad: My 9 yr. old son may want an account some day. He actually found my very first cache with me when he was 3 years old in 2003!! He's attended one event, and I'll bet he's been to 300-400 caches.