Elderly Newbie Needs Some Help

SoCalToolGuy

Hello all. My wife and I just bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and after reading the manual that came with it, I must say that I am as confused as can be. I think I understand some of the lingo but I was wondering how do I go about loading the geocache info into the GPS? Do I have to enter it all manually or is there a way to download it from the Geocaching.com site directly to the GPS? Thanks for your help,

Ray.

You can enter the waypoints manually, download the needed drivers from the garmin site and use the usb cable to download the waypoints, or download the .loc (or .gpx files if your a premium member) and use EasyGPS or GSAK to load the waypoints.

Jim

Hello all. My wife and I just bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and after reading the manual that came with it, I must say that I am as confused as can be. I think I understand some of the lingo but I was wondering how do I go about loading the geocache info into the GPS? Do I have to enter it all manually or is there a way to download it from the Geocaching.com site directly to the GPS? Thanks for your help,

Ray.

I can relate to the 'elderly ! :unsure: Etrex Vista HCx. That's what I have!! (He's a very nice Gupy Gap!) As a Premium Member, you can create .gpx files from 'build pocket queries' on 'My Account'. You will need a program, such as GSAK (available for free with the nag screen, or for purchase. Most of us buy the program.) (You should be able to use it for free to make sure it meets your needs.) You'll also, probably want some mapping program. It's great, but, be careful. It'll take you to the nearest road. (Not always the best way to get to a cache.)

This will make your life with the HCx a lot easier, you may not understand it now but keep it in mind for later...

When using the virtual keyboard for entering data, whether it be addresses or whatever, instead of using the "OK" button on the keyboard, it is always better to use the 'Zoom In' button.

If you're using geocache.com, after you've searched for caches in your area, open them up and you'll see a button that say's "send to GPS" aslong as you gps is connected to the computer it will be automaticly sent.

I think youmay need to download an add on for IE but it's easy and the window will tell you how.

I've only started my self and have the same unit.

Ray.

Since you are Premium Members, you can create and download Pocket Queries, either of a particular area, or "Caches Along a Route" you are traveling.

Once you get those files, you can use either EasyGPS or GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to load all 500 caches from the PQ file at one time.

Most people mention GSAK to transfer waypoints and it is a very good application for doing so, but it has a learning curve. For a free and simple method it's hard to beat EasyGPS.

If later on you decide you want the numerous features of GSAK I highly recommend it, but in the beginning I think EasyGPS is sufficient.

Ray.

Did MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager come with your GPS?

I checked the Garmin website and it is supposed to come with it, this is what I use to send My PQ's to My Garmin eTrex Vista HCx , you will need the program GSAK, and a premium membership to geocaching dot com.

I would be glad to help you any time you want with setup, Etc

Thank all of you so very much for your help. Now I must add that after messing around with the Vista I decided that the screen print was too small for my old eyes so I called the vendor and got permission to send it back and I ordered a GPSmap 60csx instead. I assume that the advice that you all gave me will also work with the new GPSr. We are going to become premium member so we will have the full use of Geocaching.com. If any of you have any more to add please do. I am all ears. Er eyes. Thanks,

Ray

SoCalToolGuy, you've made an error. I would suggest that if the only reason you are changing it is because of the size of the characters that you pop down to a store and compare the two in person because you will be in for a nasty shock.

The 60CSx screen shows characters that are 10% bigger, but the resolution is 10% less on the 60CSx. What this means is that if you hold the HCx screen 10% closer then the characters and resolution are exactly the same on both screens.

For example. Looking at the 60CSx screen at a distance of 10" is identical to looking at the HCx screen at a distance of 9". However there is another factor to consider with regards to legibility, and that is the brightness of the two screens. The 60CSx screen on 100% brightness is equivalent to the HCx screen on 30% brightness.

I seriously doubt that anyone uses their HCx at 30% brightness although most 60CSx users claim their screen is bright enough, but they don't have a choice. With the HCx on 100% brightness the characters will be more legible.

Now you might say, "well if I can hold the HCx at 9" instead of 10" then I can hold the 60CSx at 9" as well". This is true but then the lower resolution of the 60CSx comes into play.

I presume you have been using the HCx at full brightness, in which case you are going to be in for a nasty surprise with the 60CSx. You'd do yourself a big favour by eyeballing it in person before making this decision because I doubt they will let you change it back again.

And yes, the instructions you received for the HCx will be the same as the 60CSx.

This "brightness" comment made me look at my 60CSx to see what level I had it set to (You can adjust the brightness). I have it set to about 20%. I haven't changed it in months.

On our last trip I used the gps day and night, on bright days and cloudy/rainy ones, in the car, in the woods, in cities, and on the beaches (rocky and sandy). I only use the backlight at night, and have it set to go off after a few minutes of non-use (It comes back on again when it wants to alert me to a turn or to proximity to the cache). I get terrific battery life from my unit--I used two sets of batteries for an 8 day trip, keeping the unit on all day while navigating and caching. I only turned it off if we went inside for several hours or overnight.

I have older eyes, too. Just had to get my first pair of bifocals (and should have had them a few years ago, but I was being stubborn). I love my 60CSx. I'm sure you will be very pleased.

wow, that's amazing. Even if I allow for an 8 hour day, that's 64 hours from two sets of batteries, with is double the maximum possible ammount. I've had a few 60CSx's and at 20% it's difficult to tell the backlight is on at all. But seeing as you have a special unit with double the normal battery life, you probably have one where 20% brightness is equivalent to 100%. You surely have a collectors item on your hands.

if you can hook up yer garmin to the computer and it shows as a browsable drive you dont need ANY software, not even the plugin.

download the GPX files onto your desktop or any folder, be it cache by cache or using a pocket query (which results in ONE gpx file which can contain multiple caches or even routes) and then move the file from you computer onto your GPS.

if its a Garmin the files should go into a path simular to

E:/Garmin/GPX

where E:/ is the drive letter for the Garmin.

i use neither GSAK nor the plugin (do most of this from work and cant install anything on these workstations) :-p

Edited by Guinness70

wow, that's amazing. Even if I allow for an 8 hour day, that's 64 hours from two sets of batteries, with is double the maximum possible ammount.

Actually I should have said 2 changes of batteries--so that's three sets total. I can't really say how much use I had gotten from the set that was in the unit when we started the trip, but I traded out one set in Rhode Island and I put in the next set in a park in Ohio. I only had my unit plugged into the car for about three hours in Massachusetts because mine had the better route to a cache we were headed toward, and N1 wanted to use it to navigate by. I'm estimating I got about 28 hours out of each of the two sets I changed to during the trip. I think that's a nice amount of time for batteries to last.

And yeah, I do get much longer than the "reported" time out of a good set of batteries. Maybe I've just been lucky. My first gps--an eTrex Legend-- would get 22-24 hours of run time out of a set of batteries, even when driving at night and using the back light almost continually. I noticed that on a trip to Florida and back for my father's funeral, and confirmed it on a trip home from Chicago to see my in-laws. My 76CS didn't do as well, but it would get about 22 hours to a set.

My husband can get two or three months of use from one set of batteries with his 60CSx...but he plugs his unit into the vehicle while we drive, so the battery doesn't get much chance to drain.

I just wish I could say the same for my digital camera. It eats batteries.

SoCalToolGuy, you've made an error. I would suggest that if the only reason you are changing it is because of the size of the characters that you pop down to a store and compare the two in person because you will be in for a nasty shock.

The 60CSx screen shows characters that are 10% bigger, but the resolution is 10% less on the 60CSx. What this means is that if you hold the HCx screen 10% closer then the characters and resolution are exactly the same on both screens.

For example. Looking at the 60CSx screen at a distance of 10" is identical to looking at the HCx screen at a distance of 9". However there is another factor to consider with regards to legibility, and that is the brightness of the two screens. The 60CSx screen on 100% brightness is equivalent to the HCx screen on 30% brightness.

I seriously doubt that anyone uses their HCx at 30% brightness although most 60CSx users claim their screen is bright enough, but they don't have a choice. With the HCx on 100% brightness the characters will be more legible.

Now you might say, "well if I can hold the HCx at 9" instead of 10" then I can hold the 60CSx at 9" as well". This is true but then the lower resolution of the 60CSx comes into play.

I presume you have been using the HCx at full brightness, in which case you are going to be in for a nasty surprise with the 60CSx. You'd do yourself a big favour by eyeballing it in person before making this decision because I doubt they will let you change it back again.

And yes, the instructions you received for the HCx will be the same as the 60CSx.

Well, this is to update your comment. First let me thank you for taking the time to warn me. Now let me say, after having both units in my possession and trying both outdoors there is no comparison. The GPSMAP 60CSx is by the better unit. Hands down bigger, brighter and much easier to use. The buttons are where they should be and work similar to my old Magellan GPS315 that I just got through resurrecting. I am very happy that I made the decision to exchange the units.

Actually, now I have three usable GPSr's. I have been using a Nuvi 350 for navigating and after reading the thread on how to use it for geocaching, I downloaded and installed all the necessary programs to send data to my Nuvi. It works fantastic. All the notes and directions are stored in it so no more printing for me. I am a very happy camper and now all I have to do is learn all about the three units. Tomorrow we go out into the field and find some stuff. Thanks to all for your help.

Ray

Hands down bigger, brighter and much easier to use. The buttons are where they should be and work similar to my old Magellan GPS315 that I just got through resurrecting.

All that really matters is that you are happy with your purchase which you are so it's all good. However while I will agree that the 60CSx is bigger, there's never an argument about that. Yup, it's bigger, it's even bigger than the colorado whose display is twice the size. As for being brighter, it isn't. That's just a fact. The buttons are not where they should be but again all that matters is that you are happy with where they are. Obviously buttons should be where ones fingers naturally fall. The 76CSx buttons are more where they should be.

Hands down bigger, brighter and much easier to use. The buttons are where they should be and work similar to my old Magellan GPS315 that I just got through resurrecting.

All that really matters is that you are happy with your purchase which you are so it's all good. However while I will agree that the 60CSx is bigger, there's never an argument about that. Yup, it's bigger, it's even bigger than the colorado whose display is twice the size. As for being brighter, it isn't. That's just a fact. The buttons are not where they should be but again all that matters is that you are happy with where they are. Obviously buttons should be where ones fingers naturally fall. The 76CSx buttons are more where they should be.

I guess that's why Baskin Robbins has done so well.

Ray