Garmin eTrex Vista HCX(new) or 60CSX (refurbished)

Ok choice is down to these two what in your honest oppinion would be the better way to go use would be geocache, fishing, hunting

Well I'd hope that everyone would give an *honest* opinion without it being specifically specified.

Bearing in mind that both units have identical functionality with regards to the uses you specified, then it really just comes down to whether you prefer the overly large, size of the 60CSx including it's spongy difficult rocker button and very dull screen, or the more compact, sleek and more modern HCx.

unfortunately my 1st gps was a Magellan triton400 but what with not being able to get ontario canada topo because software company stopped taking canadian credit card (no other way to purchase offered btw) then spending close to 9 hours on the phone to Magellan im not sure if lastest and greates is the best, Ive read comparison between the two and I should have made it more cleare in original post that I am looking for the pros/cons of them both.

Edited by canadianguy

The Vista HCX is anything but accurate. It is very well documented that the Vista HCX and the Colorado (which use the same chip) suffer from very inaccurate readings that can only be corrected by turning the unit on and off. The problem is if you are in an unknown location, you will not know it is inaccurate. I have never owned the 60csx, but I care more about reliablity than I do about a couple of extra ounces. My vote....go with the 60csx with the proven chip and firmware. The Vista HCX COULD be an awesome unit, but the accuracy issue has existed since the introduction of software version 2.60. That was in March 2008 (or 2007 if you go by the date listed on the website...Garmin can't even get that right). Garmin knows about this issue and has done nothing to fix it...4+ months and counting! I would not buy a Garmin product with known bugs with the expectation that Garmin will fix it like they have in the past. It is a new day and it is pretty clear that the Garmin of the past is no longer (resources are focused on automotive units and new handhelds)....go with a product that doesn't require firmware updates....buy the 60csx or take a close look at the Delorme PN-20 or the upcoming PN-40.

After receiving my Vista HCx from amazon yesterday and confirming that it did indeed ship with the problematic 2.60/2.60 firmware/software and after learning of all the people having problems with the rubber banding around the edge coming off inevitably, I decided to just return it (already boxed it up and printed the return shipping label), not waste my time with possibly iffy units and ordered up the 60CSx to go with a tried and true device.

I haven't had any of the aforementioned problems with my Hcx. I did notice something odd the last trip I made though. I climbed about 150 on the way to work, and than I somehow managed to climb 150 on the way back home. I'm fairly sure there were not any major seismic activities occurring in central MN that day that would account for my abrupt change in my elevation. My horizontal location has been dead on though. Getting refurb opens the door up to problems as well. With MY experience with the Hcx I would recommend it, besides the altitude error(which for all I know could be me looking at the graph wrong) I have had no problems with it.

then it really just comes down to whether you prefer the overly large, size of the 60CSx including it's spongy difficult rocker button and very dull screen, or the more compact, sleek and more modern HCx.

talk about a biased opinion.

Sleek and Modern? :D:D

Overly large size of the 60csx?? :o:D

Wow.

It would be easier if you just wrote you like the Hcx better and leave it at that. The rest is just OPINION.

I haven't had any of the aforementioned problems with my Hcx. I did notice something odd the last trip I made though. I climbed about 150 on the way to work, and than I somehow managed to climb 150 on the way back home. I'm fairly sure there were not any major seismic activities occurring in central MN that day that would account for my abrupt change in my elevation. My horizontal location has been dead on though. Getting refurb opens the door up to problems as well. With MY experience with the Hcx I would recommend it, besides the altitude error(which for all I know could be me looking at the graph wrong) I have had no problems with it.

Most likely just a change in atmospheric pressure. That's the problem with barometric altimeters. As you can see from this graph- 150 feet is only a small atmospheric change:

http://www.challengers101.com/images/Pressure26.gif