garming map sizes

I been kicking around the idea of getting my own GPS. How big are the maps in size of memory needed?? I am looking at the legend that has 24mb. Iwould like to use the city navigator software.

or should I ante up and get one with a disk drive???

are the eTrex series still good, I read the new ones have issues and I am not too tech savy to fix them. I just want a tried and true model.

thanks

brad

I been kicking around the idea of getting my own GPS. How big are the maps in size of memory needed?? I am looking at the legend that has 24mb. Iwould like to use the city navigator software.

or should I ante up and get one with a disk drive???

are the eTrex series still good, I read the new ones have issues and I am not too tech savy to fix them. I just want a tried and true model.

thanks

brad

I'd get one with a micro SD card slot. Anything with an 'x' in the product code should have a microSD slot. (Legend HCx - High sensitivity SiRF III Chipset, Color, eXpandable memory).

Dale

I bought a Legend HCx a week or ten days ago, got the Micro SD card for it -- 2 GB -- and it holds the entire 48 states and Canada with room left over. Of course, the Legend is a more basic model than some, but it seems to be doing fine for my purposes -- Geocaching and occasional routing between cities halfway across the US.

7 3

can you only select certian states or do you have to do the whole DVD??

You can select only certain states, but with the price of microSD cards, why bother with the hassle? Put all of CN NT on the 2 gig card and you're good to go. I am not sure how much space the non-NT version takes up, but certainly most of the maps will fit on a 2 gig card.

I'll add this in anticipation: The NT version of the maps is more highly compressed and take up less space on the card. Some say they load more slowly and the map redraws are slower than with the non-NT version. I have the NT maps on my C320 and my 76CSx and have no problem.

You can select only certain states, but with the price of microSD cards, why bother with the hassle? Put all of CN NT on the 2 gig card and you're good to go.

There is something to be said for that, but on the other hand, the more maps you send, the longer it takes. I have loaded just the midwest, because that's my primary travel area. I have no immediate plans to travel elsewhere. Meanwhile, if I get an updated map set (I just reloaded the CN2009 upgrade and also have the Ibycus maps loaded) or decide to purchase TOPO 2008, anything I have loaded has to be reloaded.

I toggle back and forth between maps, so I like having everything on one card. If I decide next summer to take a road trip to Oregon, I'll reload maps and include the states I'll conceivably need along the way. Meanwhile, it makes no sense for me to be loading and reloading all of New England, for example, because I have never in my life visited there, and have no plans to do so in the near future.

YMMV.

Edited by andylphoto

I find having all of the US and Canada on the card to be very helpful. You never know when you're going to be going somewhere. Just last week my wife came home from work and said "let's go to Chicago next weekend and run the half marathon." A month before that she wanted to go to Boston and before that Edmonton. No need to spend time uploading maps each time as they were already there.

Edited by ryleyinstl

Great points. If you do a lot of traveling like that, then it's advantageous to have all the U.S. loaded. Myself, over the last three years, I've only traveled in MI, WI and a week in FL last Christmas. I think I have loaded MI, WI, OH, IN, IL, IA and MN, along with Ontario. (Just got CN after the Florida trip.) Anything beyond that would be at least a ten hour drive, or a flight, and wouldn't be something we'd do on the spur of the moment. Some people might though...just throwing out some different ideas for map management.

I look at it kind of like shopping for insurance...you weigh the risk of needing maps for states you probably won't visit (but could) against the cost of spending the time loading them, vs. the cost of spending time RE-loading.

Right you are..…I suppose the wife and I do a bit more traveling lately trying to hit up as many USA highlights as we can before we move back home. It's crazy though how many people I have met in St. Louis that have never left the city. This country is big and full of interesting places, get out and explore them!

I suppose in the end it really doesn't take that long to upload new maps (especially if you use a card reader). Hell if I have the time to type this I must have the time to fiddle around with my maps.

Edited by ryleyinstl