Need help on creating custom description

mjmfgm

I am lost; I have been trying to get help for the last 2 weeks and cannot find the answer. I have a shape file for a fishing region which I would like to overlay on to my Garmin GPS. I downloaded Cgpsmapper and MapEdit as well as cypherman MaptoolKit. I found out that I cannot use custom MapEdit and need to create a custom TYP file to use with cGPSMapper. I am not a programmer I am a graphics designer and so not understand how to create these types of file.

So I created a MP file with Global Mapper and need to get started from there.

1) Create Type file with polygon

2) Change description to = Fishing Area 1

3) Label Trout

4) Color Blue

5) Area Fill Hatched

After the file is created I need to send this file to cGPSMapper to create the Image file.

I know how to make the new image file visible in Garmin Mapsource, I do not know how to use SendMap yet ( I think I can figure this one out.). I thank anybody in advance for their help in advance.

Regards,

Fred

I am lost; I have been trying to get help for the last 2 weeks and cannot find the answer. I have a shape file for a fishing region which I would like to overlay on to my Garmin GPS. I downloaded Cgpsmapper and MapEdit as well as cypherman MaptoolKit. I found out that I cannot use custom MapEdit and need to create a custom TYP file to use with cGPSMapper. I am not a programmer I am a graphics designer and so not understand how to create these types of file.

3) Label Trout

4) Color Blue

5) Area Fill Hatched

After the file is created I need to send this file to cGPSMapper to create the Image file.

I know how to make the new image file visible in Garmin Mapsource, I do not know how to use SendMap yet ( I think I can figure this one out.). I thank anybody in advance for their help in advance.

Regards,

Fred

Don't know why you'd need to use a TYP file to do this. TYP files basically just allow you to customize how items are displayed. There are plenty of built in types you can use instead. I suggest you try over in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/map_authors/ for specific help on custom map creation.

3) Label Trout

4) Color Blue

5) Area Fill Hatched

Regards,

Fred

Don't know why you'd need to use a TYP file to do this. TYP files basically just allow you to customize how items are displayed. There are plenty of built in types you can use instead. I suggest you try over in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/map_authors/ for specific help on custom map creation.

Thank you for your reply ibycus , I would love to use the build in types. However I would like to change the description of the polyline. For Instance: I could use the Blue Unkowen type that has the type of hatching. However ones loaded in my GPS every time I move my curcer over the polygon the label shows Unknowen. I would like to have the description say Fishing Area 1 and the label say Trout Fishing or something like that.

3) Label Trout

4) Color Blue

5) Area Fill Hatched

Regards,

Fred

Thank you for your reply ibycus , I would love to use the build in types. However I would like to change the description of the polyline. For Instance: I could use the Blue Unkowen type that has the type of hatching. However ones loaded in my GPS every time I move my curcer over the polygon the label shows Unknowen. I would like to have the description say Fishing Area 1 and the label say Trout Fishing or something like that.

For this, just add a label. That will take precendence over the default naming.

Quick example how to make a TYP file for your fishing area...three patterns in blue (can be made any color though)

Download video file here then play it in Windows Media Player.

Thank you very much "RWS", I understand now. I just create these 3 patterns and sve them as a "bmp" file and then import them. Cool....

Thanks again for all your help :unsure:

Quick example how to make a TYP file for your fishing area...three patterns in blue (can be made any color though)

Download video file here then play it in Windows Media Player.

Thank you very much "RWS", I understand now. I just create these 3 patterns and sve them as a "bmp" file and then import them. Cool....

Thanks again for all your help :unsure:

I loosing my mined, I created a bmp file 32x32 1 bit cross pattern with Adobe "AI", Gentype is telling me that I need to use 2-4 bits ? How did you created your bpm file ?

Thanks Again RWS

I loosing my mined, I created a bmp file 32x32 1 bit cross pattern with Adobe "AI", Gentype is telling me that I need to use 2-4 bits ? How did you created your bpm file ?

Thanks Again RWS

32x32 (RGB color mode) then Save As... a bmp 24 bit

Thanks Again RWS

32x32 (RGB color mode) then Save As... a bmp 24 bit

Thanks got it. :unsure: