Phone GPS's

Critta

Feel free to laugh at my newness to this...

I had a crack at locating a cache last night but discovered my phone Nokia 6110 Navigator would have placed me nearly 1km out of the park where the cache should have been. Are these phones any good for geocaching or just toys?

Thanks.

I had a crack at locating a cache last night but discovered my phone Nokia 6110 Navigator would have placed me nearly 1km out of the park where the cache should have been. Are these phones any good for geocaching or just toys?

Thanks.

Sounds like you entered the co-ordinates wrong. The Nokia 610 should get you to within 5 meters of it.

Thanks.

I use a Nokia 6110 Navigator with the free version of Trimble's Geocache Navigator software and am happy to report that I've had no problems with it. In fact, I've found all my geocache finds - not a lot admittedly, only 7 to date - with this combination.

I use the Nokia 6110 Navigator with the free Trimble Geocache Navigator also and I'm up to 101 caches in 2 months with little trouble. Every now and then the GPSr goes a bit wonky, but most GPSr will experience issues at times from what I understand.

Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.

Cheers

Howdy, I have a Nokia 6110 navigator and I use the GPS which comes with the phone. I have not had any problems caching with it. I am pretty sure the datum used is wgs84 (i can not find anywhere to change the datum) The co-ordinate format that this phone uses is decimal degrees so make sure you convert from what ever format (usually deg min sec) the cache is in.

Cheers

yeti

I've got a Nokia Navigator 6110 also with Trimble Geocache Navigator application installed and it's pretty handy - though i mostly use my GPS in preference because I'm not sure how my phone accesses the internet when using the Navigator application and I don't want it costing me a bomb.

I definitely agree with naenee though ... that the GPS on these phones does terribly drain the battery life.