Serial Muggler

I know the recent disabling of a bunch of local caches here may in all likelihood be unrelated but it seems like our area may have a serial muggler on the loose. (That may just be the cynical voice talking in my head) Apparently someone who can't get enough bison tubes and Mickey D toys, but it is really starting to get irritating seeing area caches dropping like flies. Are there any ideas out there to try to get this under control before it actually starts discouraging cache placements in this town? I know when I replace mine it is either going to be a member's only or much harder, but this cache I originally placed so kids can take part as well, and I'd hate all the area caches to be 4-5 difficulty just because some looney has a fetish for dull pencils ans wrinkled paper in ziploc bags. I'd appreciate any and all ideas no matter the sanity level. Thanks MaNiC

The best advice I have ever hear for the situation you have described is to quietly replace the cache. Don't mention it on the cache page. Don't make a big deal about it in the forums. Just go on as if it never happened. No sense giving someone the attention they crave.

It is also possible you just have a run of bad cache juju going on. How many caches have gone missing in the last month? Two months? Six? Any patterns? Micros? Ammo cans? all town parks? All state parks? Caches by a certain cacher or cachers?

Unfortunately, you may be dealing with a malicious muggler who just wants to ruin things for others. Private member caches will probably deter him or her.

Although nothing says they can't pay their membership fee. Unfortunetely there are people who get their jollies by ruining things for others.

Best thing you can do is ignore them. Better than 9 out of 10 times they get bored since their efforts aren't being "recognized."

Edited by BuxCamper

We call him a cache maggot, and have a very active one in our area. He has been destroying, moving, and actually exchanging caches in our area for several years. We have tried everything we can think of, but the best advice is to ignore him. He may not go away entirely, but he doesn't have as much fun if he is ingored.

Okay . . . let's go 'James Bond' on him!

Find a spot very near to a cacher's home where the only entrance (park co-ords, even) to a long (15 minutes or more) trail can be 'tripped' to alarm the cache owner at the nearby home that a cacher is on the hunt . . . a small camera at the cache site can be allow watching the cacher with the cache. Make the cache page rates the cache very enticing!

If he is a cache maggot (seen destroying the cache), the owner runs to the maggot's car and makes his activity known as forcefully as he chooses, while leaving a warning note telling him he is being targeted.

It may discourage future maggot activity if he feels there is a cost for his bad behavior and fear of retribution. :unsure:

Edited by GRANPA ALEX