Watertown SD Caches

manicgecko

Caches in Watertown seem to be being muggled on a fairly regular basis this summer, and there is not a lot of them to begin with. I'd like to think they are unrelated, but the cynic in me is thinking there is some person out there who thinks it is funny to walk off with the loot. Though why anyone wants a wrinkled sheet of paper and a bunch of McDonald's toys is beyhond me. So if you have a cache around the Watertown SD area, I would definately check up on it.

Also has something like this happened elsewhere? What options are there beside hiding blinkies everywhere to help prevent this from discouraging more caches in this area. I know my next cache is going to be a lot more difficult, but these easy park and grabs are fun for the kids, and I'd hate to have to drive out of town just so my 5 year old daughter can find a cache for herself.

I have been around places where caches go mysteriously into the void... Interestingly enough, it seemed that a cacher had a bad 'to do' with another and began removing his caches at random... That was never confirmed, but it wasn't too hard to put the pieces together.

Tough call though, the nice easy caches for the kids are great but can become a real pain when they start disappearing. Sometimes a small multicache can help discourage someone from just running out (or using Google Earth) to find a cache to plunder. Good luck!

I've been fortunate that none of my caches in town have been damaged, emptied or went MIA. Maybe due to location or lack of visibility from a distance? Caches near the river & zoo seem to be muggled regularly over the years by (I assume) the number of youth that spend their summer days there in "crazy hills" (- is it still called that?). There have been others I suspect were "cleaned up" by park crews/volunteers that don't read the container or contents. So in summary: keep containers well hidden and off the ground. Or go with the options others wrote in.