question for coin artists and/or vendors

LionsLair

I really see the 1st one and 4th one the best.

I think you could do them as a photo print. However you may want to first shink the images down to coin size to see if the images would still have the optical illusion effect in a smaller size.

I think the only option would be to do them as a photo print on the coin - otherwise, doing them with enamel requires that each color be contained by an outlines (which holds the enamel) - this might mess up the illusion. Certainly on the ones where a gradient of color is used... I think those would *have* to be done as photo images. Cool idea to try!

From a technical standpoint it could be done but it must be done as a photo print. These illusions work because of micro-sicades that are made by your eyes at they adjust and scan the environment. (those of you who do not see motion simply make fewer of these eye movements that the rest of us). If you were to do this with the enamel process the raised metal would in fact stop the illusion from working. Also the selection of colors is important. Often you will see that they must be oppositional colors (red/blue).

Yeah, I feel like a geek now...but that's what I get for spending 11+ weeks studying these types of illusions and how they are perceived.

From a technical standpoint it could be done but it must be done as a photo print. These illusions work because of micro-sicades that are made by your eyes at they adjust and scan the environment. (those of you who do not see motion simply make fewer of these eye movements that the rest of us). If you were to do this with the enamel process the raised metal would in fact stop the illusion from working. Also the selection of colors is important. Often you will see that they must be oppositional colors (red/blue).

Yeah, I feel like a geek now...but that's what I get for spending 11+ weeks studying these types of illusions and how they are perceived.

Do you think it could be accomplished with gold and a purple/blue hard enamel? It would be flush and have directly opposing/complimentary-contrasting colors.

I had that idea a while back here is one of my examples of Illusion coins.

2716770183_b1280ee6f7.jpg

That would be awesome! That's right along the lines of the thing I was wondering if it would work... I think a coin like this would be a bit hit... and I'm surprised nobody has done one yet...

Do you think it could be accomplished with gold and a purple/blue hard enamel? It would be flush and have directly opposing/complimentary-contrasting colors.

As long as the colors are flush and the pattern isn't broken by something else it should work. I'm very interested in watching this project come to completion. I was planning on something like this but am still working on some personal coin designs so I'm glad someone will beat me to it!

That would be awesome! That's right along the lines of the thing I was wondering if it would work... I think a coin like this would be a bit hit... and I'm surprised nobody has done one yet...

That one says "keep this coin moving"...I can't STOP it from moving. these images would be useful in banner ads, rather than the really obnoxoius movements they all use now. Even when I look elswhere on the page, my eye is drawn back. I've seen some thay just are so annoying that I have to leave the website.

That one says "keep this coin moving"...I can't STOP it from moving. these images would be useful in banner ads, rather than the really obnoxoius movements they all use now. Even when I look elswhere on the page, my eye is drawn back. I've seen some thay just are so annoying that I have to leave the website.

OK I am going to go ahead and get this one Moving....like if it ain't already.

I will add another one for the back.

Whatya Think?

Edit to add:

2730479696_f780fdf2df_o.jpg

It looks like it has ridges...Geocoins have ridges?

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

Here's one idea for an illusion coin I came up with a while back! :unsure::blink::D:D:)

TooManyMicros_coin.jpg

D-man :D

I'd buy a couple of these!

A friend has the photo of the girl with four eyes hanging in his kitchen. This one would need permission from the artist for the use of that picture because of copyright issues.

Edited by Eartha