Pocket queries?

What's a pocket query? And why would I want one? I'm considering upgrading to a premium membership, and it seems like a lot of people do it for those. So why is that?

A pocket query is a parameter-based search for caches in a certain area. Running a sucessful one results in a compressed file that contains as many as 500 .gpx files on 500 different caches. This file can be downloaded and sent to a geocaching database (I use GSAK) where you can keep track of different caches. I also send this entire file to my GPS unit to "populate" the unit with caches to find. Doing this, I have a waypoint and a full description of each cache in the original file.

Using GSAK, it's relatively easy to send waypoints to your GPS unit before leaving for a caching trip. No more hand-entering coordinates and naming waypoints.

How long does it take? Assuming I have pocket queries that can be run (you can only run 5 per day), I can send the query, download it and send it to my GPS in a couple minutes. So what used to take a minute or more per cache to enter, I can now load almost as many caches as I will need in a year in less than one second per cache. Well, well worth $2.50 per month if you're wanting to find more than one cache per day.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

GSAK is a third party software program: Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

It's well worth the $20 if you take up caching as a lifestyle. :unsure: Many of us have...

I think GSAK can download waypoints in the Etrex H. If it doesn't you can create a gpx file that EasyGPS can open and use that program to download the coords. The reason you would want to use GSAK first is because it has lots of tools to manipulate waypoint names. It will knock off the "GC" letters, for example. Neither EasyGPS nor MapSource can do that. There are lots more features than that.

What's a pocket query? And why would I want one? I'm considering upgrading to a premium membership, and it seems like a lot of people do it for those. So why is that?

It's also good because the pocket query has a lot more information about the cache than the the files that can be downloaded from the Cache entry page.

Our eTrex Legends worked just fine with a Belkin adapter; the H should do so as well. Some folks have to fiddle with the computer settings--but someone on here will walk you through it if you need help. It's usually just a matter of needing to tell the computer how to recognize the adapter.

Oh ok. I'm pretty good with computers so that shouldn't be an issue.

Is the GSAK free? If so, where should I download it?

If not, how much is it and where do I get it?

You can download and use GSAK for free, but after a short trial period a nag screen gets longer and longer. It costs $25 to register (pay pal is the desired coin, the author is in Australia). You can download if from gsak . The support is superb, support (There is a very large macro library to do things like create gooble maps, caching statistics, maps for challenges and much more.) I almost feel ashamed paying so little for the program. The macros are free.

Jim