Help me buy a new GPS

I currently have a Garmin Explorist 200 which works pretty good for getting us close to our finds. It was a great break in unit to start playing. But, now I'd would like something with a few more functions.

I'd like-

USB connectivity so I can download coords from the website.

Geocaching and geocaching.com friendly is a super plus!

A base map so I can drive there without having to hand enter coords into my car's gps unit.

Easy to use, my kids enjoy playing as well and the explorist is a bit complex for them.

Something with better sensitivity. Hubby wants a until that says "It's right here darnit!" which I realize isn't realistic, but it would be nice if it could get an accuracy of less than 40-60 feet while under a sunny blue sky!

Ideally, In the $300 range. Possibly as much as $500 if I spin it as a birthday present :unsure:

What unit do you recommend?

Edited by goodjoan

Garmin 60csx or vista HCx look at them both and see which one you like the feel of better.

To get turn by turn directions your going to have to add $100 for City Navigator. Basemap will not route you, it only includes cities and MAJOR roads like highways. Plus your going to want an auto kit for around $50 so you can mount it on your dash while driving.

This is the Garage Sale fourm. Perhaps the best place for this is the GPS and Technology forum.

I realized that shortly after I posted it. However, I cannot move it, it's not one of the editable options that I can find. If one of the mods wants to move it, that would be fine with me!

I would recommend a garmin Vista HCx or 60CSx
I must add that a base map is just as usefully turned off. You'll want to buy topo or road maps.

Ok, good to know! Some of the sites I've been reading seem to use 'base map' and 'road map' interchangeably. My explorist has a little bit of a map, main roads, large water bodies, but recently we were hunting in an area with a lot of small streams and little side roads. All the explorist showed was the coastline nearby, not all the smaller inlets so I ended up on the wrong side of an alligator infested creek more than once! With a better map, I would have had an easier time finding it. I don't usually complain about the challenge of the hunt, but stomping around gator, skeeter and spider infested woods with gator-nugget sized kids in tow...it left me wishing for better landmarks on my map!

Garmin 60csx or vista HCx look at them both and see which one you like the feel of better.

To get turn by turn directions your going to have to add $100 for City Navigator. Basemap will not route you, it only includes cities and MAJOR roads like highways. Plus your going to want an auto kit for around $50 so you can mount it on your dash while driving.

Thanks! Thats 2 votes for the same 2 units! See my other comments about the maps. Apparently I alraedy have a base map, I need a more detailed map! Thanks so much for the info! We are still pretty new to the game but are really enjoying it. I'm hoping a better GPS will generate more smileys and fewer episodes of hot, sweaty, disappointed children at the end of the day!