Letterbox hybrids

For those of you that enjoy these types of caches, what makes them a good 'letterbox hybrid?'

I haven't found many as a lot of places where I've cached unfortunately don't have them. I do go get them when I have the chance and I have enjoyed them.

So I was thinking about putting one out in my area. Just wondering from the masses what people think would be a good way to do one.

Obviously a stamp, ink, logbook etc. Would you just start it with that? I'm not too good with creating things, so I'd likely have to go to an arts store and find a nice stamp.

What about any 'rules' on the cache? No trading? TBs only etc.? Go with a bigger cache? Smaller lock and lock?

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

The only requirement is a stamp and a log. Most true letterboxers carry their own stamp-pad (or colored magic markers) because stamp pads provided in the cache are notorious for drying out.

You don't even have to cross list on a letterboxing site.

Everything else is up to you. I've seen LBH's ranging from the smallest small that would hold a folded paper log and teensy stamp, to a large ammo box. Put trade items if you want.

People into letterboxing (not hybrids) are in it for the very creative homemade stamps. So to attract those letterboxers, and to be able to cross reference your letterbox-hybrid cache on their site, you should design and make your own stamp using hard rubber and not use those store bought things.

Other than that it's just a traditional cache with a logbook, and a stamp, and a different icon on your page.

I think that the reviewers should require your letterbox hybrid to exist on atlas or letterboxing.org already, and have been found by letterboxers, before approving it on geocaching.com. That's my opinion.

For me a good letterbox hybrid is about the stamp - something personal, something that matches the theme or location.

Preferably a hand-carved stamp, because it's a personal piece of art - a one of a kind find.

To carve a stamp buy a white vinyl eraser at the dollar store. Find a small image on the web - something simple like a line drawing. Trace the image with a pencil. Turn the image face down onto the eraser and rub the back of the paper with the edge of a penny. The pencil lines will transfer to the eraser. Take a linoleum cutter with a #1 v-blade and carve out all the plastic that you don't want to show up when you stamp on paper, leave the lines that make up the drawing. When you think you're done, ink up the stamp and test your work on paper. You'll find you'll need to carve out some stray lines. Keep carving and testing until you're satisfied, a few stray lines add to the charm of a hand-carved stamp so don't worry about getting them all. For more tutorials on carving a stamp see: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/lone-r/links.htm#carve

If you're going to use a commercial stamp, look for something unique and artistic and related to the theme of your letterbox hybrid. Dollar store stamps just don't have the same effect as something artistic/unique or personal.

Regarding trading, I ask people not to leave trinkets in my letterbox hybrids because I think it may increase the possibility that the stamp could get traded out. I advise that you put a short eye-catching note in your container asking people to leave the stamp in the box. Some geocachers may not be familiar with letterboxes and don't know that a letterbox involves the exchange of stamp images rather than the exchange of trinkets.

The fact that it's a letterbox hybrid is essentially irrelevant to geocachers, other than those who collect icons.

A nicely carved stamp and interesting clues might make special to letterboxers, but for geocachers its just another geocache.

Then I vote that the category of Letterbox Hybrids' go the way of the Do-Do bird, and that no new ones be allowed to be placed since THEY ARE JUST TUPPERWARE IN THE WOODS like all other Traditional caches.

I would list it at one of the letterboxing sites as well. To me, that's the point of doing a hybrid. There's no reason for it being a hybrid if letterboxers don't know it's there. It's just another Geocache.

I prefer a hand made stamp, but I'm not dissapointed when I find a store bought one. A appreciate a plain, or badly done DIY stamp over a brilliant store bought one any day, but I'll take either.

If you could affix the stamp to the lid of your container, then you wouldn't have to worry about someone taking it as a trade item. As long as it sticks out past the edge, it should be all good.

Letterbox hybrids can allow a little more freedom to follow letterbox type of directions (as long as a GPS is needed at some point.) The hand-made stamps are fun! My cache is a micro, due to its location. I will admit that I put it out for the icon. :laughing: It has attracted visitors from seven or nine countries. This is always fun. I enjoy finding letterbox hybrids. They can be more fun than a traditional.

Go for it. Make it fun. And enjoy. (And mine is in a very beautiful spot. If you don't mind dodging wedding parties having photo shoots.)