An Indoor Cache?

I was wondering if it was possible to put a cache inside.

Yes, but it can't be a traditional. It must be a letterbox hybrid, Multi, or a mystery/puzzle.

Why not traditional? There are plenty of them out there (traditional).

Edited by OzzieSan

Yes, but it can't be a traditional. It must be a letterbox hybrid, Multi, or a mystery/puzzle.

From the guidelines for placing a cache

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Therefore you can hide a cache indoors but there must be some part of the hunt such as a stage of a multi that one can use their GPS to find. Many indoor type caches will take you to a location outside a building where you will find a hint or clue that you use to lead you to the actual cache. Such a cache should be listed as multi, letterbox hybrid, or unknown. Traditional means the cache is at posted coordinates and that is not the case here. I did do a cache once where the coordinates given were obviously inside a large college library. I wandered around outside for quite a while before going inside. I got in the elevator thinking the cache was on the roof, but a sign I saw in the elevator made me think that the cache was probably on the fourth floor. Sure enough I found it there in the stacks. I think that cache was listed as a traditional. But it was hidden way back before some guideline changes by a cacher hider who was famous for making you think outside the box.

Edited by tozainamboku

Therefore you can hide a cache indoors but there must be some part of the hunt such as a stage of a multi that one can use their GPS to find...

Not true. You can use your GPSr to find a traditional cache (not-multi) inside a building, too. No other parts required. The rule is pretty clear, all it states is that the OPTION to use a GPSr is a requirement, nothing else.

Because the current guidelines state that a Traditional must be at the listed coordinates, and you must be able to use a GPS receiver to find it. It's hard to get a GPS signal inside a building; maybe you can climb on the roof and work your way down (I've seen one in a parking garage like this).

Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container ("microcache") too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with just an object or codeword for verification, and no logbook, generally, does not qualify as a traditional cache. Caches that require the geocacher to do something beyond finding the container and signing the logbook generally do not qualify as traditional caches.

And yes, there are occasional Traditionals where the cache is offset some distance from the listed coordinates and you have to read the description to figure out the final location, but these are in violation of the guidelines. Most reviewers won't publish caches like this because a significant percentage of cachers never actually read the decriptions for traditionals; they just bulk download coordinates (and maybe hints) to their receivers and start hunting. But reviewers are human, and sometimes they miss caches that don't follow the guidelines. Also some older traditionals that violate current guidelines are grandfathered in.

If you don't believe me, ask your local reviewer, or any reviewer. If I'm wrong I'll apologize for passing along false information (it's happened before).

What if there is a way to get accurate coordinates with a GPSr, even though there is no reception at the actual cache location because it is "inside" something (a building, a cave, whatever...)? You're visiting the site and obtaining the coordinates with a GPSr.

Therefore you can hide a cache indoors but there must be some part of the hunt such as a stage of a multi that one can use their GPS to find.

And the cache I linked to can be found indoors with a GPSr, so again I ask, why must they be traditional?

Edited by OzzieSan

Therefore you can hide a cache indoors but there must be some part of the hunt such as a stage of a multi that one can use their GPS to find.

And the cache I linked to can be found indoors with a GPSr, so again I ask, why must they be traditional?

Even in my own posted I took a step back with a description of a indoor cache that was listed as traditional. So yes it can be done. For example, if there is roof access you could stand on roof and get a reading, then look in that location on each floor. I found a cache in a elevator once that worked that way. You could also take a reading outside the building and based on the bearing and distance to the cache, know approximately where to go inside. The example you give, however, looks like it may be grandfathered from before the clarification of the GPS being an integral part of the hunt guideline. Think of it this way. Someone loads the coordinates of that cache in their GPS and doesn't read the page. They go to the coordinates and are in the parking lot. There they would look for the cache and never think about going inside to find the cache. If this cache were properly listed as a puzzle or multi, the cacher would know to bring the cache description and see that they need to go inside. Per the current guideline, you might even have an issue as a puzzle/multi, since the coordinates aren't really integral to find the cache. You don't need to look at the GPS to find a parking space. Any coordinate for that parking lot would work. Granted that some people like caches where you have go look inside, but TPTB have decided that it is not a geocache unless there is the option to use the GPS as an integral part of the search. Think of traditionals like the one you linked to like grandfathered virtual caches. There may be some out there, but you'd have a lot of trouble if you tried to get something like that approved today.

What if there is a way to get accurate coordinates with a GPSr, even though there is no reception at the actual cache location because it is "inside" something (a building, a cave, whatever...)? You're visiting the site and obtaining the coordinates with a GPSr.

I've used my GPS while on an airplane and assume that I flew over lots of building, tunnels, etc. in which I could not get GPS reception.

I suppose that you could project a waypoint but that would still probably fall under the unknown cache designation.

There are a couple of real popular caches in Rochester, NY, one in an old subway tunnel (a letterbox hybrid) and another in a cave. The latter is a traditional with coordinates for the entrance of the cave and then instructions as to what to look for after entering the cave and walking in knee deep water for awhile.

I've considered placing a cache in a parking garage...but which floor? Adding a vertical component to a search tends to complicate things quite a bit.

I have done several that are inside. There is the one in the restaurant in Mexico, one in Yucca Valley in a shop owned by cachers, one in a bar in Yuma and one in a book store in Nanamio (which was the cutest since the hint was 'a place a book should never be' and it was in a woodburning stove which was not being used of course). The guidelines may be against it but as happens many times some reviewers seem to stretch the rules.