Is this valid as a CITO event?

FlintZA

Hi all,

I have recently become involved with a local nature reserve that has cleanup events every couple of events. The area that needs to be covered is quite large and with the small number of people that get involved, it would take a couple of days to make a serious dent in the trash. I would like to organize a CITO event to see if getting the local geocaching community (which is fairly active) involved would help.

I've read through the CITO event guidelines, as well as the excellent handbook prepared by the Florida Caching Association and this all seems above board, however a comment I saw in one of the posts in this forum implies that CITO events are exclusively 'for cachers, by cachers'. Since 'the usual' people involved in the cleanup would most likely still want to be involved, would this be a problem for the event? There are already a number of caches in the reserve, and I'm guessing the cachers that get involved in the event will try and seek those out at the same time (or afterwards) and they might well be exposed to these 'helpful muggles' in the process, is this likely to be a problem?

Typically, when geocachers are working in an area where other volunteers might also be working, an effort is made to create a geocachers area of responsibility. For instance, "cachers will be working on the trails north of the lake." Using a geocaching listing to call people to an existing clean up can be problematic, but this solution is workable.

Caching done before or after the CITO is not an issue at all.

Your local volunteer reviewer would likely help you get it set up properly within the listing guidelines.

From that listing http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...89-b4b45ff2faf4 :

"** This cache is a locationless cache that was approved in 2002 by special permission of Groundspeak. Caches like this are no longer being approved. The reason this cache is still alive and active is because it is grandfathered under the old guidelines."

Yes, you can clean up any area you want in that state of Minnesota and count it as a find.

Edited by Guesthouses

From that listing http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...89-b4b45ff2faf4 :

"** This cache is a locationless cache that was approved in 2002 by special permission of Groundspeak. Caches like this are no longer being approved. The reason this cache is still alive and active is because it is grandfathered under the old guidelines."

Yes, you can clean up any area you want in that state of Minnesota and count it as a find.

Then WHY does it NOT have the Locationless Icon? I would make a Special trip to MN IF the icon were to change(AND stay logable)

The Steaks

Here's the list of Locationless Caches

Edited by eagsc7