Signature coins

jc_hook

Here us another one that may have been posted to death. Direct me as you see fit.

So I see a nice wooden geocoin in a fitting sealed bag today, only to find it's a signature coin. What does one do with these things? I understand them in principle, you find the cache, you drop your marker. But wouldn't a cool stamp on the ol' log do the same thing. Putting even just a TFTC in the log seems more personal then a poker chip.

Please enlighten me. (It's late here in NJ so I'm a bit grouchy tonight.)

Imagine finding a cache full of signature cards. Sig items that are crafty are cool. Business cards or even Jesus Dollars or other religious advertising is just tacky. I never thought God was a commodity that needed to be advertised and sold like ... hemmm, soda pop.

Edit to add: No need to apologise for being grouchy... it's as honest an emotion as being happy.

Edited by Droo

Here us another one that may have been posted to death. Direct me as you see fit.

So I see a nice wooden geocoin in a fitting sealed bag today, only to find it's a signature coin. What does one do with these things? I understand them in principle, you find the cache, you drop your marker. But wouldn't a cool stamp on the ol' log do the same thing. Putting even just a TFTC in the log seems more personal then a poker chip.

Signature coins and other items are as diverse as their owners and normally they're dropped into a cache after the log has been signed. It's an extra way to leave your mark and there's a thriving group of sig collectors and makers who come up with new and more inventive ways to leave a mark all the time. It's just one more fun way to add to the game. :ph34r:

I have a pile of them mixed with my coin collection :ph34r:

I like sig items b/c they're personal to the cachers that made them. The folks whose sig item I think you have are really awesome. If you haven't yet, check out some of their hides; they always make me smile :o Thanks for fixing up my cache, btw :P

Ok, I get it now. I tended to think taking a sigcoin was taboo. I thought it was like crossing someones name off the log.

I'm also thinking of the ultimate demise of a cache. Once I hide a cache, after 20 years or so when it gets archived, Ha Ha, I think I'd like to keep the log as a glimpse at the brief moments in someone's life as they came to experience my cache. I guess I could keep a box.

Thank you for bringing up this subject. I am relatively new to geocaching and love it, but am still insecure about what to do with what I find in caches. The forums are helping greatly.

I am developing stuff to carry in a swag bag - just a fanny pack or backpack with trading items, coins, flashlight, pens, gps, extra batteries and a notepad. That is all I have in it now, but it seems like I am always missing something I need when I am way out in the woods!

Usually when I take something, I leave something comparable. However, I just was told that we can take a travel bug (coin or TB or anything meant to be put into another cache) and not leave something, just pass travel bug onto another cache asap. Is this right?

Usually when I take something, I leave something comparable. However, I just was told that we can take a travel bug (coin or TB or anything meant to be put into another cache) and not leave something, just pass travel bug onto another cache asap. Is this right?

That's right. TB's and activated coins are not trade items. They are meant to be moved so if you can help them along on their mission then you are encouraged to do so. There is no limit to how many you can take at a time (even if some cache owners say not to) - if you can help them move then grab em..

If you find a 'gift' coin, then that should be treated as swag and traded for even or up. Now, I have never found a non activated coin in a cache (rarely find the activated ones) but I assume they must have a note or something letting you know that it is a gift and not a traveler?

Ok just for clarification, it's ok to collect signature coins? What's the "trade value" if you don't have any of your own?

The Trade Value would depend on how cool you think the item is. Whatever item you ususlly leave in trade could be considered a fair one. I tend to think of most sigitems as having a value of $1, unless it's something fancy. Most would cost less than this to make or buy, but when calculating a Fair Trade, that's the number I use. Must of my sigitems are parts to larger games, and I leave a handful in each Cache so several of the next finders can join the games.

That's right. TB's and activated coins are not trade items. They are meant to be moved so if you can help them along on their mission then you are encouraged to do so. There is no limit to how many you can take at a time (even if some cache owners say not to) - if you can help them move then grab em..

If you find a 'gift' coin, then that should be treated as swag and traded for even or up. Now, I have never found a non activated coin in a cache (rarely find the activated ones) but I assume they must have a note or something letting you know that it is a gift and not a traveler?

I've found two gift coins, and neither had a note, but both were mentioned in the gifters logs, either in the book, or online.

Couldn't a Jesus dollar be a signature item especially amongst Christians? If people get "the treasure" from it fine. If not, treat it like a rusty paperclip.

Ok, I won't feel guilty taking one! (Signature items)

Going out caching today with my nephews and niece. I'm hoping to find some signature coins! (Or other such items)...

Couldn't a Jesus dollar be a signature item especially amongst Christians? If people get "the treasure" from it fine. If not, treat it like a rusty paperclip.

Ok, I won't feel guilty taking one! (Signature items)

Going out caching today with my nephews and niece. I'm hoping to find some signature coins! (Or other such items)...

But it is not a geocoin. It is not a signature coin, it is off topic, it is not trackable on geocaching.com. It does not belong in this forum. Perhaps somewhere out there, there is a forum for it, but this isn't the forum.

So, back on topic: Signature coins.

BrierPatch, thank you so much my friend! :huh:

Eartha, Can I ask something about signature items??

As I saw, there are many different signature items, or things that with a stamp or something are turned into signature items, right? I think I have seen in a site (I do not remember now), that there was a banknote with a stamp of a geocacher on it, and it was used as a signature item! Is that good??

On December 2007, a man was arrested because he was stamping banknotes of Zimbabwe that didn't have actual value because of inflation, with his business details, and he was giving them as business cards, in a money at the World Tourism Market fair!

Zimbambwe said that by that way, he was actually making people not to come to this country, and their money are so useless that only worth to be used as bussines cards!

I do not know what happent but if he was found guilty, he would probably spend a year in prison!

Some Countries have a law, even if you damage a banknote, even if you write something on it! So...