When creating a new cache that I am working on

Hellolost

ok so I can click save and then go back to it let's say tomorrow after placing the cache and then click review.

I don't want to click that bottom button until I am sure it is not going to the reviewers and people start looking before it is even there!

Yep, that's exactly why you can uncheck the box. You'll see it in your account and can edit it all you want...until you check the box that it's ready for review, your reviewer won't see it. And make sure you DON'T check it until your container is out there ready for the FTF hounds to seek it minutes after it's reviewed and published.

Can I just unclick the yes this listing is active box to save it to work on later? Or will it go to the reviewer before I am ready for it to?

That's how I do it. The first thing I do when preparing a cache to be published is unclick the "yes this listing is active box", put in some coordinates and save it. Then I go back to the listing as many times as necessary to make it look just like I want, and once the cache is in place and ready to be found, check the box and submit it for review. For a cache that I recently had published I scoped out the area first and captured a couple of waypoints for a two part multi. After creating the listing I went back out and placed the final and first stage. I didn't care for the spot I had initially found for the first stage so I placed it several hundred feet away. I could still go back to the listing and change the coordinates for the first, and adjust the coordinates for the final before submitting it.

:unsure: I have a few questions as I am in the process of placing my first cache. When you submit the cache for approval, once approved, does the owner of the cache have control of when it is published? The reason I am asking this is I placed 4 caches in one park that 2 require using a boat and the other two can be accessed by boat or land. I don't want all 4 to be published at the same time and one person be the FTF all four. It doesn't seem fair to others who may want to be a FTF. Also, do you have any good ideas on what I should leave for the FTF and for trade items for others? I don't have a lot of money, but would like it to be worth their time finding it.

I should also include that this is an area where swimming is not allowed and you must rent a boat. They don't allow you to bring your own boat (BYOB). The rental is $5/hr. All four caches can be found within 3 hours or the two water ones can be found within 1 - 1 1/2 hours and the others found by land. The money goes to a good cause.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Edited by kd4ocg

You can politely ask your reviewer to delay publishing your caches, and within reason, they will often work with you. Or you could simply stagger your submission of the caches.

The cache that requires the finders to rent a boat possibly will not pass the "commercial" cache prohibition. Is this a non-profit location?

Good point. I didn't think about asking them to delay publishing it.

Another good point about the boat rental. I believe the place to rent the boat is considered a non-profit organiztion. It is a museum. I can double check that.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

One other quick question. No one can see this cache yet right? For example if they looked on my profile they wouldn't see it would they?

As was mentioned, the public will not see your cache until it is published. But a Reviewer can still see your cache if they look at your profile. I didn't know that for years, and thought that my unpublished listing was completely private.

:D I have a few questions as I am in the process of placing my first cache. When you submit the cache for approval, once approved, does the owner of the cache have control of when it is published? The reason I am asking this is I placed 4 caches in one park that 2 require using a boat and the other two can be accessed by boat or land. I don't want all 4 to be published at the same time and one person be the FTF all four. It doesn't seem fair to others who may want to be a FTF. Also, do you have any good ideas on what I should leave for the FTF and for trade items for others? I don't have a lot of money, but would like it to be worth their time finding it.

I should also include that this is an area where swimming is not allowed and you must rent a boat. They don't allow you to bring your own boat (BYOB). The rental is $5/hr. All four caches can be found within 3 hours or the two water ones can be found within 1 - 1 1/2 hours and the others found by land. The money goes to a good cause.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I understand not wanting one person to get all of the FTF's. On the other hand, you might want to think about how much you may be frustrating someone if they have to go and rent a boat one day, find a cache, and then have to go (for instance) the next day and rent a boat again to find the next cache. Just something to think about.

I understand not wanting one person to get all of the FTF's. On the other hand, you might want to think about how much you may be frustrating someone if they have to go and rent a boat one day, find a cache, and then have to go (for instance) the next day and rent a boat again to find the next cache. Just something to think about.

There was a recent series of six caches where the CO requested cachers share FTF on them. They were all within a mile of each other, none of which further than 10' from the road. Four of them were published one day and the other two the next. While I didn't get FTF on any of them I couldn't see driving 12 miles to a cluster of caches, only finding a few of them, then driving back later to get the rest.

I don't usually put great prizes into my caches for FTF. Most of the folks I know who go for FTF think getting that is the prize.

Personally, I'm always a bit disappointed when a new area opens up and one person fills it with several caches, possibly locking any other hides out. I probably should just be grateful the caches are there for me to find, I know, but I like a variety of types of hides, and that is slightly more likely to occur with several cachers creating hides. It's fun to go explore the new area, and perhaps place one yourself. Plus that gives the first person a new cache to find when they next check on their cache; it's a nice way to thank them for bringing you to a great spot.

It's just not reasonable to expect the folks who love FTFs to not try to get all the caches while they are out there. If not allowing one person to get all the FTFs really matters to you, you might place two of the caches (one by land and one by water) and then after they've been there a bit, if no one else hides anything out there, place the other two caches.

As Ambrosia said, it might not just be the FTF hounds you inconvenience by staggering the publish date. What if folks go there to find the caches and try to place a cache themselves while they are there, only to be told you already have other caches hidden "on hold"?

If it's a really nice place for a cache, everyone will appreciate the reason to go back again (or to finally straggle out to grab all the caches at once).