100 mile radius problem

4X4N

Since the new update on the geocaching web site, I can't seem to get anything to work when searching for caches by zip code or address.

Every time I type in a lesser mile, like 3 mi or 5 or 10, site still defaults to 100 miles. Not a problem when I'm home & have high speed internet, but a real hassle when on the road & using my dial up cell phone

hook-up at 19.2 kbps. I've tried typing in an address instead of using the zip codes but still get default to 100 miles. I got the same results on 3 different computers, using XP service pack 2, XP service pack 3,

& Vista. My grlfriend has an even older computer & has the same problem.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, 4X4N

What do you mean when you say it "defaults to 100 miles" ?

When you first get to the create a PQ page the distance does default to 100 miles (and it always has as far as I remember).

Once you put in the zip code, change the distance,submit the query, and preview the cache, your new distance should show in the results.

I just modified one of my PQs to look out only one mile and it worked fine - six caches in the report with the most distant one at one mile.

What do you mean when you say it "defaults to 100 miles" ?

When you first get to the create a PQ page the distance does default to 100 miles (and it always has as far as I remember).

Once you put in the zip code, change the distance,submit the query, and preview the cache, your new distance should show in the results.

I believe the OP was referring to searching from the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page, not from a PQ.

I see the same 100-mile radius problem that the OP sees, when searching from that page.

Every time I type in a lesser mile, like 3 mi or 5 or 10, site still defaults to 100 miles. Not a problem when I'm home & have high speed internet, but a real hassle when on the road & using my dial up cell phone

hook-up at 19.2 kbps.

The problem is easily reproducible and presumably easily fixed.

However, maybe I'm missing something, but: since the results are returned in order of proximity and a page of 20 at a time, I don't see why it would be a major hassle at any modem speed, unless you are carefully reducing the distance to an amount which you know will return less than 20 caches (and even then, the difference between 1 and 20 caches is pretty small since a good part of the page loading time is independent of how many caches there are on it). The site doesn't send the next 20 or 40 or 2,000 caches to your PC until you click on the next page number, so there shouldn't be any slowdown, apart perhaps from a couple of extra seconds to query the database (which is independent of your line speed).