Geocache container idea...

CM2080

red' date='Jul 28 2008, 02:23 PM' post='3577066']

I built this geo cache last week and I want to know if you guys think its cool?

I'd love some feedback.

[/url][/img]

[/url][/img]

OK, I had a really funny comment too, then I caved in and looked the user profile up...

Not sure which of the caches you are talking about, both look pretty ok and straight forward to me.

Nope, the cache is not behind the Avatar either... (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

It is a good idea, been used in some areas already . . . but, so what! It may be NEW to your locals and a fun find, too!

Be sure to put it where it can not be confused or cause less careful/thoughtful cachers to injure themselves. Found one on a T-pole along a road out in the country that had been 'aged' and had been DNFed by many who had not seen such a hide. It can be fun!

I've found several that were variations on this - the ones I like best the plug covers were actually glued shut, the box was mounted on a piece of tubing and the cache was in the tubing. Standing against a telephone pole or the wall of a building it looks perfectly natural, but it moves when you touch it, no need to open or take anything apart.

Shy of the take two for the posting (gee you make mistakes too? :huh: ).

I think that the very point you are making the effort in creating caches is fantastic. Cachers love nothing better than new challenges so keep up the good work. I have found creating caches almost as much fun and finding them. Have fun!

-HHH :)

I've seen several of these.

The better one was magnetic, so once I saw through the deception, I could detach the container and move to a safe place to open it.

The most devilish had a blank cover.

Hmmm, only one screw holding the cover on...wonder why?

Swivel cover open to reveal...several wires, connected with wire-nuts!

Hmmmm, what's that behind the wires? Looks like a container with a piece of paper in it...the log!

Oh, the log was blank...FTF!

Opening the covers of a watertight outlet enclosure, real or fake, is no more dangerous than looking at a burned out light bulb. Go for it.

That's not the point--This type of container should NEVER be used--I teaches cachers to start tearing apart electrical devises in their search--Don't do it.

Opening the covers of a watertight outlet enclosure, real or fake, is no more dangerous than looking at a burned out light bulb. Go for it.

That's not the point--This type of container should NEVER be used--I teaches cachers to start tearing apart electrical devises in their search--Don't do it.

That's what you say. I say it teaches cachers to be able to spot the difference between real and fake, and to only touch the fake ones. It's a great container to use. Go for it.

That's what you say. I say it teaches cachers to be able to spot the difference between real and fake, and to only touch the fake ones. It's a great container to use. Go for it.
By definition, half of all people in the world are of below average intelligence. I’ve met quite a few people (and yes, some of them were geocachers) that I wouldn’t want working around live electrical equipment, especially after they’ve found a few “fake” electrical boxes. Obviously fake boxes (enough to fool a casual observer, but obviously fake to even a rookie geocacher), sure no problem. But realistic boxes are exceedingly dangerous. Unless you believe in the Darwin theory of geocaching: improving the herd through selective elimination.

By definition, half of all people in the world are of below average intelligence. I’ve met quite a few people (and yes, some of them were geocachers) that I wouldn’t want working around live electrical equipment, especially after they’ve found a few “fake” electrical boxes. Obviously fake boxes (enough to fool a casual observer, but obviously fake to even a rookie geocacher), sure no problem. But realistic boxes are exceedingly dangerous. Unless you believe in the Darwin theory of geocaching: improving the herd through selective elimination.

Last night, I was hooking up our Wii. It turns out that the procedure required me to plug that sucker right into a live electrical outlet.

I didn't die. I must be one of the lucky ones.

If I have any advice regarding this type of box, it is to engineer it so that no screwdriver is required to access the cache. Using the Henny Penny theory of geocaching, a container that requires tools to open could be assumed to be 'real', while one that is altered to not require tools is easily determined to be 'fake', even though they look very similar.

By definition, half of all people in the world are of below average intelligence.
That's not true at all. I think you need to look up the definitions of "average" and "median".

I’ve met quite a few people (and yes, some of them were geocachers) that I wouldn’t want working around live electrical equipment, especially after they’ve found a few “fake” electrical boxes. Obviously fake boxes (enough to fool a casual observer, but obviously fake to even a rookie geocacher), sure no problem. But realistic boxes are exceedingly dangerous. Unless you believe in the Darwin theory of geocaching: improving the herd through selective elimination.
I guess I give the average geocacher more credit than you do. I just don't see how having a cache in an electrical box teaches anyone to start tearing apart real electrical boxes in other searches any more than caches in hollow trees teaches them to start cutting open solid trees to see if there's a cache inside.

Gosh I've never considered tearing apart an electric device in searching for a cache. A quick inspection and maybe a small tug to see if it is attached to real wiring has always been enough to tell if this was real or the cache. Now fake sprinkler heads are another matter. :lol:

I don't have much of a problem with caches in electrical boxes in most cases as long as they are done in such a way at they are readily identifiable; they wiggle or the user accessible part that opens then reveals it is a cache. Taking something apart, nah.

The last thing you want to do is create a paradigm of folks taking stuff apart in order to check if it's a cache.

I really do not like these for more than one reason.

1. There are a number of caches in the Jacksonville area hidden on old inactive power boxes. There also are caches hidden NEAR live power boxes and on at least one occasion I have opened the box to look inside. Obvious issue is that it is dangerous.

2. There now are caches hidden around north central Florida using a fake alumnium electric plate with a patch micro on the back. A friend of mine hunted a cache last month and thought he had found one of these -- it was real, and he was confronted by the police for attempting to vandalize university property.

That's all I have on this one...well, perhaps just one more thing -

just as bad are ammo cans that still have the original markings on them regarding the ammunition, in particular when hidden in urban areas

Hey, BakerRed!

I was FTF on this! I thought it was a great container. Upon a quick glance around the immediate area, it blended right in and we almost gave up. Looking closer at the situation, an observant cacher would note that plug boxes are not often found there. The white paint, though, was the best! Great camo. A little nudge of the box told me it was faux, and thus safely found.

Nicely Done.

buffamalo