Google Android

With all the talk of geocaching on the Apple iPhone 3G, which in the US anyhow, requires a rather expensive AT&T contract, I am surprised there isn't more talk of the upcoming Android platform. It will launch this year from T-Mobile, and sometime next year from Sprint (Verizon and AT&T are suposedly not happy about not being able to lock features out and the like on the phones, but are expected to come out with Android compatable phones anyhow).

Since the Android uses a customized version of Java, I would think translating a good geocaching app wouldn't be too hard. Plus all Androids will have GPS enabled... how good that GPS will be will remain to be seen, though SiRF Technology is a member of the Open Handset Alliance (the ones who define the Android hardware). I have seen lots of very cool Android aps/games taking advantage of the Android's GPS, but no geocaching apps yet.

From a programming standpoint the Android seems to have advantages over the iPhone. You can program for it on Linux, Windows, or OSX, not just OSX. The modifications to Java don't seem to complex, mostly loosing the cross platform functionality of Java, but then I don't know much Java, more of a C# man myself... Of course currently being limited to Java and not other language such as C++ may be a limiting factor...

So anyone else looking forward to geocaching with an Android?

Anyone know of any geocaching apps in development for it?

...except that it doesn't exist yet and may not any time soon ...

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.co...1319864,00.html

...Android-based smartphones, though previously anticipated to be available by late 2008, will have to be delayed. Reasons for the delay are vague and many service providers are stating that Android-based devices might not appear until 2009, while Sprint is considering a push towards a 4G compatible OS for its impending WiMAX service. ...

I would need to app to connect directly with Geocaching.com in order to be interested. The part of geocaching that I would like to skip--let me phrase that differently. The part of geocaching that I would like to ENHANCE is its spontaneity. If I can easily see what caches are near me on the fly, then I would be very interested. Otherwise I can just carry my gps with me.

I would need to app to connect directly with Geocaching.com in order to be interested. The part of geocaching that I would like to skip--let me phrase that differently. The part of geocaching that I would like to ENHANCE is its spontaneity. If I can easily see what caches are near me on the fly, then I would be very interested. Otherwise I can just carry my gps with me.

Groundspeak frowns on that, since they have a competing app. You basically can't read off/scrape the Groundspeak site with your application.

One thing you could do is make an app that automatically takes you to the gc.com search page for your current location. Then be a handler for GPX downloads from the site into your app.

Or, you could make an app which can automatically grab your PQs from your email, read them in, and show you what's nearby from the PQ. My PQs cover 30 miles from my home base, which i rarely travel out of, so i'll always have all those in there.

Since the phone has unlimited data service (Required), it's really just an aid for faster paperless caching, tracking finds, trackables, etc. You could do it all with the web browser, but putting it in an app has some conveniences - like being available when there is no phone service in the hills.

I haven't seen much coverage of the GPS outside of the fact it is built in, which we already suspected since it seems GPS is a requirment of the platform, and lots of applications in Google's Developer Chalenge were GPS based. None of them were for geocaching however.

Not that T-Mobile removed the 1GB data cap, it starts looking better... If that cap had stuck, I doubt it would have been much use to anyone.

Perhaps the Geocache Navigator will be ported over.

T-Mobile's unlimited data plan is $25 (includes 400 messages, $10 more for unlimited messages). Those prices seem to be just for the G1.

We have a TMobile 700 Family plan for $59.99 a month right now, so I am guessing if I got just one that would add $25 to the price, so we'll say $85, $105 if we both got one ($125 would give us both unlimited data and messaging). AT&T's 700 family plan (for the iPhone 3G) is $129.99. I am not sure if that is for two iPhones, or just one since there is a cost for an additional iPhone line. AT&T's message plans also seem much higher. Of course AT&T's 3G coverage is much better, and a real 3G, where T-Mobile America's 3G isn't the same.

Lots of complaints about the propriatary headphone port. T-Mobile will include an adapter for free later, but the first few shipments won't have it. I am guessing they'll give one to early adapters for free though.

Odd the video ability is so bad at launch. Of course YouTube is built in, and there are (free?) 3rd party apps that will expand the video ability at launch, just odd it wasn't included in the base phone.

I do have an issue with the price since the iPhone is $199. I was hoping it would top out at $149 to really push it. $179 for a phone with a lot less built in memory (though expandable, which is a huge plus), less video and audio options (well the built in audio player isn't getting high marks anyhow) just doesn't seem to be a good price point.

Still, I want one. If I could afford it, I probably would get one after the first units settled out, the adapter became included and the first real firmware and os updates hit. Of course, I probably wouldn't use it for much of the 3G type stuff anyhow, so that wouldn't be a big issue for me. Download a few cool games and apps, occasionally check my email, outside of that and making calls... But the potential is what really draws me. The openess of the development. Bold of T-Mobile to allow users to modify their phone so much.

:) Sort of all over the place with this post. I need to eat and go to bed.

I wasn't too bothered by the 1GB data cap. I doubt i have come anywhere close to that with my company blackberry which i've been using as my mobile web surfing and caching device.

What's more troubling is the rumor that the cheaper data plan (unlimited data, 400 messages for $25/mo) includes email and IMs in your "400 messages" limit. I can understand texts, but allowing only 400 free emails and IMs would be robbery.

... rumor that the cheaper data plan (unlimited data, 400 messages for $25/mo) includes email and IMs in your "400 messages" limit. I can understand texts, but allowing only 400 free emails and IMs would be robbery.
Well, it's only a rumor. But even if true, how or why is it "robbery?" You always have the option of buying the service - or not.

Robbery would be more like I come at you with a pointy stick and say "gimme your money" and don't give you the option to say no.

That is exactly how I envision using the device. I happen to be out of town and have some free time. Bring up the app that sends current coords to gc.com and return a list of the N closest caches (or all caches within X miles). I highlight the one that I am interested in and bring up its info (and optionally logs). Choose 'Go' and app brings up compass and distance [much like the geocache finder on Garmin GPS Map 60].

Groundspeak frowns on that, since they have a competing app....

What is the competing app? They just now have one for the iPhone which has been out for a couple of years now. There's no mention of an Android version. I guess it doesn't matter too much because from what I've heard the GPS isn't great in the G1 anyway. It would probably work better to just bring up the page and then use my Garmin. Still though, it would be neat to integrate geocaching.com, GPS and even the camera all in one portable geocaching device. See what caches are nearby using google maps with markers (like the kml plugins for google earth, that rocks), use the GPS to find them, use the camera to take a picture of yourself there, complete with location data, and then log your visit on the internet all from one device.

There is now a GeoBrowse app in the Android Market for snapshotting the current location and launching the Google Maps Preview page on geocaching.com for those coordinates.

Unfortunately since the maps preview page uses Javascript to place the cache icons it can take quite a while to see the results as the tiny mobile processor struggles to execute all of the Javascript. Something more dedicated will be needed to make the device truly helpful for casual ad hoc geocaching...

Groundspeak frowns on that, since they have a competing app. You basically can't read off/scrape the Groundspeak site with your application.

Groundspeak obviously can't maintain versions of the application for every device out there (case in point: there is no android application from them yet) - so for them to say "no, you can't do this, only we can" - and then not do anything about it - is ludicrous. They should release an API and allow others to use the API to retrieve things -as it's a lot easier on their servers and on those using the data.

Please explain WHY I should care if they "frown upon" me scraping their servers? I know they can change the format to break my app (big deal) - but if I reverse-engineer whatever their iPhone application does and then use the exact same methods to contact them on my application, I'm not quite sure how they would block that.

Edited by Rye Brye

Please explain WHY I should care if they "frown upon" me scraping their servers? I know they can change the format to break my app (big deal) - but if I reverse-engineer whatever their iPhone application does and then use the exact same methods to contact them on my application, I'm not quite sure how they would block that.

They don't bother to do that. The can just cancel your account and block your IP address.

Just an update, I have all the basic features one would expect in a geocaching app working in my Android app now. I'm currently working on speeding it up and cleaning up a few things. I don't like to release low quality apps.

Suggestions can be posted at:

http://www.cachedroid.com/

How did this post get past the moderators? I also have an Android geocaching app ready to release as soon as commercial apps can go on the Android market. I was forbidden to post here advertising a link to my web site explaining my app and displaying screen shots too.

Groundspeak is very cautious about outside developers intruding on their turf. It seems that anyone with a competitive product has road blocks thrown up to prevent producing it easily. That is a shame as the geocaching community could only grow better with a supported developer attitude.

BTW... let's see if this gets through... my Android app already exceeds Groundspeak's iPhone app with features and addresses most of the complaints from reviewers. Just be patient. In a few weeks it will be out with an iPhone version to soon follow.

Just an update, I have all the basic features one would expect in a geocaching app working in my Android app now. I'm currently working on speeding it up and cleaning up a few things. I don't like to release low quality apps.

Suggestions can be posted at:

http://www.cachedroid.com/

How did this post get past the moderators? I also have an Android geocaching app ready to release as soon as commercial apps can go on the Android market. I was forbidden to post here advertising a link to my web site explaining my app and displaying screen shots too.

Groundspeak is very cautious about outside developers intruding on their turf. It seems that anyone with a competitive product has road blocks thrown up to prevent producing it easily. That is a shame as the geocaching community could only grow better with a supported developer attitude.

From the description it reads as though it functions almost excusively "offline" with GPX files, not by screen-scraping GC.com or using any kind of API.

I don't see how it's any different from GPSrs which read GPX files direct from a memory card. Perhaps that's the difference?

I also have an Android geocaching app ready to release as soon as commercial apps can go on the Android market.

my Android app already exceeds Groundspeak's iPhone app with features and addresses most of the complaints from reviewers. Just be patient. In a few weeks it will be out with an iPhone version to soon follow.

Why not release a limited demo now with an upgrade to a fully functional paid version when paid apps are allowed? Then you could get more testing and more exposure before people have to decide whether to pay money for your app...

There is nothing 'competitive' about my app, and it is free. It is simply an offline GPX viewer with some additional features. I'd love to see them release a better app for android.

There is an entire forum here for discussion of GPS related software and utilities. The moderators very inconsistently seem to prevent people from talking about third party apps but not always.

If your app "already exceeds Groundspeak's iPhone app" in features, then you are surely violating the TOS of geocaching.com.

The Android SDK is so easy that there will surely be several free caching apps. If you're going to charge, then it has to add a lot of value.

-Ben

I see that there are now 2 geocaching apps on the Android Marketplace. GeoBrowse has been around for a while and now GeoBeagle was just added in the last day or so. Both seem to do the exact same thing. Link gc.com maps with your current location and show you nearby caches. The also use the radar functionality to route you to a selected cache.

Still waiting for a cachemate replacement. ;)

I see that there are now 2 geocaching apps on the Android Marketplace. GeoBrowse has been around for a while and now GeoBeagle was just added in the last day or so. Both seem to do the exact same thing. Link gc.com maps with your current location and show you nearby caches. The also use the radar functionality to route you to a selected cache.

Still waiting for a cachemate replacement. ;)

I think the description of GeoBeagle mentions that it replaces the older version. Not sure why they felt a name change was needed, though...

I think the description of GeoBeagle mentions that it replaces the older version. Not sure why they felt a name change was needed, though...

I couldn't find anything on the Marketplace that states that GeoBeagle is an update of GeoBrowse, but the author is the same so you're probably right. Nice to know that I can free up some space on the internal memory. Thanks for the info.

Throwing in my 2 cents. Geobeagle and Radar work extremely well. I download loc files from geocaching.com and put them on my phone. If you use the opera browser instead of the built in one, you can download loc files right to the phone.

I use the maps and pages from geocaching .com on the phone and log my finds while I'm still at the cache. Easy and fun.

"Throwing in my 2 cents. Geobeagle and Radar work extremely well. I download loc files from geocaching.com and put them on my phone. If you use the opera browser instead of the built in one, you can download loc files right to the phone.

I use the maps and pages from geocaching .com on the phone and log my finds while I'm still at the cache. Easy and fun."

Those to work great together and I've found about 60 so far with just my phone. Still waiting on the official app, and forum.

Edited by JohnE5