Gorgeous Gorge Event version II

Fish Eagle

Sorry LeonW there is no place to sit and watch us suffer up or down the George, unless you do the hike yourself :o …..you can be on the top waiting for us or the cachers going down the George with some cold ones… :P

I like to try the bottom-up Fish Eagle…go for it :ph34r:

Sorry to keep you guys in suspense..... :P

There was an issue about accom at the venue because it had all been let out to a group of contractors for an extended period.

The good news is, that's all changed, and it should be available for geocachers subject to final confirmation from the owner. :anibad:

Date 28/29 Sept 2008, similar format as the previous one.

Gorge hike on Sat pm (no Sunday hike)

Lekker braai and social Sat evening

If there's enough support (not many idiots cachers required), we can attempt a bottom-up hike at the same time as the others do a top-down hike.

Top-down hike was previously 5 hrs, I suggest 6 hrs to allow more time to savour the nature feast.

Bottom-up 3 hrs, if you can keep up with me...... OK, maybe 7-8 hrs, if I can keep up with you :D

Edited to add:

Once I get confirmation about the accom (hopefully tomorrow), I'll list an event.

Hope I don't have to bribe the reviewer to get it published.... :blink:

Edited by Fish Eagle

:D We will attend – there are too many good caches to be found in this area which is crying for some finds. I also challenge all the tonteldoos owners to be present – this is a good time to meet the face behind the cache and to share some ideas or just to chat to each other.

My daughter however bailed out of the trip but she could change her mind. I tried to talk to my dog but I am still waiting for his answer. So I am not sure if he wants to go with. He will confirm later.

This time around we will take the video camera with. One day when I sit in front of the heater; trembling with the blanket wrapped tight around my legs I can show the children our caching days. :rolleyes:

We are planning to do the following caches the next day -Black Eagle, Sweaty palms, High Road and Porcelain. For a while we are targeting these caches but we were not in a position to do them. They are rated as a 1.5/3.5 caches.

If the 4x4 trip is too risky then we are in for a long walk. Is there anyone crazy enough to join us? Gerhard

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

We are planning to do the following caches the next day -Black Eagle, Sweaty palms, High Road and Porcelain. For a while we are targeting these caches but we were not in a position to do them. They are rated as a 1.5/3.5 caches.

If the 4x4 trip is too risky then we are in for a long walk. Is there anyone crazy enough to join us?

Gerhard

If you are a experienced 4x4 rock climbing guru and I mean “massive rocks” and not “stones” you will maybe succeed or end on the roof of the 4x4 vehicle.

Edited by RedGlobe

:laughing: We will attend – there are too many good caches to be found in this area which is crying for some finds. I also challenge all the tonteldoos owners to be present – this is a good time to meet the face behind the cache and to share some ideas or just to chat to each other.

My daughter however bailed out of the trip but she could change her mind. I tried to talk to my dog but I am still waiting for his answer. So I am not sure if he wants to go with. He will confirm later.

This time around we will take the video camera with. One day when I sit in front of the heater; trembling with the blanket wrapped tight around my legs I can show the children our caching days. :laughing:

If the 4x4 trip is too risky then we are in for a long walk. Is there anyone crazy enough to join us? Gerhard

Gerhard

Hi Gerhard,

did the high road and other 3 caches up the Ox Wagon trial myself, OK the number of stars could be higher, but it is a good challenge for an experienced 4x4 driver. After all you are guided by the owner, but as said, it is challenging and do not attempt if not sure about your 4x4 limits.

Advise from Cache Fan.

P.S. We enjoyed to ride up there, even if tricky, but the guidance was great and no damage to the car (a Drifter 4x4)

Should be a doddle in the park for my trusty Corsa 4x4. Pit it against Ginger's Corsa 4x4.

The question is now wheather i can make it that weekend as I have a major project comming up at work and we are not sure when... it was due to start today....

You do realise that mine is actually 4 wheel drive.... (It has 4 wheels and I drive)

Edited by Wazat

Wazat, my little private trip is nothing against the Gorge hike.

The scenery in this Gorge is good and quite pleasurable. The cachers in my previous group were an excellent bunch of people. My daughter battled the last time but some of the members immediately helped when we were struggling with some of the obstacles. They were under no obligation to help because that is actually my problem.

The team leader was good and everybody behaved. In some of the previous non caching hikes I have done there was sometimes a person that knows better and that believes that he/she must take the lead and that he/she is in control. During the previous Gorge hike it was good to notice that they let the guide do his thing and the group followed. But at the same time the group was not dummies – when advice was needed the group contributed. I think it will be the same with this trip after all it will be a very bad caching move to make the reviewer angry. :laughing:

This is one of the best trips you can make and it is something to remember. The best part of the hike was the sandwiches and coke that was waiting at the end. It never tasted that good. :laughing::D:(

I know that work comes first. If there is a chance please feel welcome to leave your vehicle at my house and we can go together if you want. I am going that way and there is no difference in my fuel consumption. Drop me an e-mail if needed. The other part is that there are some good caches in that area. By the way we are on our way very early on Friday for business in Natal – I will drop an e-mail to you when things are organized. We will probably hit a couple of easy ones on the way. Main focus is to get two very important caches – one in Durban and one at Howick. You will know which and why,

Maybe this is the last opportunity – maybe FishEagle will now have to make this a yearly tradition.

I would like to make one recommendation. But I will drop a private e-mail to Andy.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa
Yes Yes Yes Yes RedGlobe will be there, but due to late Friday night responsibilities we will arrive too late for the up hike and thus the down hike is the only option now. Please put us down for one person on the down hike and two for the braai and over night stay.
Quoted from your log on the event listing... (Thanks for the enthusiastic response!!)

If you really want to do the "up" hike, and knowing your level of fitness and agility, I can arrange a guide from the "spider club" to take you (and others) up in 5-6 hours.

I can't do that - 7-8 hours for me (maybe). I've done a 150m backtrack in the awkward part of the gorge before, and it was a killer.

Alternatively, if you can find another sucker cacher or two, using my GPS tracks, the land owner may be OK that you guide yourselves up.....

If you're interested, I'll ask.

Mmm thanks for trying to go the extra mile to accommodate me for the blood and tears up-hike Fish Eagle… ;) .but I think the down-hike with all the other friendly, crazy, mad and helpful cachers will be the best experience for us; :) we tasted this last time, and are coming back for more. At least then I can enjoy the braai after the hike and not trying to recover from all the pain. (Hopefully I will not go down like some cachers last time with bruises to show… :D )

I included a link to the two videos of the Gorgeous Gorges event. Please note that these are huge files and it will download very slowly. You need a fast connection and patience to see this one. With a dialup connection the video download will be a real challenge and it is not recommended.

I allowed the download of these videos and with the correct software you should be able to do a copy of these file or embedding it onto another website if you wish to do so. The complete video is about 33 minutes. We will include some of the photos of the other cachers as well – but I need the permission from the owners to do this. I will arrange it in due course. Other photos will be appreciated. We are planning to add event number 1 on the DVD as well.

Please note that this is not a professional video - only an amateur video for the remembrance of the event and to say thanks to Fish Eagle. If there are any objections against the videos on YOUTUBE then I will remove it.

There should be enough space left for event number 3 on our DVD. :laughing:

Gerhard

Eish, the guys picked up on the heavy breathing! :laughing: It makes you wonder what the guy behind the camera was doing. I tried to cut it out, only the best parts remained. I would not like to go down as a heavy breather.

Now I am worried about the rest of the 33 minute video. Maybe some music but then again one loose a lot of the talk. I viewed the video couple of times and every time I hear a different story from the cachers. It is amazing what you see afterwards on the clip.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe some cachers will be jealous - now that they can see what they have missed. Time to speak to Fish Eagle about the next one.

Enjoy.

Gerhard

Ja, ja, ja. I was jealous from the start when I found out that I'll be missing this one aswell.

Thanks for stirring it even further with your video, Gerhard. But at least it look like you all enjoyed it. At least this was the easy one without the water.

Now for GGEIII ?? It does sound like those Die Hard Movies but this is much more fun than sitting watching a movie.

Bouts,

I did not even start to stir. If the video is ok with FishEagle then I will publish event number 1. That is stirring. :laughing:

FishEagle organized one event with water, one without water, so what is his next move? Maybe a trip up in the Gorge, I heard that GpsStorm and RedGlobe want to go up. But that is the decision for the organizer. Gerhard

Greetings from the KNP - camping again..... :blink:

Nice clips - we thoroughly enjoyed them, and they brought back many memories.

We'd love to see your footage of v1.00 too.

What next..? Phew, dunno.

Sometimes I think I'm getting too old for this sort of frivolity. :laughing:

But I'm a sucker for punishment, so who knows.....?