entering postcodes on search page

Is anyone else getting an error message when they enter their postcode on the cache search page or is it just me?

Im not getting an error message, but since the changes if I enter my full postcode I end up with a search based in Indiana, which is strange as I live in Newcasle Staffs. If I just put in the 1st 3 digits then it seems ok.

Ive tried other full postcodes in Staffordshire and Cornwall and they seem to return the correct search so I dont know whats happening there.

Any ideas?

It's quite amusing to type in a UK postcode several times with one character more each time and see where it brings you out. For example "B13" does what you'd hope for, "B138" is in Austria, "B138LX" is in Bavaria.

That said, the whole field (on the general seek page) is misconceived since there is no way to indicate which country you're talking about. Any 5-digit number will presumably be interpreted as being in the US, and reasonably smart code can probably distinguish between Canadian, Dutch, and UK postcodes. But people in almost every other country have to go through the country page anyway. It might be simpler if they just put "US only" on that box and some indication of how to search by postcode in other countries.

It's quite amusing to type in a UK postcode several times with one character more each time and see where it brings you out. For example "B13" does what you'd hope for, "B138" is in Austria, "B138LX" is in Bavaria.

That said, the whole field (on the general seek page) is misconceived since there is no way to indicate which country you're talking about. Any 5-digit number will presumably be interpreted as being in the US, and reasonably smart code can probably distinguish between Canadian, Dutch, and UK postcodes. But people in almost every other country have to go through the country page anyway. It might be simpler if they just put "US only" on that box and some indication of how to search by postcode in other countries.

Ages ago I put up a post on the main forum about the website and specifically this (click here for post). I asked that the text describing the box was changed to indicate which countries supported the postcode option and what to put in. This came about after that article in the Guardian (I think it was) where the reporter had said she had difficulty finding anything using the search box.

If I remember correctly my post was never answered!

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

This won't help you but.... the postcode search works everytime for me, either from the home page box or the advanced search. I can't actually make it go wrong unless you enter the code without the space in the middle, then it just doesn't find anything. I wonder if there is something in peoples profiles that is causing the problem.

Lets hope GSP pick up on it

Chris (MrB)

I wonder if there is something in peoples profiles that is causing the problem.

Sounds a bit unlikely. I've used postcodes from various places and had different results - some found, some not, all inaccurate. I think the "feature" I mentioned before is the most likely (only using the first part, before the space). I have no idea why your should be spot-on, unless you happen to live in the location defined by the first part of the post code (possible!).

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I get an additional problem with IE. Also gives me error message "a location for " cannot be determined". It then places me in portugal

Isn't that the same error as in the post I referred to? :D

Not sure, are you getting an error dialogue that you have to 'OK' before it takes you to the wrong place? I don't get the error message in Firefox, Opera or Safari, jsut IE. All browsers take me to the same wrong place, buyt only IE has the additional error dialogue box, so I thought I would mention it in case it shed some light.

I have also reported the fault in the other thread, but as you said, no response.

Perhaps if I said it only seems to affect the UK and that is why there is no response it might get noticed, but then I might get into trouble so I won't say it.

Not sure, are you getting an error dialogue that you have to 'OK' before it takes you to the wrong place? I don't get the error message in Firefox, Opera or Safari, jsut IE. All browsers take me to the same wrong place, buyt only IE has the additional error dialogue box, so I thought I would mention it in case it shed some light.

It's the one I linked to...

"This has been pointed out several times on the main thread. Without response up to now."

Yes, you have to "OK" it. I've just tried it in Firefox and had exactly the same error. As I said above and on the main thread, the only way around it is to use the Advanced Search, which works except it ignores the second part of the postcode.

This is covered in the latest release thread in the website forum. We are aware of the problem and it will be fixed. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Yes I was getting the error message and thanks for the response to the problem driving me nuts as every search ends up in Jersey a place i love but cant cache there whilst in derby

It's the one I linked to...

"This has been pointed out several times on the main thread. Without response up to now."

Yes, you have to "OK" it. I've just tried it in Firefox and had exactly the same error. As I said above and on the main thread, the only way around it is to use the Advanced Search, which works except it ignores the second part of the postcode.

Hey it worked. If we moan about it in enough places someone eventually notices.... or more to the point tells us that they have noticed.

I'll shut up now.